PDA

View Full Version : Slipper clutches Who where when.??

FROSTY
1st May 2005, 13:36
Has anyone seen advertisements for aftermarket slipper clutch units?
I'm interested to talk to a manufacturer or retailer of these units.

andy1
1st May 2005, 13:56
STM slipper clutch very good,
got one but not yet fitted.
try and get one from overseas as its much cheaper.

Drew
1st May 2005, 17:02
Can't help but wonder what the clutch is for. I had an identical XJ to the one you have in your avatar, and cant say it ever got that out of shape when the throttle got shut down.
I may have the wrong idea on what a slipper clutch is used for but that is why they put them in big V twins.
If the old Yamy is getting a wee bit off line when you shut it down, see if the swing arm bearings need a tweek. They are of the tapered roller variety, and real easy to do.
I may of course just be making a dick of myself, and totally wrong. To this I can only say, my dad told me, "stick with what you're good at son."

sAsLEX
1st May 2005, 17:10
possibly for his race bike FIZZERMAN!?

sedge
1st May 2005, 17:43
Has anyone seen advertisements for aftermarket slipper clutch units?
I'm interested to talk to a manufacturer or retailer of these units.

Ya shoulda kept the ZXR750 !

FYI: ZX7 and ZXR750 owners... Fairly cheap slipper clutch mod...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/index.html

Look under tech tips, then slipper clutch mods.

Cheers,

Sedge.

Drew
2nd May 2005, 17:00
possibly for his race bike FIZZERMAN!?

Yes, that does make more sense. I did say that I might be making a dick of myself, for saying anything, and turns out I was. :killingme
:whocares:

crazylittleshit
2nd May 2005, 17:03
Slipper Clutches are great I Never Knew what I was missing Until I got One.

FROSTY
4th May 2005, 00:35
hmm--I wonder --somewhere in wellytown is a zxr750 engine --with a clutch in it-I wonder if I could/would fit.

sedge
4th May 2005, 05:55
hmm--I wonder --somewhere in wellytown is a zxr750 engine --with a clutch in it-I wonder if I could/would fit.

You stay away from my bike you !...

Actually, thinking about it, my bike's up on blocks for a few months while I take it to pieces and clean it up... I can lend you some bits if you want to try it out... How hard is it to pull the clutch ? I've got the factory manual, but most of my tools are of the big and hitty variety.

Sedge.

sedge
13th May 2005, 10:04
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Frames-bodywork/auction-27281108.htm

Squeeze that sucker in to the 400... cheaper than buying a slipper clutch... Pretty sure you'd soon be winning in F3 too :)

Sedge.

Artifice
13th May 2005, 10:19
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Frames-bodywork/auction-27281108.htm

Squeeze that sucker in to the 400... cheaper than buying a slipper clutch... Pretty sure you'd soon be winning in F3 too :)

Sedge.
you trying to sell tha motor to everybody sedge? :yes:

sedge
13th May 2005, 12:47
Nah, it's not me, but I'd have bought it if I hadn't blown all my bike cash on a set of forks for my beasty, you can never have enough engines :)

Hmmm, F3, I wonder if you could sleeve it down to 440cc, heh heh... Is there anything in the racing rule book about forced induction ? Coz it'd be strong enough after that ;) Sleeve it down and then boost it up.

Sedge.

FROSTY
13th May 2005, 20:21
You stay away from my bike you !...

Actually, thinking about it, my bike's up on blocks for a few months while I take it to pieces and clean it up... I can lend you some bits if you want to try it out... How hard is it to pull the clutch ? I've got the factory manual, but most of my tools are of the big and hitty variety.

Sedge.
Best ya just send me ya whole motor?

Blakamin
13th May 2005, 20:30
hey sedge.... how is the beasty? ... bout time you come around for a beer!!!!! :drinknsin

sedge
14th May 2005, 15:30
hey sedge.... how is the beasty? ... bout time you come around for a beer!!!!! :drinknsin

Well, the biggest change apart from f**king up the paint job :( is that the reg is on hold for six months or so while I figure out how to pull the thing to bits without it falling on me.

