PDA

View Full Version : 250R replacement radiator?

brendonjw
16th December 2009, 17:24
:weep: stones gone through mine and we are still seeing if it can be repaired, Kawasaki want a insane figure for a new one so im wondering how important it is to get one thats the exact size of the OEM one? Apart from mounting points will it make much difference if i found another models one that is a lil bigger or smaller than the OEM one? (P.S if anyone knows the OEM dimensions that would be great, my bikes sitting in the shop :oi-grr: )(or if anyone knows of a 250R thats being parted out :hug: )

FROSTY
18th December 2009, 09:04
Your rad is 355x160. The top hose is at the right rear corner and the bottom hose is in the left rear corner -On the back face. It has four mounting points 2 on top two on bottom all four are 50mm from the edge-ie 300mmm and 50mm from the ends.
The stat is positioned in the left tank on the back halfway down.
Given the way the top and bottom mounts work I wouldnt be too worried if the doner rad has the mounts inwards or outwards a bit. I'd even look at a rad with only one centre bottom mount.

Id grab a rad from a GPX250 or ZZR250 they are the most likely to drop straight in

Me id be happy if the doner rad had a slightly higher capacity. BUT it does depend if you have a factory warranty --if you do then changing rads will most likely invalidate the warranty

brendonjw
21st December 2009, 09:19
Thanks for the Tip Frosty but sadly they arent a straight interchange, and it is still under warenty until Aug next year so i managed to find a 2nd hand one from a 250R in the states :bash:

CookMySock
21st December 2009, 09:23
Someone should be able to braze that up.

Steve

FROSTY
21st December 2009, 10:43
Thanks for the Tip Frosty but sadly they arent a straight interchange, and it is still under warenty until Aug next year so i managed to find a 2nd hand one from a 250R in the states :bash:
NOO dude--call bikebusters 07 8247705 tellhim frosty from millars sent ya

brendonjw
21st December 2009, 11:02
NOO dude--call bikebusters 07 8247705 tellhim frosty from millars sent ya

DOH id just bought it too (is US $150 Shipped) so not too bad compared to what they want for a new one.

DB - I did get someone to try repair it but it is so fine that the welds are not holding when presure tested, i also looked at getting it recored but no one reckons/wants can do it since its a aluminum one :bash:

imdying
21st December 2009, 13:25
Give some Durafix rods a go, you can even weld up holes the size of a fifty cent piece in aluminum cans with them. It's easy enough that you could do it yourself. Really really easy to work with.

Wheeliemonsta
31st December 2009, 08:48
:weep: stones gone through mine and we are still seeing if it can be repaired, Kawasaki want a insane figure for a new one so im wondering how important it is to get one thats the exact size of the OEM one? Apart from mounting points will it make much difference if i found another models one that is a lil bigger or smaller than the OEM one? (P.S if anyone knows the OEM dimensions that would be great, my bikes sitting in the shop :oi-grr: )(or if anyone knows of a 250R thats being parted out :hug: )

Gidday,
A lot of modern alloy cored radiators cannot be repaired with heat of any type, doing so leaves you with an exspensive uselss mess...

A two pack epoxy resin is the usual repair media these day's...

I can personally recommend Brad at Auto Radiators, Nixon St in Auckland - Ph 376 6212 or 4; he's repaired quite a few KX radiators over the years for me & they've been 100% reliable...

He also scratch builds one off radiators for those "Special Projects"

Well worth a call if nothing else as repair is a shit load cheaper than replacement

(N.B Timaru Motorcycle Wreckers have just wrecked an EX250-J)

Cheers

:rockon: