PDA

View Full Version : Seized cylinder?

wanpo
3rd January 2010, 15:55
Hi,
I'm a newbie biker, just come across my first big issue with my bike. My bike's was due for its 4000k service about 700km back, and engine oil (as I just found out, AFTER my problem) is dangerously low.
Coming back along the motorway, I started hearing a strange noise, kinda sounded like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle (ahh nostalgic) and as I slowed down coming off, the bike kinds started to sound like a cross between a lawnmower/jetski.
I'm gonna grab some engine oil for it soon, fill it up and check what it sounds like tomorrow, of which I'll post in here. But any ideas as to what may have gone wrong (and how much it'll cost to fix >.<) will help steel my heart for the trip to the mechanic.
The bike's a Hyosung GT250R, and before I get "blah blah, Hyobag" responses, this one is probably my fault.
Thanks in advance,
Robbie

marsheng
4th January 2010, 00:03
If there was still some oil showing on the dipstick, it would probably be some other problem. If not it is probably time to look at buying a new bike.

Buying cheap is always expensive, because you have to buy twice when the first one doesn't work.

Cheers Wallace

CookMySock
4th January 2010, 08:22
Don't start it and don't ride it. There's something badly wrong.

Let a mechanic start it and have a listen. If you try and ride it you will grenade the whole engine and then its not worth anything.

Steve

Katman
4th January 2010, 09:59
Get someone to check your cam chain tensioners.

FZRSuper
6th January 2010, 21:49
Did the rear wheel momentarily lock up at any time? Did the bike feel like it was losing power? What you describe sounds exactly what my engine sounded like when it did a big-end bearing. Pray it ain't that... Definitely don't start it again until it's been checked by a mechanic.

hayd3n
6th January 2010, 21:55
how long is the warrenty for??????????
you dont have to be the original owner
get a bike shop to check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hayd3n
6th January 2010, 21:56
how long is the warrenty for??????????
you dont have to be the original owner
get a bike shop to check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wanpo
8th January 2010, 12:10
Rear wheel didn't lock up, but it definately lost power, definately felt/sounded like it was running on one cylinder. I think Hyosungs generally have a 2 year warranty, so it should still be in.
The mechanic has it with him now, was meant to get back to me yesterday, so I'll give him a call this afternoon.

.produKt
8th January 2010, 20:31
Any new news on this one?

wanpo
12th January 2010, 09:49
Still in the shop, they collected it wednesday morning and still havn't taken a look at it. I've called for an update almost everyday as I have no means of transport at the moment and miss my baby horribly. Will let you know when I know.

Update:
Just heard back from the shop.
The cam chain tensioner is shot which was meant to be replaced under hyosung warranty but there was some problem with people getting the notice (I'm the 3rd owner of the bike even though I picked it up at 1800km) They'll replace that under warranty, but the shop has to crack open the top end of the bike and check out what damage it's done and what needs to be replaced, hyosung said they may cover and probably subsidise anything that needs to be replaced. Waiting on the parts list and bill *fingers crossed it's not anything horrible*

CookMySock
12th January 2010, 11:28
A couple of hyo owners didn't get off so lightly when they didnt get the recalled tensioners replaced, so fingers crossed its not too major, and that they come to the party. With any luck its just a nudged valve, if that.

Steve

wanpo
12th January 2010, 12:47
I'll post what the damage is when I find out, should be getting back to me in the next couple of days.

I just miss riding aye. Havn't been out since it broke over a week back and it feels shit to be cooped up at home.

Katman
12th January 2010, 17:08
The cam chain tensioner is shot

Do I get a prize?

motorbyclist
12th January 2010, 21:58
Still in the shop, they collected it wednesday morning and still havn't taken a look at it. I've called for an update almost everyday as I have no means of transport at the moment and miss my baby horribly. Will let you know when I know.

Update:
Just heard back from the shop.
The cam chain tensioner is shot which was meant to be replaced under hyosung warranty but there was some problem with people getting the notice (I'm the 3rd owner of the bike even though I picked it up at 1800km) They'll replace that under warranty, but the shop has to crack open the top end of the bike and check out what damage it's done and what needs to be replaced, hyosung said they may cover and probably subsidise anything that needs to be replaced. Waiting on the parts list and bill *fingers crossed it's not anything horrible*

gutted mate! is the mechanic with a shop? surely they could at least offer a scooter as a courtesy vehicle (especially as getting a mechanic to open the top end isn't cheap)

hopefully hyosung doesn't try to back out because you missed a service - I'll definitely keep this one in mind as there's surely other riders out there we all know who are yet to get the replacement (what years/models does the recall encompass?)

wanpo
13th January 2010, 00:40
hopefully hyosung doesn't try to back out because you missed a service -
That's the thing, I was gonna take it in like that weekend -_-; I had 4-5k km in my head.
I'm not too sure what the recall encompasses, mine's a 2008 so outside that don't know sorry.

