PDA

View Full Version : Bikers collide in Canterbury (12 December)

Hopeful Bastard
12th December 2009, 19:01
A motorcyclist was serious injured in a collision at Waiau in north Canterbury this afternoon.

The accident happened at 3.50pm when two motorcyclists collided on the Waiau bridge.
A police southern communications spokesman said one of the motorcyclists was seriously injured and had been flown to hospital.

The Waiau bridge had been closed. Emergency services were at the scene and investigators were looking in the cause of the crash.
The bridge would be re-opened as soon as possible.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/6578945/bridge-closed-after-motorcyclists-collide/

Anyone know who the dude is or how he is doing?

Foxzee
12th December 2009, 19:18
Farken hell......what is it with today and motorcycles accidents....:(

Thoughts to rider and family

klingon
12th December 2009, 19:28
Anyone know who the dude is or how he is doing?

Just a reminder that since the injuries are apparently serious (according to the news report) we won't be discussing the identity of the rider on here without his/her explicit permission (or when their identity is revealed in the media).

Thanks for showing respect to the rider and his/her family and friends.

Hopeful Bastard
12th December 2009, 19:35
Just a reminder that since the injuries are apparently serious (according to the news report) we won't be discussing the identity of the rider on here without his/her explicit permission (or when their identity is revealed in the media).

Thanks for showing respect to the rider and his/her family and friends.

:Oops: forgot bout that part

:grouphug: for his friends and family

mikeey01
12th December 2009, 23:23
O hell another bike V bike and in Canterbury too..... God dam it :brick:

Guzza
12th December 2009, 23:38
Farken hell......what is it with today and motorcycles accidents....:(

Thoughts to rider and family

Its a long one lane bridge if thats got anything to do with it

CookMySock
13th December 2009, 06:01
Its a long one lane bridge if thats got anything to do with itShould be able to fit two bikes down that comfortably.. Hoping he's alright..

Another reminder to us all to wise up and think ahead.

Steve

YellowDog
13th December 2009, 06:22
Yep, spot on there with the pricvacy thing.

When anything like this happens it is generally total curiosity from other bikers as to what actually happened.

Hope the dudes OK.

cynna
13th December 2009, 07:20
the wind was very strong yesterday and the bridges are very exposed so maybe that was the cause.

shrub
13th December 2009, 10:18
I was there and one of the two riders was my son who was hit from behind. The other guy came off and my son stayed upright and is fine physically but absolutely devastated.

It was a shit of a thing to happen.

shrub
13th December 2009, 10:19
the wind was very strong yesterday and the bridges are very exposed so maybe that was the cause.

No, wind had nothing to do with it.

Maddmaxs
13th December 2009, 10:52
it was my lovely ewan, and he died in the helicopter on the way to hospital. it was McMotoMannie (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=27306). my love my hero, my life
maddmaxs

Maddmaxs
13th December 2009, 10:52
no one else was hurt, its just my heart thats broken
m

onearmedbandit
13th December 2009, 11:00
So sorry to hear that. Can't begin to imagine what you are experiencing. Stay strong.

Foxzee
13th December 2009, 11:01
it was my lovely ewan, and he died in the helicopter on the way to hospital. it was mcmoto mannie. my love my hero, my life
maddmaxs

So so sorry to hear this......

Our love and thoughts are with you

Nasty
13th December 2009, 11:04
it was my lovely ewan, and he died in the helicopter on the way to hospital. it was mcmoto mannie. my love my hero, my life
maddmaxs

My heart breaks for you love ... I am so extremely sorry ... if there is anything I can do, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Ronin
13th December 2009, 11:11
maddmaxs

My heart goes out to you.

shrub
13th December 2009, 11:22
Only met him the day before, but I was looking forward to riding some ks with him.

RIP Ewan.

yungatart
13th December 2009, 11:35
I am so sorry to hear this news.
RIP Ewan.
My thoughts are with his family.

Hopeful Bastard
13th December 2009, 11:44
:shit: You havent even been in NZ for a year and this is what our roads throw to you. I am very sorry for your loss. Thoughts to you and his family over these times. What a time to lose someone. If you do need any help, There are more than enough people on here that will help you out. Adrian

T.W.R
13th December 2009, 12:46
maddmaxs

Condolences :grouphug:

It's about time they did some bloody thing with that damn bridge :bash:

beyond
13th December 2009, 13:41
Very sorry to hear of this tragedy. My thoughts are with you :(

chanceyy
13th December 2009, 13:58
my sincerest condolences to you & and your family Maddmaxs :hug:

and Shrub thoughts are with you, your son, and others who were on the ride

Pariah
13th December 2009, 14:03
According to a local, it the bridge even him out sometimes. I am glad to have met Ewan, and regret never having a chance to get to know him further. I don't know if dad told you but your SV is tucked up in the garage safe and sound Maddmaxs. We are here for you if you need us.

candor
13th December 2009, 14:10
Very sorry to hear of the ACCIDENT and your loss.
Pls put Katman in PD 'cos the hat fits.

Quasi
13th December 2009, 14:30
Dear Maddmaxs,
So sorry to hear you have lost your darling man. You and Ewan havent been here long and I had read of the excitement both of you had about your great journey to our far away land. For it to be blighted so soon is a terrible and unthinkable injustice. KB is an awesome community and everyone here will be thinking of you, sending hugs and prayers your way over this next difficult part of your journey. If there is anything anyone of us can do, just say the word. We will all be here standing beside you whenever you need us, you are not alone.

chanceyy
13th December 2009, 14:44
It would be great if ppl could have some empathy for the loss experienced by Maddmaxs, and compassion for Shrub & others who wittnessed this accident.

Getting on a soapbox will not change events that have happened. And quite frankly if you were not there or do not have any knowledge of the accident then do not post.

Off threads off topic will be sent to PD

again Maddmaxs condolences for your loss, and shrub thinking of you & your son

Genestho
13th December 2009, 14:58
no one else was hurt, its just my heart thats broken
m

Ah sweets, I'm so sorry for yours, and your families loss.
I Didn't know your man sorry, but I know how it feels to lose a soulmate.

Wish I could do something for you.

My condolences to you. :hug:
Here if you need to chat. X

Shrub, thoughts are with your son.

dangerous
13th December 2009, 16:39
maddmaxs
just remember what I said Seona... anything, anytime.

mcmotomannie... only the good die young, as these people are new to NZ I havent spent a lot of time with them but the time spent was truly fucking awesome, a quiet scott with a grin for life Ewan will be remembered for a bloody long time... ya still owe me that malt mate.

fireliv
13th December 2009, 17:01
Hey Maddmaxs,

I am so sorry to hear of Ewans loss. I met you both at the ladies track day and when you both joined us for lunch you were both full of happiness and hope. Would have loved to have gotten to ride with Ewan more, he seamed like a fantastic man.

My heart goes out to you.

RIP Ewan

KiwiPhoenix
13th December 2009, 17:20
So sorry for your loss chick! If you need anything at all, just give me a call!

RIP Ewan

Dr Death
13th December 2009, 17:24
Dearest Euan

I will never forget your cheery smile & your mateship. May you rest in peace.
I will always treasure our last ride together through North Canterbry.

"Gone But Never Forgotten, In our Hearts You Will Stay"

Paul

Paul in NZ
13th December 2009, 17:38
Shit - I thought I was a hard hearted bugger but this breaks my heart. Vicki and I are very sorry for your loss and if we can help in anyway please let us know, even if you want a place to hide out over xmas we are near the beach and our place is very quiet and private - theres a spare room and its yours if you want it.

dangerous
13th December 2009, 17:46
And Seona... you wont ever meet people as honest and genuine as Paul and Vicky, its a lovely spot they have there.

Duke girl
13th December 2009, 18:50
So very sorry for your loss. RIP Ewan.

laRIKin
13th December 2009, 19:15
I was there and one of the two riders was my son who was hit from behind. The other guy came off and my son stayed upright and is fine physically but absolutely devastated.

It was a shit of a thing to happen.

maddmaxs

According to a local, it the bridge even him out sometimes. I am glad to have met Ewan, and regret never having a chance to get to know him further. I don't know if dad told you but your SV is tucked up in the garage safe and sound Maddmaxs. We are here for you if you need us.

Maddmaxs I do feel for your lose.

And Sean, our door is all ways open for you.

rustic101
13th December 2009, 19:15
So sorry to hear of your loss.

Words, however kind, can't mend your heartache: but those who care and share your loss wish you comfort and peace of mind.

May you find strength in the love of family and in the warm embrace of friends.

Ken

:innocent:

Maddmaxs
13th December 2009, 19:20
Thanks guys. I want to say that David and Sean have been in my thoughts today, and Paul, who witnessed this all. No blame lies with anyone. It was an accident. no blame.......

Thanks guys
Seona

Toaster
13th December 2009, 19:25
Sorry to hear of the tragic death. Condolences to the family and those involved. Just terrible.

KiwiPhoenix
13th December 2009, 19:32
Thanks guys. I want to say that David and Sean have been in my thoughts today, and Paul, who witnessed this all. No blame lies with anyone. It was an accident. no blame.......

Thanks guys
Seona

Huggs to everyone involved in this accident and of course the families, my thoughts are with you all!!

helenoftroy
13th December 2009, 19:35
Seona I am so sad & sorry for you...Euan was a awesome guy & your loss is more than any of us can imagine,i know you two meant the world to each other

Was so good to meet you on the protest ride,then the track day,& you and Euan came and partied with us at the Magpie,will never forget him pulling up with the Guzzi pipes glowing red hot!

My heart goes out to you....if theres anything any of us can do....we are here

GOONR
13th December 2009, 19:37
Condolences to the family, my thoughts are with you and those involved in anyway. Sad day.

Retroqueen
13th December 2009, 20:15
Me tears flowing Sweet girl for your darling man!!

Anything.... anything..... at all we are.
To all involved :hug::hug:
R.I.P Ewan

Tink
13th December 2009, 20:17
My heart goes out to you... may he fly with wings aside his wheels! A little angel left us also yesterday from our school... its been a very sad day.

cruza
13th December 2009, 21:37
you and Euan came and partied with us at the Magpie,will never forget him pulling up with the Guzzi pipes glowing red hot!

Yes That sight will stay with me for a long time :) , and a great night we all had there too.
My thoughts are with you Seona and the other chch riders in the group.

mikeey01
13th December 2009, 23:52
God speed my friend.

My heart goes out to all affected, If there is anything I can do now or in the future by all means just ask.

helenoftroy
14th December 2009, 05:32
Dearest Euan

I will never forget your cheery smile & your mateship. May you rest in peace.
I will always treasure our last ride together through North Canterbry.

"Gone But Never Forgotten, In our Hearts You Will Stay"

Paul

Thanks guys
Seona
Paul our thoughts are with you to,as Seona says you we there....

So sad but understandable to see youve just put your bike up for sale

Terrible times:hug:

Stay in touch

Rashika
14th December 2009, 09:29

Thanks guys
Seona

hey babe... I still cant quite believe it, really wanted a chance to get to know you BOTH so much more.

As D says anything, anytime ok?
Wish we could do more, hang in there :grouphug:

R1madness
14th December 2009, 09:40
Maddmaxs, i am so sorry to hear about your loss. If i can help in any way just let me know.

Poor poor Maddmaxs my heart goes out to you.

JMemonic
14th December 2009, 14:14
Thoughts are with you, only meet you both briefly at the Magpie, you know all of us locals will be there if you need us.

crazyhorse
14th December 2009, 14:26
To all those who were present and those now left behind (esp Maddmaxs), my heart goes out to you all. :hug:

RIP Ewan

dangerous
14th December 2009, 18:35
Hey look guys, its time to post the time and place for Ewans next wee ride. For all those that know Ewan and/or his wife Seona that they are welcome to attend Ewans funeral this Friday at John Rhinds 19 London st at 3pm.
From there Ewan will be taken to the crematorian in Linwood, bikes are most welcome, infact the very brave Seona might be riding herself, and then to a pub for a drink.

Pariah
14th December 2009, 18:54
Hey look guys, its time to post the time and place for Ewans next wee ride. For all those that know Ewan and/or his wife Seona that they are welcome to attend Ewans funeral this Friday at John Rhinds 19 London st at 3pm.
From there Ewan will be taken to the crematorian in Linwood, bikes are most welcome, infact the very brave Seona might be riding herself, and then to a pub for a drink.

If the police release my bike in time I will be there on it. With any luck I should get the call to pick it up tomorrow.

Retroqueen
14th December 2009, 18:59
Ewan's Aberdeen riding buds are gutted as are we. Siona would like bikes and bikes so if you don't want to do the service then ride with him to the crem. On behalf of everyone of his rider buddies overseas who can't be here for him.
We at kiwibiker can make it on their behalf.....

sprintz
14th December 2009, 19:27
Heartfelt sympathy for a fellow rider and loved ones. Dont care how it happened or whether someone got it wrong on the day, just a bloody tragedy.