I've got a nice new set of forks waiting to go on, everything else looks shitty but is fine mechanically. I keep faffing between 1. Do I strip it down, clean it up and have it too nice to drop ? or 2. Do I do a half arse job and have a half arse bike that I always know is half arsed ?

Final result is that I just stand around drinking beer looking at it thinking about how much work it needs, how I don't think my rafters can take the weight of the bike (they really can't, it's a crappy old garage) and if I can balance it on the sump while I take out the swingarm and forks (who the hell knows ???).

Ah... I'll get there one day, may need to buy one of those engine extractor stands so I can chain it up in the air.

Yeah man... Beer would be cool, I got some here :)... What time do you finish up at work these days ? You could come over and laugh at me circling the bike with my finger up my arse (everybody needs a hobby eh ?) I swear I'm weaing a frecking trough in the concrete.

Sedge.

FROSTY
14th May 2005, 15:43
Well, the biggest change apart from f**king up the paint job :( is that the reg is on hold for six months or so while I figure out how to pull the thing to bits without it falling on me.

I've got a nice new set of forks waiting to go on, everything else looks shitty but is fine mechanically. I keep faffing between 1. Do I strip it down, clean it up and have it too nice to drop ? or 2. Do I do a half arse job and have a half arse bike that I always know is half arsed ?

Final result is that I just stand around drinking beer looking at it thinking about how much work it needs, how I don't think my rafters can take the weight of the bike (they really can't, it's a crappy old garage) and if I can balance it on the sump while I take out the swingarm and forks (who the hell knows ???).

Ah... I'll get there one day, may need to buy one of those engine extractor stands so I can chain it up in the air.

Yeah man... Beer would be cool, I got some here :)... What time do you finish up at work these days ? You could come over and laugh at me circling the bike with my finger up my arse (everybody needs a hobby eh ?) I swear I'm weaing a frecking trough in the concrete.

Sedge.
yep this is frosty advertising BUT--mate what ya need is a set of my pit stands.One for the front fits into the steering head and lets ya remove the entire front end.The other fits onto ya swingarm making engine/wheel removal a doddle. Its shit loads easier than hanging the bike off the gargre roof

sedge
15th May 2005, 11:30
yep this is frosty advertising BUT--mate what ya need is a set of my pit stands.One for the front fits into the steering head and lets ya remove the entire front end.The other fits onto ya swingarm making engine/wheel removal a doddle. Its shit loads easier than hanging the bike off the gargre roof

I need to get the swing arm right out to paint it without the bike falling over, I'm aiming to paint around the rest of the frame once it's out (saves me dropping the engine :) )

I just can't quite figure out how to stop the thing falling over while I do it, I don't think a pit stand will work, might have to make a cradle for the sump and jack it up somehow.

I will need a pit stand or two once I've got the thing happening, chain lubing without a centre stand is a bit precarous.

Time for some more beer and circling I think :)

Sedge.

Blakamin
15th May 2005, 13:10
give me a yell on the painting, sedge.... got black betty in the gargre now for a coupla coats and a flame job.... :drinknsin :niceone:

FROSTY
15th May 2005, 14:08
sedge --theres a crowd does bike lifts for stuff like harleys and they lift the bike by its belly

sAsLEX
15th May 2005, 14:18
I will need a pit stand or two once I've got the thing happening, chain lubing without a centre stand is a bit precarous.

Time for some more beer and circling I think :)

Sedge.

I have a custom stand to lube the chain, cost about 0.1c and is about a foot and a half long, just lean the bike towards the stand and then jam the piece of wood under the right foot peg, works well just wouldn't leave it like that for too long
will post pic tonight.

TLDV8
15th May 2005, 14:34
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/slipperclutchrange.html

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/ducati-48t-clutch-small.jpg