PDA

View Full Version : OOPS! aka does anyone know anything about engines?

Dare
6th December 2009, 18:23
I know this is a bike forum but I figured this is where I'm most likely to find people that know what they are talking about..

I have just (accidentally) won a 1300cc mini block with pistons etc off tardme, http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=257120017 does anyone know people that have tools for rebuilding engines/the ability to tell if this $250 engine is going to need excessive replacement that can come with me to pick it up? :sweatdrop I'd rather look stupid bail on a trade than discover that I'm making a newbie mistake and buying a pile of scrap metal.

In other words $250 seems too cheap, am I missing something?

CookMySock
6th December 2009, 18:32
er, unless you really need an engine to rebuild, I don't think it is any bargain.

Steve

nothingflash
6th December 2009, 18:56
Interesting accident.

Dare
6th December 2009, 18:57
er, unless you really need an engine to rebuild, I don't think it is any bargain.

Steve

Rebuilding is the intention, it's hardly going anywhere as it is :crazy:

CookMySock
6th December 2009, 20:55
Usually with engines, the devil you know is better than the one you don't. So if you have an engine and you have run it yourself for some time, then rebuild that rather than buy some unknown junk that might be all scrap, but sometimes you strike a good one.

Good luck! :niceone:

Steve

motorbyclist
7th December 2009, 00:11
I'd be keen to come have a look, and suspect form the pics there's likely to be bits missing, but you clearly thought it was good enough for $250 then so why not now?

(what i mean is don't waste other people's time; seller was happy to let you view before bidding, so go pick it up and at the worst you've got some spare parts and have to skip a few rides and a night on the town to pay for them)

Usually with engines, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

very good advice

motorbyclist
7th December 2009, 01:02
I'd be keen to come have a look, and suspect form the pics there's likely to be bits missing,

yeah you'd need a few more bits to get that thing assembled, and a few more to get it running... plus a bucket of various bolts, washers and circlips

koba
7th December 2009, 06:30
If you have won the auction go and get it.
$250 is not heaps to loose, even i it is rubbish.
You are bound to get somthing for it/out of it.

There are quite a few good books on rebuliding and modifying mini engines.
here is an example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuning-Engine-Definitive-Performance-Economy/dp/1859606202

Your local repco can get in books like this.

CookMySock
7th December 2009, 07:49
If you have won the auction go and get it.
$250 is not heaps to loose, even i it is rubbish. I'll stick my spoke in here.. If you don't want it, don't pay for it, and don't go and get it. It will piss him off and he will likely neg feed you for it, but who gives a shit.. life goes on..

Keep your money in your pocket and spend it on what you need, if thats what you want to do. Don't worry about what others think.

Steve

Dare
7th December 2009, 09:37
I'll stick my spoke in here.. If you don't want it, don't pay for it, and don't go and get it. It will piss him off and he will likely neg feed you for it, but who gives a shit.. life goes on..

Keep your money in your pocket and spend it on what you need, if thats what you want to do. Don't worry about what others think.

Steve

I've been messing with mini's for over 5 years now, I'm pretty sure of what you can expect from a car/part off trademe (ie. lots of suprises). I have been looking for a 1300cc for years, but they have always been a grand for one some guy just pulled out of a car at the wreckers, which could have literally anything wrong with it. I have a donor engine but it's a 1000cc so ideally I will be paying for block/crank work, and the differences between the two engines (there aren't too many, BMC was lazy), and whatever else is left that was missing .

I'd be keen to come have a look, and suspect form the pics there's likely to be bits missing, but you clearly thought it was good enough for $250 then so why not now?
Awesome what's your number?
The only reason is paranoia, mostly 1300's go for a grand at least, especially a-plus ones which this is, so I was expecting at least one more bid. I think what is more likely is no one else is looking for a 1300 engine to rebuild right now, the community isnt that huge.

Real_Wolf
7th December 2009, 09:53
I'll chuck you his number when my phone battery decides its no longer dead

Juzz976
7th December 2009, 10:14
Dude my son hit buy now on something that was $300 and I did not want. So I emailed the guy and flicked him $30 for his troubles and apologised so got no neg feedback.

your gonna spend some cash and time on rebuiling that engine, even finding out whats missing or needs replacing is gonna be a whole lot of hassle.

If you got tools, space and time and its what you really want then go for it, I'd look hard at the crank journals first tho.

Your changing the engine so u may need mounts, driveshafts and other bits for A CERT!. We did an H22A mini a few years back which was a mission but well worth it in the end. if it were a 1300 sohc I wouldn't even bother, thats just me tho.

CookMySock
7th December 2009, 11:46
they have always been a grand for one some guy just pulled out of a car at the wreckers, which could have literally anything wrong with it. [....] The only reason is paranoia, mostly 1300's go for a grand at least, especially a-plus ones which this is, so I was expecting at least one more bid.Fuck, why are you asking us then? Go pick the fucker up.

We did an H22A mini a few years back which was a mission but well worth it in the end.Farken arse! That would be scary! :shit:

Steve

Juzz976
7th December 2009, 12:07
Fuck, why are you asking us then? Go pick the fucker up.

Farken arse! That would be scary! :shit:

Steve

Mad torque steer and we didn''t want to spend so much on suspension so trying to stop front tires from skipping wasn't in the budget.
Sounded fucking awsome and skidded hard thats about it.

Dare
7th December 2009, 12:14
Your changing the engine so u may need mounts, driveshafts and other bits for A CERT!. We did an H22A mini a few years back which was a mission but well worth it in the end. if it were a 1300 sohc I wouldn't even bother, thats just me tho.

Good advice, How much did the H22A cost all up? Bet it went like a burnt cat :yes:

Juzz976
7th December 2009, 14:22
$2200 there abouts + Cert including car. not including cams and tires
Consider tho a joint venture between a sparky, mechanic and heavy fab engineer so that kept the costs down.
The H22A was my idea because it wasn't my ideal project but was happy to have some input. I like the sound of H22A's. big bore 4's sound better than smaller 6's + shorter & weigh less and fwd.
Would keep up with my subie in a staight line on a dry road, nothing spectacular. JUN cams helped too

Dare
7th December 2009, 14:30
$2200 there abouts + Cert including car. not including cams and tires
Consider tho a joint venture between a sparky, mechanic and heavy fab engineer so that kept the costs down.
The H22A was my idea because it wasn't my ideal project but was happy to have some input. I like the sound of H22A's. big bore 4's sound better than smaller 6's + shorter & weigh less and fwd.
Would keep up with my subie in a staight line on a dry road, nothing spectacular. JUN cams helped too

Nice, I'm guessing skipping and torque steer would make it a bitch in the corners without spending money on suspension + sticky tyres. If I had serious money and friends with skills in that kind of area i'd go vtec fwd. Hyabusa rwd one day...