PDA

View Full Version : NZ MP in trouble for riding without helmet… in parliament

Bob
10th December 2009, 01:33
When you are trying to get away from the stereotypical image of bikers as troublemakers, it really doesn’t help when your local MP flaunts the law on a bike!

Maori Party MP Hone Harawira is in trouble, for riding a motorcycle on the forcourt at NZ’s Parliament, without a helmet.

Mr Harawira committed the offence when he met with a group of anti-violence demonstrators on the forecourt. Complaints from TV viewers to the police led to further investigations. As the public has access to the forecourt, it qualifies as a road… so Harawira was breaking the law at the very place they are made.

The police now need to decide what action is to be taken.

JimO
10th December 2009, 06:06
nothing will happen

Str8 Jacket
10th December 2009, 06:08
I thought that Donkey had already said that he shouldn't be charged? Compared it to the 'tractor incident' at Parliament or something....

Must be something about to happen that he will need the Maori Party vote for...

CookMySock
10th December 2009, 06:15
Thats a bit pedantic innit? Who does it affect? Motorcyclists ARE troublemakers, and legislaters will be best served to not forget that.

Steve

JimO
10th December 2009, 06:49
Thats a bit pedantic innit? Who does it affect? Motorcyclists ARE troublemakers, and legislaters will be best served to not forget that.

Steve

wanker.......

p.dath
10th December 2009, 07:16
nothing will happen

+1. Nothing ever happens to him. There are no consequences too any of his actions, so why should he bother doing anything different.

The Everlasting
10th December 2009, 07:20
He seems to be above the law,so he will get nothing sadly.....:mad:

Kiwi Graham
10th December 2009, 07:25
Teflon Hone has nothing to worry about, even his shit dont stink. Luckely for him the Maori party has given him an inexhaustible supply of 'get out of jail free' cards. He can do no wrong now.

James Deuce
10th December 2009, 07:36
Hone is something you guys all claim to want in Parliament; a principled politician with clear goals and objectives. Irrespective of whether or not you agree with him, remember that he is encumbered by "friends" who drop him in the crap at the drop of a hat by forwarding personal emails. People say worse about Maori, Jews, Germans, the French, Catholics, practically anyone who isn't a pale Kiwi mongrel on Kiwi Biker, but you hold your politicians to higher standards. What the?

I've argued the double standards thing in support of MPs having a greater responsibility to be model citizens previously. I was wrong. They're just people.

He spent taxpayers money on a junket to Paris when he was sent to represent us in Belgium. That's naughty. He needs to be punished for that, not personal emails, nor riding on a driveway with no helmet on.

Providing visual tacit support to the Bikeoi by riding a bike on the day is the best we'll get from the Maori Party.

p.dath
10th December 2009, 16:37
Hone is something you guys all claim to want in Parliament; a principled politician with clear goals and objectives.

Check. Check. Yes those two are on my list.

Mis-appropriating tax payer funds. Nope, that's not on my list.

Also on my check list is that politicians need to be held to a higher standard than everyone else.
I don't want parliament filled with 100 odd ordinary people. I want parliament filled with really "good" people, who are above average, who are leaders, who have management skills, you can identify problems and implement solutions.

Hone does not meet my check list of requirements, and he wont be getting my vote. Hone leaving parliament would help create a vacancy for someone else who may be truly exceptional and really make a difference.

But these are my requirements. Perhaps you are happy to settle for so much less James. And hence, we both get to have a vote to decide how NZ will be shaped.

James Deuce
10th December 2009, 17:16
Do you ever read a whole post or do you just cherry pick and hold forth without actually understanding what you read?

JimO
10th December 2009, 17:25
Do you ever read a whole post or do you just cherry pick and hold forth without actually understanding what you read?

yes............bahahaha

Katman
10th December 2009, 20:40
wanker.......

I'd have said the same thing but I'm doing a balancing act with my infraction points.

:msn-wink:

merv
10th December 2009, 21:31
You did read this thread first didn't ya? http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=114417

motor_mayhem
10th December 2009, 22:47
Hone is something you guys all claim to want in Parliament; a principled politician with clear goals and objectives. Irrespective of whether or not you agree with him, remember that he is encumbered by "friends" who drop him in the crap at the drop of a hat by forwarding personal emails. People say worse about Maori, Jews, Germans, the French, Catholics, practically anyone who isn't a pale Kiwi mongrel on Kiwi Biker, but you hold your politicians to higher standards. What the?

I've argued the double standards thing in support of MPs having a greater responsibility to be model citizens previously. I was wrong. They're just people.

He spent taxpayers money on a junket to Paris when he was sent to represent us in Belgium. That's naughty. He needs to be punished for that, not personal emails, nor riding on a driveway with no helmet on.

Providing visual tacit support to the Bikeoi by riding a bike on the day is the best we'll get from the Maori Party.