There but for the grace of God...I was just having a beer with Sean & Dave last Thursday.

My thoughts are with all of you.

choppedxs
14th December 2009, 20:21
Maddmaxs, I only meet you briefly (you led me to the protest ride from your house as I was lost and you looked like you knew where you were going). I was gutted to hear from Kathryn this morning of your loss and my thoughts are with you.

wingrider
14th December 2009, 21:33
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all at this time.

Eurodave
14th December 2009, 21:45
Ewan was the new guy & fellow Guzzi owner at work [Bunnings]...... BUGGER ..... I was looking forward to doing some serious K,s with that man
Rest in Peace Bro

cxp
14th December 2009, 21:48
Gutted

My thoughts are with you Seona

Everyone else at aberdeenbikers is in a similar state of shock

RIP Ewan

Dave

dangerous
15th December 2009, 04:00
Gutted

My thoughts are with you Seona

Everyone else at aberdeenbikers is in a similar state of shock

RIP Ewan

Dave

... ummm, hey its great to hear from Ewans home town, it must seem unrealistic and hard for you guys being so far away...

davereid
15th December 2009, 06:33
I'm so sorry to hear about this... my condolances to you. I never met anyone involved, but here on KB I sort of feel I know people by extension.

shrub
15th December 2009, 07:31
was less than 30 minutes before the accident. He was having a ball and had a big arsed grin on his face because he was on his dream bike having a ride out in the country on a sunny Saturday afternoon with his true love and some mates.

Here's to you Ewan. I will never ride that road again without stopping and saying gidday.

Pariah
15th December 2009, 10:14
The last time I heard him speak was laughing at my jokes that his Guzzi felt like the command seat on a battleship. It sounded like he was enjoying himself.

Hey wait for me!
15th December 2009, 14:28
In life theres but a few people that when you first meet them you feel like you've known them for years. In the 2 times i've had the privilidge to meet Ewan and Seona and ride with them, they have been just that. A lovely couple. The first time i rode behind them. I got to ride my bike but listen to the growl of Ewans! When he got off the Guzzi he was grinning from ear to ear! Last week after failing miserably with my attempt to video my ride, Seona and Ewan showed me their attempt at the same! I was so impressed with Ewans little camera set up that i've been working this week to show him my new set up just likes his..... :( Words just can't decribe your loss Seona and the loss of a truly great bloody bloke!! My families hearts go out to you and your family Seona.

Emlyn
15th December 2009, 15:00
My sincere condolences for your loss. :(

Flip
15th December 2009, 18:06
I was saddened to hear about Ewan's accident.

My heart goes out to Seona, I have only met you a couple of times on the WNRs and you seemed like such a great couple.

My love and prayers are with you during these difficult times.

Phill

abdn05R1
15th December 2009, 20:47
Seona , i was truly gutted when i found out about Ewan , he was a fantastic bloke and he will be missed by so many folks back here in Aberdeen ,

every time i was in your company Ewan always had a smile on his face and that will always be an abiding memory of him for me , it was a pleasure to have known him ,

i and some other guys from Aberdeen Bikers will definately raise a glass in his honour this wknd , all our hearts go out to you

you hang in there girl ,

take care of yourself

Steve (JT52 Aberdeen Bikers)

Sharry
15th December 2009, 20:57
Condolances to you Seona and every one that was on that ride.
It is such an unreal feeling that you must have. You have the support of the KB community, many who understand how you must be feeling.
Thinking of you all :hug:

Maddmaxs
15th December 2009, 21:57
What can I say? I feel like I am being hugged by all around me. Slight change of plan for Friday. Ewan will be leaving from the house here on Friday, so if anyone wants to ride behind him to Rhinds we will be leaving here at 2.30 sharp, so can you meet here between 2-2.15 please? 195 Clyde Rd, just along from Fendalton Library. I'll be on the SV... Thanks for all your support.
Seona

klingon
15th December 2009, 22:07
What can I say? I feel like I am being hugged by all around me.

There can never be enough hugs in the world for you. Here, have another one. :hug:

I hope you realise that KiwiBiker virtual hugs can be cashed in for real-life hugs wherever you see a KBer. For some of us, hugs are all we can offer to you. But we offer them willingly.

Paul in NZ
16th December 2009, 05:11
What can I say? I feel like I am being hugged by all around me. Slight change of plan for Friday. Ewan will be leaving from the house here on Friday, so if anyone wants to ride behind him to Rhinds we will be leaving here at 2.30 sharp, so can you meet here between 2-2.15 please? 195 Clyde Rd, just along from Fendalton Library. I'll be on the SV... Thanks for all your support.
Seona

All the best for friday Seona - sorry we can't be there.

Remember to take us up on that offer after friday please, we would love to have you here over christmas OK?

LittleAngel
16th December 2009, 07:02
I'm so sorry for your loss Maddmaxx.. I can't imagine what you are going through.... I met you both very briefly at the Magpie.... Such a tragedy and loss of a fellow rider....

Condolences to you and your family... :hugs:

RIP Ewan..

naughtygirl
16th December 2009, 14:12
RIP Ewan.

Stay strong Seona.

Dave-
16th December 2009, 21:49
Seona, Sorry for your loss.

and strength to dave and sean.

will be attending on friday.

cxp
16th December 2009, 23:42
This is a link to an article in the local newspaper in Aberdeen

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1528183/?UserKey=

cc rider
17th December 2009, 00:14
Dear Seona, you have a big hug from me girl (be it from over the ditch).
To Sean, David & Paul also big hugs to you guys. Thinking of you all.
I'll ask R1 to pass them on :hug:

Take care
cc

Malphesius
17th December 2009, 02:17
The most sincere and deepest condolences to you Seona, to both families, and to all who knew him.

I only met yourself and Ewan on a couple of occassions back in Aberdeen, Xmas doo's, Nutty's wedding etc, usually a tad inebriated;-)

It was plain to see how devoted you were to each other and Ewan's vitality and zest for life was infectious and humbling. I never saw him without a smile on his face. It was an honour to have met both of you.

Please stay strong and have the peace in your heart to know that you are deep in our thoughts and our prayers.

Malph.
(Aberdeenbikers)

shrub
17th December 2009, 08:46
The most sincere and deepest condolences to you Seona, to both families, and to all who knew him.

I only met yourself and Ewan on a couple of occassions back in Aberdeen, Xmas doo's, Nutty's wedding etc, usually a tad inebriated;-)

It was plain to see how devoted you were to each other and Ewan's vitality and zest for life was infectious and humbling. I never saw him without a smile on his face. It was an honour to have met both of you.

Please stay strong and have the peace in your heart to know that you are deep in our thoughts and our prayers.

Malph.
(Aberdeenbikers)

Sean and I spent last night with Seona, Alli and Mike and she's amazingly positive and strong and will be riding her SV1000 on Friday. We'll be riding for you Aberdeen bikers, so you'll be represented in the brotherhood that is motorcycling.

If you're in Christchurch, please come along to 195 Clyde Rd at 2.15 Friday even if you don't know Ewan and Seona. She wants as many bikes as possible to represent the people who knew them in Scotland but can't be there and because over time the odds are good you'll get to know her.

Let's ride together for Ewan, he was a good bastard.

KiwiPhoenix
17th December 2009, 09:06
I'll be honoured to ride with Ewan and everyone that comes along!

Dr Death
17th December 2009, 09:16
Count me in guys. I'll be riding for Ewan too.

Paul.

choppedxs
17th December 2009, 09:51
I will sneak out of work to be on the ride. Maybe this should go on the calendar so as many bikers as possible know about it. Would be a great send off to have a real procession of bikes. I know that's how I would like to be sent off.

onearmedbandit
17th December 2009, 11:06
I would be there too but I'm in a new role at work and there is no one to cover for me.

Pariah
17th December 2009, 12:11
My bike won't be ready so I'll save it to finish the ride with. I'll be there on a Thunderbird instead.

shrub
17th December 2009, 12:54
It would be awesome to see a huge turnout - I reckon that's what I'd like.

cruza
17th December 2009, 13:19
It would be awesome to see a huge turnout - I reckon that's what I'd like.

Put it up as a ride on meetings and events, and bump it all nite.

shrub
17th December 2009, 13:31

Thanks Cruza

GOONR
17th December 2009, 14:22

Bump did you say!

cruza
17th December 2009, 15:30
Bump did you say!

......my second love after bikes:whistle:

ukusa
17th December 2009, 19:01
my sincere condolences to the family.

I don't think I met Ewan (there can be many faces on rides), but sad events like this are where the motorcycle fraternity can support each other. I will try to make the procession if I can get away from work.
RIP Ewan.

LittleAngel
17th December 2009, 19:13
I'm going to do my best to get there tomorrow... Least I can do!

KiwiPhoenix
17th December 2009, 19:36
Will be there also! It will be an honour to ride with Ewan and you all for this ride!

Mr Triple
17th December 2009, 22:33
Sean and I spent last night with Seona, Alli and Mike and she's amazingly positive and strong and will be riding her SV1000 on Friday. We'll be riding for you Aberdeen bikers, so you'll be represented in the brotherhood that is motorcycling.

If you're in Christchurch, please come along to 195 Clyde Rd at 2.15 Friday even if you don't know Ewan and Seona. She wants as many bikes as possible to represent the people who knew them in Scotland but can't be there and because over time the odds are good you'll get to know her.

Let's ride together for Ewan, he was a good bastard.

Condolences to the family.
I am keen as to be part of this, as I know a good turn out is also what I would like, as you have said Shrub. You must be a brave lady, Seona, to ride... good on you.
Brent

leopardskin
18th December 2009, 08:36
the boss has given ok so i will be able to ride today - my wife is from Dunfermline and i'd been telling her about these lovely Scots on the wednesday night ride - hopefully when she get her confidence up she'll be able to get on her Scorpio and meet up with Seona on another wed night ride sometime.
Darrell

KiwiPhoenix
18th December 2009, 10:53
It would be great if your mrs could come along to meet everyone! Looking forward to meeting her!

MyGSXF
18th December 2009, 16:44
My heartfelt condolences to you & your family Seona.. :(

You are surrounded by a lovely group of people in ChCh... lean on them hun!! :grouphug:

dangerous
18th December 2009, 17:44
... that was farking beautafull, thanks everyone as all made it bearable. HelenOfTroy, your wee speach on behalf of Kiwibiker was lovely, and here I was thinking you were a hard old tart... Seona and Alli, the poem in their local caltic toung/translated was something else again... as the curtins closed, I could visalise the grin on Ewans face... single malts all round I say.

cruza
18th December 2009, 18:36
Bit blown away when I arrived at clyde road. Bikes lined up on both sides of the road. you did ewan proud leading the escort seona:hug: .

shrub
18th December 2009, 19:59
it was a fantastic celebration of Ewen.

miSTa
18th December 2009, 20:16
Pleased to have met you today Seona, and after todays service we all have missed out on getting to know a real character. What might have been, a very sad loss.

Great to so many bikes out. Nice tribute too HoT.

Emlyn
18th December 2009, 21:30
Awesome tributo HoT, great to have you speak on our behalf, and a wonderful turnout. What a fitting tribute to celebrate a life lost too soon. It was a pleasure to be part of today. Thanks and best wishes to all :) xoxo

Pariah
18th December 2009, 21:30
I'd like to thank everybody who showed up and the people who spoke kind words to Seona, Paul, my father and I. It was humbling to see only bikes in my mirrors. Thankyou all.

Flip
18th December 2009, 22:05
That was a very nice funeral, It was certanly a celebration of Ewans life.

Hey wait for me!
18th December 2009, 23:12
It was great to see such a great turn out of people to honour the life of Ewan and to support his lovely wife Seona and their family! Personally i got myself all prepared and spent a couple of hours spit polishing my faithful steed to leave home and make it to the first set of lights to have my trusty ride breakdown..... Well many thoughts went through my mind and some past my lips but mostly the likes of "You've got to be @#*@*# joking!" but after a call to Emoto who resqued me very quickly, i managed to sprint into the chapel fully leathered but missing my bike... ahem... anyway what a wonderful service and a great rememberance of a life that was lived to the full! No wonder he smiled all the time! Once the service finished and bikers doned leathers, i apologised to Seona that i couldn't ride with them to the next destonation as my bike had @#*#@ itself, to then have Seona say "Get on the back!" well Seona didn't have to tell me twice and if that doesn't just show what sort of person Seona or Ewan and the great bunch of other people in this community are like, then i don't know what would.

nik_and_annie
19th December 2009, 06:06
Hey all,

As I said on the ABZ-bikers site, I don't have a bike, but we had great friends in Seona and Ewan - and still do!!

We thought of you here in ABZ at 14:30 our time, reading all your messages today it seems like it was a fantastic send of for a much loved friend to all of us.

Reading the messages, had us welling up here, particularly Hey_wait_for_me's story of how Seona gave him a lift from the chapel - the Christie's through and through!

