PDA

View Full Version : Harley recalls 111,600 motorcycles

Bob
18th December 2009, 01:18
Harley-Davidson has informed the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of a potential defect, affecting some 111,600 motorcycles. Harley is recalling the 2009-10 Touring, CVO and Trike motorcycles due to a hazard in which the fuel tanks may leak after a severe crash and could cause “fire, injuries, or fatalities.”

A replacement will be made fitted free of charge.

Models affected:

Model Year
H-D / FLHP 2009-2010
H-D / FLHPE 2009-2010
H-D / FLHR 2009-2010
H-D / FLHR Shrine 2009-2010
H-D / FLHRC 2009-2010
H-D / FLHT 2009-2010
H-D / FLHTC 2009-2010
H-D / FLHTCU 2009-2010
H-D / FLHTCU Shrine 2009-2010
H-D / FLHTCU W/SC 2009-2010
H-D / FLHTCU4-CVO 2009
H-D / FLHTCUSE4 2009
H-D / FLHTCUSE5 2010
H-D / FLHTCUTG 2009-2010
H-D / FLHTK 2010
H-D / FLHTP 2009-2010
H-D / FLHX 2009-2010
H-D / FLHXXX 2010
H-D / FLTR 2009
H-D / FLTR3-CVO 2009
H-D / FLTRSE3 2009

CookMySock
18th December 2009, 06:11
Eh? Don't ALL fuel tanks leak after a severe crash? Everything leaks after a severe crash.. thats why they call it "severe."

Steve

crazyhorse
18th December 2009, 06:43
Maybe Harleys and Holdens have something in common - they both get recalled :banana::banana::banana:

James Deuce
18th December 2009, 07:05
Why do you guys get so bent out of shape over recalls? It speaks volumes for the integrity of a manufacturer who actively seeks to rectify something they view as a problem and actually go to the bother of recalling bikes for a fix.

Read Hitcher's saga about the Shiver's speed sensor and Instrument pod to see how things are done by other manufacturer and distributor networks - say and do nothing until someone complains a LOT. I'd rather own a bike from a manufacturer who cares about my safety (no matter how unlikely the scenario).

Bob
18th December 2009, 07:21
Eh? Don't ALL fuel tanks leak after a severe crash? Everything leaks after a severe crash.. thats why they call it "severe."

Steve

Just did a spot more research and came up with the following:

“The front fuel tank mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision. This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death to the rider,” the report reads.

The safety recall is expected to begin soon, and, just as expected, the manufacturer will take care of this problem, free of charge. The Harley-Davidson dealers across the US will install left and right front braces to reinforce the front mount and therefore reduce distortion in an event of a crash.

“Dealers will install a left and right brace, which are intended to reduce front mount distortion during certain crash conditions. This repair will be performed free of charge. The safety recall is expected to begin on or about December 14, 2009.”

So there you have it. Problem found, notice out quickly and remedial action in place.

Badjelly
18th December 2009, 09:09
Just did a spot more research and came up with the following:

...Totally illegible lime-coloured text...

So there you have it. Problem found, notice out quickly and remedial action in place.

I think your point will be lost on those in the Light Universe.

bogan
18th December 2009, 09:14
Why do you guys get so bent out of shape over recalls? It speaks volumes for the integrity of a manufacturer who actively seeks to rectify something they view as a problem and actually go to the bother of recalling bikes for a fix.

Read Hitcher's saga about the Shiver's speed sensor and Instrument pod to see how things are done by other manufacturer and distributor networks - say and do nothing until someone complains a LOT. I'd rather own a bike from a manufacturer who cares about my safety (no matter how unlikely the scenario).

I'd rather have something that was designed properly first time, thats why I ride hondas!! But I see your point, if somethings wrong its definitely better to do a recall than let it slide, full credit to harley :2thumbsup

Bob
18th December 2009, 10:39
I'd rather have something that was designed properly first time, thats why I ride hondas!!

Oddly enough, a few years back, I had to do some research on recalls for a news article. That year (2004 or 2005 I think it was), guess who had the largest number of recalls? Yup, Honda. The lowest number that year was Harley-Davidson.

The key is, get out there, get it known and get it sorted!

Edbear
18th December 2009, 10:43

Steve

Well, without stating the obvious... :cool:

Oddly enough, a few years back, I had to do some research on recalls for a news article. That year (2004 or 2005 I think it was), guess who had the largest number of recalls? Yup, Honda. The lowest number that year was Harley-Davidson.

The key is, get out there, get it known and get it sorted!

I'm feeling left out here! Is there something wrong with Suzuki's that they don't suffer recalls...? ;)

NordieBoy
18th December 2009, 16:48
I'm feeling left out here! Is there something wrong with Suzuki's that they don't suffer recalls...? ;)

Just this huge mound of carpet that looks like stuff has been swept under it?

steve_t
18th December 2009, 17:13
Fight Club quote: "A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one." :laugh:

cs363
18th December 2009, 17:37

Couldn't agree more.

Though I tried....

AllanB
18th December 2009, 17:43
James is right. :cool:

It's not really a fault - just Harley covering their arse in the USA - if a accident happens over there and a lawyer points fingers at a perceived fault they could be up for Millions in damages.

As a point of interest I too am prone to spilling fluids in a severe impact. No recall will be issued however as I am way out of any implied warranty, plus I have been abused a few times! :2thumbsup

slofox
18th December 2009, 18:34
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire...

I'd never have guessed...:whistle:

Reminds me of some of the Japanese workshop manuals I used to use many years ago - some of the translations were "interesting" to say the least...

e.g. "Lack of oil to the engine can apparently cause damage..." Like, we don't believe it ourselves but that's what they tell us...

Overall, if there's a fault, recall and fix, I reckon. Sales depend on reputation and rep can be ruined by unresolved faults. I've had the odd bike I'd never buy again due to crap design faults.

Motu
18th December 2009, 19:06
Most recalls are like this,millions spent on the remote possibility of failure.Sometimes there has never been a fault,just a perceived possibility of it happening if X meets Y.Brands like Honda and Toyota have recalls swept under the carpet....some like Mitsubishi and Harley Davidson get a media beat up instead.

Currently we are doing a recall on Triton U bolts.We fit new ones and retorque to a revised setting.There has never be a failure in NZ.....but possibly in some 3rd world country one was carrying 147 bales of hay with 14 passenger and a U bolt broke.

And so they do a recall on that remote possibility....good on them eh.

AllanB
18th December 2009, 19:45
We run Mercedes Vans at work - there must have been 8 recalls on them - the latest one last week is to "prevent the possibility of the rear window falling out".

We have 6 of them - 4 have around 150,000 kms on them. Their rear windows are still there.

Bob
19th December 2009, 01:27
I'd never have guessed...:whistle:

Reminds me of some of the Japanese workshop manuals I used to use many years ago - some of the translations were "interesting" to say the least...

e.g. "Lack of oil to the engine can apparently cause damage..." Like, we don't believe it ourselves but that's what they tell us...

Overall, if there's a fault, recall and fix, I reckon. Sales depend on reputation and rep can be ruined by unresolved faults. I've had the odd bike I'd never buy again due to crap design faults.

Ahem - that is a direct quote from the New York Legal Authorities - like anything else wrapped up in 'legalese', no chance of it making any sense to the rest of us!

davebullet
19th December 2009, 06:41
Either Harley have recalled them to protect the lives of their customers, their brand reputation, or their pockets from a high profile multi-million dollar American lawsuit.

crazyhorse
19th December 2009, 06:43

Well, a few years ago now, they recalled Suzuki TL1000's - so it does happen to all manufacturers, Even Lexus had a recall not too long ago.... :whistle:

James Deuce
19th December 2009, 07:03
Well, a few years ago now, they recalled Suzuki TL1000's - so it does happen to all manufacturers, Even Lexus had a recall not too long ago.... :whistle:
I just thought I'd get in before people started bagging the Motor Company. Harley-Davidson always publicise their recalls. It goes to Distributors and Dealers, trade, general press release and to motorcycle publications for inclusion in their news section.