Do I get a prize?
I'd like to give you a time machine so you can tell me before it blew up, but I left my flux capacitor at work, and I'd be hard pressed getting to 88mph with my bike in the shop ;)

motorbyclist
13th January 2010, 01:09
off topic, but, you might find it useful to play with the "multi-quote" button next to the "reply with quote" one (welcome to kb)

wanpo
13th January 2010, 15:10
off topic, but, you might find it useful to play with the "multi-quote" button next to the "reply with quote" one (welcome to kb)
That does look useful.

Heard back from the shop, aparently it made a bit of a mess of the top end, broken Valve Guides among other things, the guides can't be replaced individually, but hyosung's going to give the part housing them (2nd hand, probably off a bike they've taking apart or an ex-racing one) And they're going to give a 60% discount on any other broken parts. I've been told the total cost including parts and labour will be ~$700 which is going to be a bit of a wallet-hit, but a lot better than what I had prepared myself for (no warranty cover/new engine/new bike.) Should hopefully be getting back to me early next week. I miss riding so much, will have been the longest two weeks I've had in a LONG time.

motorbyclist
14th January 2010, 21:15
surely it would be cheaper (labour wise and possibly parts too) to just bolt on a complete (2nd hand) head or even a whole top end? Also, what reason did they give for not covering this under warranty?

if hyosung parts pricing is anything like japanese parts pricing, then 60% off is just at cost of manufacture lol ;)

CookMySock
15th January 2010, 07:04
They wont cover it under warranty coz it was a standard recall item that he didn't take in and get done for free. It's not the importers fault that the customer does not know about the recall, or doesn't keep up to speed on these problems, and if he doesn't have a service relationship with the local hyosung dealer, it is unlikely they are going to run around after him and do it for him.

I had the same thing happen - cracked crankcase, possibly from abuse. The dealer and importer swung a deal and a couple of hundy later we were back in business.

That might seem harsh, but thats too bad. Thats the world we live in, people can either get to grips with it or not. Up to them, but I'd suggest they got out of their chair and got the manual out and thought about it or asked their dealer.

Steve

wanpo
15th January 2010, 09:28
The real kicker was that I didn't get the notice; the two owners before me did, but it wasn't passed onto me, so hyosung is like "we did everything we could to contact the owner of the bike."

I'm not complaining and as I said I had prepared for worse and at this point just want my baby back.

CookMySock
15th January 2010, 09:52
The real kicker was that I didn't get the notice; the two owners before me did, but it wasn't passed onto meYup. If it was a cessna you wouldn't get a notice either. You would have to go find it yourself, and if it quit and killed you they would just say "sorry about that."

Ah well soon you will be behind bars and all will be good again. :niceone:

Steve

motorbyclist
15th January 2010, 10:27
The real kicker was that I didn't get the notice; the two owners before me did, but it wasn't passed onto me, so hyosung is like "we did everything we could to contact the owner of the bike."

damn, gutted the previous two owners were idiots then.... (if I had a dollar for every time I've said that I'd be able to buy a new bike)

Ah well soon you will be behind bars and all will be good again. :niceone:

lol took me a minute to get that one

CookMySock
15th January 2010, 12:21
lol took me a minute to get that oneYeah its good ay, I can't claim it to be mine though. I think it was a thread title here some months back.

Steve

wanpo
17th January 2010, 09:53
Got my bike back. The mechanic showed my the box of bits, huge valve shaped dents in the top of the piston, pins that were meant to be straight looking like gummy worms, crank broken in two. He was amazed I managed to get home when the shit hit the fan. He said the chain would have been loose for a long time and that the engine would sound completely different.

It does, and the bike feels different too, but I'm assuming this is what it was meant to feel like in the first place.

Had to go out for a ride yesterday; The ride was the reason, the destination the excuse. (Stole that from korider forums >.>)

CookMySock
17th January 2010, 17:56
Fucken luckeeee bro.

Steve