PDA

View Full Version : What does PS standard for?

p.dath
30th December 2009, 12:14
When reading several spec pages I seen the power stated using a measurement called PS. It seems to stand for horse power, but what is PS short for?

An example is this page:
http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Honda/CBR600F4i/Page4.htm
It says the max power output is 110.2PS.

steve_t
30th December 2009, 12:17
Pferdestärke

German unit of hp. Near enough 1:1
1ps=0.986hp

kwaka_crasher
30th December 2009, 13:30
It stands for "You're getting ripped off to the tune of 1.4% of power because you think it's exactly the same thing as HP".

slowpoke
30th December 2009, 13:31
Nup, it stands for Ponies (Shetland) 'cos they are just like real horses only smaller.

awa355
5th January 2010, 11:57
It stands for "You're getting ripped off to the tune of 1.4% of power because you think it's exactly the same thing as HP".

No, you're not getting "ripped off ", the engine still produces an exact amount of power. It's all in how you want to call it. Same as torque, , 180ft/lb torque is about 120NM. approx.

Hey!! I'm going to double the output of my bike, it now develops 44 ponies, not 22hp. It is amazing that after almost 40 years since converting to metric, how many people still fall back on the old imperial measurements. ( I do ) Nobody has ever caught a 8.8kg snapper, it is always a 20lb fish. A 160kph is just a number. but doing the "Ton" ,100mph, thats still a magic achievement for us old farts bought up on the early 70's bikes.

sinfull
5th January 2010, 12:29
When reading several spec pages I seen the power stated using a measurement called PS. It seems to stand for horse power, but what is PS short for?

An example is this page:
http://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/Honda/CBR600F4i/Page4.htm
It says the max power output is 110.2PS. Noooo It stands for "permanently stuff" the thread in yr sump if you give it one more nudge !

vifferman
5th January 2010, 13:17
Y'know, I had this REALLY clever idea! I typed "PS" into Google, and Lo! (Behold!!) the second entry turned up was a Wikipedia one which had the various meanings of PS , including "Pferdestärke".

Pretty kewl, huh? :rolleyes:

Kornholio
5th January 2010, 13:48
Y'know, I had this REALLY clever idea! I typed "PS" into Google, and Lo! (Behold!!) the second entry turned up was a Wikipedia one which had the various meanings of PS , including "Pferdestärke".

That's amazing, where do I find this "Google" contraption?

cs363
5th January 2010, 18:51

That's amazing, where do I find this "Google" contraption?

Pfft! It'll never catch on.

kwaka_crasher
6th January 2010, 01:06
No, you're not getting "ripped off ", the engine still produces an exact amount of power. It's all in how you want to call it.

Try reading the post before begining the bullshit.

LBD
6th January 2010, 01:19
Try reading the post before begining the bullshit.

Weeth thet ettetude end a BLECK bike....yew mest be zeud efriken...?

(Been putting 2 and 2 together and getting anything but four years I have)

davebullet
6th January 2010, 05:23
Piece (of) Shit?

crazyhorse
6th January 2010, 06:19
How about pathetic stupidity :rofl: