PDA

View Full Version : Gpx250 stuck in neutral

mp64
4th January 2010, 23:20
hi i was wondering if somebody could help me, my gpx250 was in the garage for about a month not being used and when i went to use it the other day it would not change from neutral to 1st (but happily changes from neutral up through the rest of the gears). i tried moving the bike back and forward incase the clutch plates were stuck, i also tried running it a bit to warm up then try but to no avail. when i try engage 1st there is no movement at all which makes me think there is either a problem with the shifter fork or drum. any thoughts/possible solutions would be appreciated .

Cheers

hayd3n
5th January 2010, 06:08
take it for a ride you can still start bike in neutral and take of in 2nd

James Deuce
5th January 2010, 06:09
Sounds like the Kawasaki positive neutral finder malady.

Launch in second and ride for a bit. That should free it up. Make sure you go down through the box when coming to a halt or first will fight back from time to time.

If it still doesn't go into first easily, try feeding the clutch in and out around the take up point when selecting first.

4th gear has a bunch of balls on the output side that centripetal force prevents dropping into the shaft. When you come to a halt the balls drop into a slot preventing any gear selection other than 1st and neutral. Not much goes wrong with it and lots of Kawasaki riders report fussy 1st gear selection.

CookMySock
5th January 2010, 08:22
4th gear has a bunch of balls on the output side that centripetal force prevents dropping into the shaft. When you come to a halt the balls drop into a slot preventing any gear selection other than 1st and neutral.You know the best solution for that ay? Rip its balls out. :(

Steve

FROSTY
5th January 2010, 11:30
probably stating the odvious but the external shift mechanism hasn't had a knock has it.?? Could be in the big shift to first the lever is getting tangled up with the shift rod -might just nead a lil tweak outwards so it clears

BoristheBiter
5th January 2010, 18:59
My other halfs XR200 has just started to do the same.
It will not go into first unless it is slightly moving so i am a bit worried that it is about to cost some dollars as i have no bike repair expereance.
It seems that the lever will just not go down far enough.