Wish we could have been there, but in a way feel that we were. Any chance someone can post a couple of photos of the biker procession... Would love to see you all.

Our thoughts continue to be with you,

Nik, Annie & Finlay.

Rashika
19th December 2009, 06:38
ahhhh I wondered who had jumped on the back of S's bike! ;)

Yep it was a wonderful way to say goodbye to Ewan. Really enjoyed the ride and the service, I think it was nicely in keeping with the way Ewan lived, great job to all involved. :2thumbsup
and i *THINK* I even managed to understand a lot of the poem without the translation Seona! :msn-wink:

Rashika
19th December 2009, 06:47
Wish we could have been there, but in a way feel that we were. Any chance someone can post a couple of photos of the biker procession... Would love to see you all.

I think there will be a few pics from someone, but here is a couple from the gathering before we left.

shrub
19th December 2009, 06:50
I hardly knew the man, but he has had a profound affect on me and listening to Mike read his eulogy I realised just how much he and I had in common. If things had been different I could imagine he would have become a very good mate.

Trumpess
19th December 2009, 07:25
Well its now the day after and Im still reeling from the solidarity and comradory of our goodbyes yesterday to Ewan and our support for Seona. It can be hard to express feelings and emotions, but was free flowing right throughout the afternoon. It was an awesome send off for Ewan, one I wont forget in a hurry. The procession, the beautiful service filled with laughter and tears and the unity of us all being there for a fallen one. It makes one think about living for the now and soaking in every single minute of it.

miSTa
19th December 2009, 07:55
A few snapshots of the ride from the video I took....

cruza
19th December 2009, 14:34
I think there will be a few pics from someone, but here is a couple from the gathering before we left.

alot more bikes arrived after those pics too ,Rashika. Awesome

dangerous
19th December 2009, 15:27
Any chance someone can post a couple of photos of the biker procession... Would love to see you all.

Our thoughts continue to be with you,

Nik, Annie & Finlay.
Hi there N&A, thanks for the post, cant be easy so far away and being unable to see with your own eyes the reality of it all.

There were pleanty of photos taken, I hope they will make it to the net, and a vidio was also taken by the funeral directors, it will be good to get a copy and I believe it was done for those back in Scotland so as to help with closing.
Maybe when it arives ya all get togeather and have a good old shin dig with the vidio and also celerbrate the life that was Ewan.

shrub
19th December 2009, 15:28
alot more bikes arrived after those pics too ,Rashika. Awesome

It looked amazing in my mirrors - you were riding beside me - nice machine.

Retroqueen
19th December 2009, 17:43

Hey Nik and Annie
Mista and Ghost Bullet both had cameras on board for the ride as well so there is video about. They may post something here but otherwise there are Cd's heading to Seona......

miSTa
19th December 2009, 20:19
Hey Nik and Annie
Mista and Ghost Bullet both had cameras on board for the ride as well so there is video about. They may post something here but otherwise there are Cd's heading to Seona......
Seona already has a copy of the video I recorded.

Here's a short video I've put together of the ride (snapshots taken every 20 seconds):
<embed src="http://p.webshots.com/flash/smallplayer.swf?videoFile=http://videoserve.webshots.com/video/30237/3081650890101041032UCjLkv_v_0.flv&audio=on&displayImagePreview=http://videothumb38.webshots.com/thumb/30237/3081650890101041032UCjLkvstill_002_0.jpg&videoPageUrl=http://rides.webshots.com/video/3081650890101041032UCjLkv&autoPlay=false&shareLink=http://cards.webshots.com/ecard/personalize?photoId=3081650890101041032%26source=v" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" quality="best" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed><br/><br/><a href="http://rides.webshots.com/video/3081650890101041032UCjLkv">Ewans Funeral Ride.wmv</a>

nik_and_annie
20th December 2009, 01:40
Hey thanks everyone for the pictures and the video you posted. I know there is a plan for a memorial service/celebration in January here in Aberdeen, but great to see that the KBs organised a great turn out and perfect send-off for Ewan. Hope to meet some of you when we come over to visit.

Thanks again everyone, and love and hugs Seona.

Nik, Annie & Finlay.

Penfold
21st December 2009, 04:56
Very sad news.

RIP Ewan.

Looks like Ewan had a good send off.

Condolences from Hilly & Penfold from Kemnay, Aberdeen, UK.

KiwiPhoenix
21st December 2009, 09:06
I have to say I will never forget the sight of looking in my mirror and seeing all the bikes! A very fitting tribute to Ewan.

Seona, it was amazing to see you ride with Ewan, you are a very strong woman! I was so proud of you!

Maddmaxs
25th December 2009, 18:46
Firstly please let me apologise for not answering individual posts until now. I am not exaggerating when I say that I have nearly 4 pages of emails to respond to, c. 180+, so on this occasion as well, I hope you understand why this is a bit of a 'blanket' post.

I promise that I will try to catch up properly with you all individually in due course.

I need to let you know that although my entire world has been turned upside down and my heart torn apart, I want to reassure you that I am feeling calm and actually quite 'complete'.

There are several reasons for this, not least because all the support I have had, some of it from total strangers (I have had emails and letters from people I have never met, from all corners of New Zealand and the world). Some are from other women who have lost their partners in bike accidents, some from people who have heard about it in the press. I am deeply touched by all the attention I have received, but this isnt about me, its about Ewan.

For those of you on the other side of the world who couldn't be at our 'celebration' last Friday, please be assured this was a happy event. Yes there were tears, but there was much laughter and reminiscing, and great confusion when verses were read in the doric, one of which Alli 'translated' into kiwi for all uninitiated. Several folk stood up and said a few words. David captured it all by saying 'We are not here because Ewan died, but because he lived. I want to live like Ewan did... to the full, making the most of life'.

Ewan finally had an interview at Ecan (where he had been trying to get into since ever before we left Scotland). He was due a second interview last Wednesday. I have to say that he was the most positive and upbeat I'd seen him since we arrived here, and was looking to finish his part time job, which involved Saturday work, and start his new role in January if successful. We had also been looking at houses to buy as we are currently in a rental (which is nice, and we have fantastic neighbours) but it's not ours.

I've been in my permanent role since 23 November, and my colleagues are firmly my friends - they've been 100% there for me.

I don't want to single folk out, but I'd like to thank two groups of people in particular, that's Alli and Mike's bosses. Alli should have started her new management role on Monday 14th, and her boss gave her leave to stay down here and support me as long as necessary. Similarly for Mike: no questions, just 'go and be there and take as long as you need'. For that I will always be very grateful.

Now, as most of you know, neither Ewan nor I are particularly religious, Ewan being an aetheist, but I need to let you know that the other reason for my being so calm, is that I actually feel that he is back here, with me. I've had 4 reasons to believe this already (but I wont go into it here). Just believe that I believe - it helps me get along.

Three or four words keep coming up: no regrets, happy, content. That's what we were like. We never had a fight about or to each other in 10 years (yes we had grumbles, but mostly about outside influences that we couldn't influence). No regrets about how we lived our lives, and we were happy with our lot and very very content with each other. If you have no regrets or 'what ifs' you can actually sleep at night very well. I was very lucky to have the time we had together, nearly 10 years. It was a privilege to be Ewans soulmate, wife and best friend. I look on it as a gift.

I asked that folk didnt come rushing over here for the celebration. I also asked that folk continue to save and plan for coming out here for a holiday so that 'we' can show them round and show them why we are so passionate about the place.

We videod the celebration service for sending back to Ewans folks and anyone else in Aberdeen wishing to see it. It was really beautiful. The director said he had never seen as many bikes at a funeral. Nae bad fur the loon seein as we've only been here since August. They ran out of seats (over 110) and ran out of silver ferns to lay on the casket.

We are planning on a celebration shindig in Aberdeen, probably in late Jan or early February, kind of like the leaving do we shared with Alli and Roger. Kath and Barbara will be organising (along with his folks, who are having their own religious service in Inverness in early January).

Thank you for being there for us and for having us in your hearts just now...

Seona and Ewan

Paul in NZ
25th December 2009, 19:28
Never met you Seona but Vicki and I thought of you a bit today...

Hey - when you want to come away for a break the offer of a rooms still there eh? No stress, just whenever...

dangerous
25th December 2009, 19:44
Firstly please let... Seona and Ewan
:)..............................................

countryguy
25th December 2009, 19:56
Really sorry to hear that. It is the silly season, be careful out there.

SDU
25th December 2009, 20:40
Thoughts have been with you today:grouphug:

Shrub & Pariah have nothing but high praise for you Maddmaxs, I look forward to getting to know you over time.
please let us know if you need anything.