You ever heard of that saying that goes "With power comes responsibility". If they don't think they can handle the responsibility then they should quit. Members of Parliament are voted in as members of parliament so they can be RESPONSIBLE for the people and their welfare and rights as well as their own actions.

I think if Hone had have gone to Paris and then came home AND APOLOGISED AT THAT TIME then we would say he's just another politician with his hand in the cookie jar and he would be (even if he hadn't resigned which would have been the honorable thing). To then write an abusive letter, a racist letter notwithstanding, abusing the tax payers whose money he STOLE is beyond insulting. Any person who steals from another individual or from a company and gets caught usually gets taken to court and fined if not put in jail. But Hone's party gave him a 29 day holiday and then carry on like nothing has happened.

Hone may well be a principled politician but from what he has shown us, his principles have nothing to do with doing what's best for New Zealand, only doing what's best for Hone Harawira. If you are asked to be accountable for your actions by a friend or anyone else, you should be. This is what the courts ask every day of people who break the law.

An All Black represents New Zealand on the rugby field. A Black Stick represents New Zealand on the hockey field. A Silver Fern represents New Zealand on the netball court. A MP represents the New Zealand Government at a political forum.

Note Deuce that it's not an issue of race, it's an issue of an irresponsible individual who has done something bad and tried to justify it by saying something racist.

James Deuce
10th December 2009, 22:54
When did I make it a race issue?

Why does everyone keep reiterating my points in paragraphs of 1 million words or more?

slowpoke
11th December 2009, 21:22
When did I make it a race issue?

Why does everyone keep reiterating my points in paragraphs of 1 million words or more?

Hone made it a race issue.

And your post was rebutted, not reiterated.

As per your original post Jim, Hone certainly does have his principles, but they are divisive and based on hate. It may be just a private email between a coupla mates but it gives an interesting, rather ugly insight. Based on that email there quite simply is no "we", it's just "us" and "them". Oh, and going by his bullshit overseas activities there's most definitely a "me".

James Deuce
11th December 2009, 21:34
Not it wasn't rebutted, because the bulk of people's replies revolved around punishing Hone for wasting taxpayers money whilst overseas. I said that should happen too. I'm not sure people are actually reading my post and understanding it so I'll bullet point it:

1. KB has some of the most racist people I have ever come across, posting worse race hate diatribes than Hone wrote in the offending email, on a regular basis.

2. It isn't illegal to ride a motorcycle on a private road without a helmet. Many of you do it at home. What's the big deal?

3. He bunked off when he should have gone to a meeting we paid him to go to. Naughty boy needs proper punishing for that. Thanks to the racist's making a big deal out of an email a "mate" of his leaked to the press (real mates don't do stuff that will fuck you over) he's escaped punishment for missing a meeting we paid him to go to.

ManDownUnder
11th December 2009, 21:38
The police now need to decide what action is to be taken.

Why yes.. they do.

oldguy
11th December 2009, 21:38
Hone made it a race issue.

And your post was rebutted, not reiterated.

As per your original post Jim, Hone certainly does have his principles, but they are divisive and based on hate. It may be just a private email between a coupla mates but it gives an interesting, rather ugly insight. Based on that email there quite simply is no "we", it's just "us" and "them". Oh, and going by his bullshit overseas activities there's most definitely a "me".

Its what the world revolves around, It has always been about us and them. depending on your point of view.

who cares if he wore a helmet or not.

oldguy
11th December 2009, 21:49
Not it wasn't rebutted, because the bulk of people's replies revolved around punishing Hone for wasting taxpayers money whilst overseas. I said that should happen too. I'm not sure people are actually reading my post and understanding it so I'll bullet point it:

1. KB has some of the most racist people I have ever come across, posting worse race hate diatribes than Hone wrote in the offending email, on a regular basis.

2. It isn't illegal to ride a motorcycle on a private road without a helmet. Many of you do it at home. What's the big deal?

3. He bunked off when he should have gone to a meeting we paid him to go to. Naughty boy needs proper punishing for that. Thanks to the racist's making a big deal out of an email a "mate" of his leaked to the press (real mates don't do stuff that will fuck you over) he's escaped punishment for missing a meeting we paid him to go to.

I agree, He's a politician, he did what politicians have done for years, not only in this country but around the world, the only thing is he's Maori so that singles him out.

pritch
11th December 2009, 23:07
I want parliament filled with really "good" people, who are above average, who are leaders, who have management skills, you can identify problems and implement solutions.

Shit oh dear! Are you ever doomed to a life of disappointment :whistle:

I don't regard myself as a cynic. On the other hand cynicism would seem the appropriate way to regard politicians...

As the old joke says, the last person to enter Parliament with honest intentions was Guy Fawkes

James Deuce
11th December 2009, 23:21
You're not a cynic, just an experienced realist.

Big Dave
12th December 2009, 06:11
When you are trying to get away from the stereotypical image of bikers as troublemakers,

Counts me out then.

CookMySock
12th December 2009, 07:13
Note Deuce that it's not an issue of race, it's an issue of an irresponsible individual who has done something bad and tried to justify it by saying something racist.I don't think he tried to justify it.. I think he took umbrage at the fact some whitey told him off, and since he is superiour to all whiteys on account he is tangata whenua and everyone else are just visitors, then they can get bent.

KB has some of the most racist people I have ever come across, posting worse race hate diatribes than Hone wrote in the offending email, on a regular basis.I think a large proportion of that is members being mock-abusive. I can be horrifically abusive with a smirk on my face.. ala chinx, blax, jews et al, but the internet either isolates the reader from said smirk, or leaves opportunities open for the reader to project their own prejudice onto the remark.

Steve

Tank
12th December 2009, 08:00
I don't think he tried to justify it.. I think he took umbrage at the fact some whitey told him off, and since he is superiour to all whiteys on account he is tangata whenua and everyone else are just visitors, then they can get bent.

I think a large proportion of that is members being mock-abusive. I can be horrifically abusive with a smirk on my face.. ala chinx, blax, jews et al, but the internet either isolates the reader from said smirk, or leaves opportunities open for the reader to project their own prejudice onto the remark.

Steve

How someone reads your post dosnt show their prejudice - In most cases they simply read it as it is written. Take ownership for the tripe you write - dont blame it on others and how they read it.

As for you typing some of that with a smirk on your face - I always pictured you with your head off to the side, tongue hanging out and dribbling.

Blue TLS
18th December 2009, 00:32
Politicians get busted for this sort of thing all the time but most of them say they are sorry and promise they wont do it again, not this one it seems.
As far as I'm concerned Hone Harawira is on my short list of people I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire. Now I better get my white mofo ass back to raping this land

SS90
18th December 2009, 01:23

I agree with most of what you write James, but I have to disagree with a key point (that being the "personal emails").

Now, while I don't see a problem with him riding a bike with no helmet in front of parliament (it's in a similar vein to the tractor incident), and I feel that members of parliament need some scope to draw attention to things that would otherwise be brushed under the carpet....but.....

A member of parliament needs to set certain examples particularly when it comes to matters of race relations, be they in a "personal" email or otherwise.

Was I offended?

You bet.

I didn't shed a wee tear, nor did I contact my mates and have a little councilling session before calling my mummy.

But, I was offended.

Why?

Because there is no way in hell I would ever write such an insulting email about any race of people, let alone using the words he did, and as such feel insulted if someone else did it about my race.

Sure, there is a part of me that sympathises with the subject of his letter, and the little conspiracy theorist inside me can't shake the niggly feeling that he was in no way surprised that this email made it into the public eye.........

For years Maori truly where discriminated against, and he is old enough to remember it first hand, now I am in no way trying to make light of it, but it's no where near as bad as other indigenous people have had it (and most places still do), but the important thing that we can't lose sight of is moving on.

He clearly is not ready to do so.

Modern Maoridom clearly champion the concept of "role models", and, as a member of Parliament, he is duty bound to be one.

But, he is a BAD role model for the Maori youth of today.

Simply, writing trashy (I think criminal) emails such as that tells me he needs to leave his job immediately and let someone else do his job correctly.

Shit, he won't even applogise for the email, only the words he used.

Bob
30th December 2009, 01:15
I almost didn't post this, fearing a riot, but news is news...

NZ Police have decided that no action will be taken against MP Hone Harawira for riding a motorbike without a helmet.

Following a television news item where Mr Harawira was shown riding on the parliament forecourt, police were contacted by members of the public. After studying the issues, Inspector Peter Cowan said after careful consideration, including public interest, the matter will not proceed further.

p.dath
30th December 2009, 10:45
NZ Police have decided that no action will be taken against MP Hone Harawira for riding a motorbike without a helmet.

What, not even a fake apology this time?

Nonbeliever
30th December 2009, 15:52
of course honey is a racist, everyone in the maori party is racist, they are in a race based party.

If I started a party called the "european ethnicity party" I'd be labeled a racist,but for some reason this doesnt seem to apply to the maori party?? why not?

What really makes me laugh is how honey called John Howard (ex aus pm) "a racist bastard" ....one word for you honey......hypocrite (if thats spelt right)

NordieBoy
7th January 2010, 15:12
What, not even a fake apology this time?

From Hone or the Police?

Daffyd
10th January 2010, 15:25
If I started a party called the "european ethnicity party" I'd be labeled a racist,but for some reason this doesnt seem to apply to the maori party?? why not?

Same applies all over the place. Try starting up a whites only rugby team or private school. Yet we have our Maori All Blacks, Turakina Moari girls' College, and I think there's a boys' one, too. St Peter's?