The TL1000 recall to fit a steering damper was almost entirely manufactured by a couple of muppet UK test riders with a lack of respect for their right wrist in certain situations. If the rear shock's damping fades to nothing, do you then deliberately go pitching through a few corners at high speed and aggressive attitude? The ensuing big arse tank slapper was due to the rear rotary damper overheating thanks to a lack of oil volume. Throwing a steering damper on the TL masked the real cause of the issue which would have been solved by a conventional shock or a big remote reservoir for the rotary damper.

This recall has been generated by Harley-Davidson's legal department as an arse covering exercise and doesn't appear to be based on the Fight Club equation.

Other manufacturers will put tiny adverts in the classified ads section of a trade magazine to fulfill their communication requirement and to a certain extent rely on dealers to act ethically.

crazyhorse
19th December 2009, 09:44
.........The TL1000 recall to fit a steering damper was almost entirely manufactured by a couple of muppet UK test riders with a lack of respect for their right wrist in certain situations. .........

Well, they actually recalled the tl's for various issues - one was a problem with their frames cracking, another one was a problem with the petrol tanks,

I remember a anit-TL site set up and Suzuki realised they needed to correct issues from people all around the world. My ex had major problems with his, and he was in a position to do alot of harm to local Suzuki sales, so they stepped up to the mark and for $1,000 difference offered him a new tl1000s - or $2,000 a new tl1000R. :done:

James Deuce
19th December 2009, 09:49
Yes, I know. But the most famous one was the least needed from a "safety" perspective.

vifferman
19th December 2009, 09:54
James is right. :cool:

It's not really a fault - just Harley covering their arse in the USA - if a accident happens over there and a lawyer points fingers at a perceived fault they could be up for Millions in damages.
Indeed.

Take f'rinstance the VFR 800; that was subject to recalls for wiring, brakes, and some other stuff, but outside of Mrka, dealers don't seem to know about or give a rodent's rectum about these faults.

But I agree that it's a good policy on H-D's part to acknowledge a fault like this and 'step up to the plate'. They can't really afford not to, what with sales being down heaps since there's fewer accountants and investment <s>wankers</s> bankers buying themselves a biker lifestyle.

pete376403
20th December 2009, 00:39
Kawasaki NZ (Lyntech) have been pretty good with the recalls on my 08 KLR 650 - muffler bolts loose potentially allowing muffler to fall off and jam rear wheel, indicator mountings falling apart, chafed wiring insulation that could potentially cause short circuits, niggly wee things like that. Pity they wouldn't do a recall over the piston ring fault that causes oil consumption in the 1.5 - 2 litres per 1000km range...

roadracingoldfart
10th January 2010, 09:14
Another aspect to consider is the type of "recall" being actioned.
There is a safety recall which must be notified to the owners , media and motor watchdog groups.
Then you have the "field service action type.
These are not crucial campaigns that are inspected and re-worked at service time. If a car / bike is within Warranty then generally the dealer will do this often without wanting to or telling you about such work.
I personally let all my customers know we have done some type of work to thier car as they then dont have to come ask if it affects thier car when they do hear about it from another source. Honesty still works best to cover arse.
A few years ago Mazda did a complete front coil spring refit due to the coating of the originals being affected by salt spread on roads during winter. We dont have that issue here really but it was done as a total recall with full notification.

Generally the re-works are done to make legal parties happy but they are still valid .
I was replacing warranty recall bits on Honda bikes in the 80s , 90s and there were some really big safety recalls that were un mentioned at the time . Im glad the industry has changed in that regard.

Paul.

p.dath
10th January 2010, 09:45

They don't last long enough to get recalled. :bleh: