PDA

View Full Version : Good place on North Shore to go for warrant?

Real_Wolf
3rd January 2010, 18:43
Topic says it all.

Thanks
(and yes I am talking about bike warrant)

YellowDog
3rd January 2010, 18:45
Topic says it all.

Thanks
(and yes I am talking about bike warrant)

I use VTNZ on Archers Road.

Not great service but they give you what you need.

Edbear
3rd January 2010, 18:55
Why not take a cruise to the lovely Hibiscus Coast and pay a visit to Classic_Z in Whangaparaoa. You can check out his mint Z1300 and his turbo project bike. He owns Hibiscus Coast Service Centre and ph. is 09-424 0477.

rainman
3rd January 2010, 18:57
VTNZ Saturn Place does it for me. At least one of the guys is a biker, but they're all usually friendly and efficient.

vifferman
3rd January 2010, 19:07
Depends what you mean by "good place to go for a warrant".
I go to Action Bike Wreckers behind Cycletreads on Barrys Point Road. You can count on Roger to check your bike out for safety issues, without being pedantic and bureaucratic about meeting every little rule. If you're looking for someone who'll overlook dodgy issues, or a ridiculously loud zorst, go elsewhere.

Squiggles
3rd January 2010, 19:15
You should go to a bike shop to ensure you get a better understanding of how fucked ya bike is.

Slyer
3rd January 2010, 19:25
I hear they can fail you just for owning a Suzuki.

p.dath
3rd January 2010, 20:35
Depends what you mean by "good place to go for a warrant".
I go to Action Bike Wreckers behind Cycletreads on Barrys Point Road. You can count on Roger to check your bike out for safety issues, without being pedantic and bureaucratic about meeting every little rule. If you're looking for someone who'll overlook dodgy issues, or a ridiculously loud zorst, go elsewhere.

+1 To Action Bike Wreckors.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/wiki/Action_Bike_Wreckers

retro asian
3rd January 2010, 22:06
Cycletreads do WOF now, but you have to ring them up and book first.

Squiggles
7th January 2010, 09:40
did it pass?

Real_Wolf
7th January 2010, 11:00
I'm taking it up right after I have lunch

YellowDog
7th January 2010, 13:21
You should go to a bike shop to ensure you get a better understanding of how fucked ya bike is.

Amazingly enough, to Upgrade will all of a sudden seem like the best option.

You know it makes sense!

Real_Wolf
7th January 2010, 16:34
Okay, didn't take it today, apparently the picnic which I had agree'd to go to with my gf was today, or so I found out right after I posted that message. So tomorrow it is

Squiggles
7th January 2010, 16:47
I rode the CX up the drive before (did a bit of work earlier to get it running). Still needs a couple of things done to be ready tho

Real_Wolf
8th January 2010, 13:19
well almost passed. One thing wrong: Leaking fork seals.

Anyone know how easy/hard that is to fix, and whether its a do-it-yourself job or something I should take to a mechanic (yes, everything can be done yourself, but some things, like oil changes, are hard to stuff up, while others, like rebalancing carbs are quite alot easier to make things worse with)

Slyer
8th January 2010, 13:35
I know everything about fixing forks, ask Stephen. :bleh:

Squiggles
8th January 2010, 13:36
well almost passed. One thing wrong: Leaking fork seals.

Anyone know how easy/hard that is to fix, and whether its a do-it-yourself job or something I should take to a mechanic (yes, everything can be done yourself, but some things, like oil changes, are hard to stuff up, while others, like rebalancing carbs are quite alot easier to make things worse with)

Its a bit of work, cant be done yourself if you have the cant be fucked attitude =P Requires a few tools and of course new seals and oil. We've done a few sets in the grage

Squiggles
8th January 2010, 13:36
I know everything about fixing forks, ask Stephen. :bleh:

Yep, you know just about every possible way to reassemble them so they still leak :lol:

Slyer
8th January 2010, 13:40
It's also the perfect time to replace your fork oil, clean the fork out and set your preload properly.
But yes you need plenty of CBF to get the job done.

Real_Wolf
8th January 2010, 16:59
well if you'll give me a hand I'd be keen to do it myself, even if only so I know what it requires to do. How much would it cost to get the stuff and do it yourself roughly?

Any plans for a fixit soon?

Slyer
8th January 2010, 21:21
20 bucks or so for fork oil from cycletreads. You'd have to do a hunt to source the fork seals, try asking at holeshot or somewhere?
There are two sets of seals, the oil seals and the dust seals. Do you know if the dust seals are ok?
The dust seals are the one you can actually see.

motorbyclist
9th January 2010, 08:50
20 bucks for oil, 40-80 for seals (dirtbike experience says the cheap ones last three months whereas the genuine ones last three years), and about three hours in the unlikely event that we don't have any major problems. (honestly I reckon once they're off the bike we could get it down to 20minutes per fork if we're good)

if you remove the forks from the bike and give them to a competent mechanic it shouldnt be more than a few hundred bucks

Real_Wolf
9th January 2010, 11:27
much rather do the three hours than the hundred bucks.

The dust seals look okay, but I don't truly know how they'd look if they were wrong though. Anyone willing to give me a hand both to find the right oil and the right seals. I do have a .pdf of the way to take apart and put back together teh forks, though not sure if its really detailed enough to do it on my own

Squiggles
9th January 2010, 11:49
Anyone willing to give me a hand both to find the right oil and the right seals.

20 bucks or so for fork oil from cycletreads. You'd have to do a hunt to source the fork seals, try asking at holeshot or somewhere?

When you get the seals (from a place such as holeshot/colemans/haldanes/anywhere that has them) get the right weight oil, do a couple of google searches and check the manual to find what oil weight to use, i suspect it'll take 10w. You also need to know how much oil to put it (the height to fill to)

Real_Wolf
9th January 2010, 13:02
fork oil type #10
capacity is 401ml each leg

hold vertical and fork oil level is 90mm

As for the frk oil, just says suzuki fork oil # 10, 99000-99044-10g.

No clue about the seals, not listed in the workshop manual, gonna have to call about that

motorbyclist
9th January 2010, 17:27
it'll be 10w

what the manual doesn't tell you is how difficult the things can be to pop apart ;)

Danae
9th January 2010, 18:52
clonk, clonk, clonk, THUNK! :laugh: