PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a cam chain tensioner for a 1986 CBX550

swbarnett
15th January 2010, 16:37
It's possible the tensioner can be retensioned by just shortening the spring (or so I've read) but I won't know until I get the lid off.

Does anyone know where I could source one of these?

I've been talking to Cyclespot and they tell me that Honda doesn't make them anymore (no big surprise I guess.

cs363
15th January 2010, 16:43
I'd give Econohonda (http://www.econohonda.co.nz/) a yell, that's just the sort of thing they are likely to have in stock :)

vifferman
15th January 2010, 16:47
Even if they don't have a CBX550-specific tensioner listed, I'd be surprised if there isn't something else available that would work. Honda has always had lots of parts that were shared between models.

F5 Dave
18th January 2010, 15:48
There used to be a crowd in UK that did replacement tensioners that actually worked. Hmm quick google:Galea Cam Chain Services, yeah that's right, but not sure they have a website, have a look around.

swbarnett
18th January 2010, 21:59
Thanks for the suggestions. I found one through EconoHonda.

What I didn's realise initially was that in the pile of papers I got from the previous owner when I bought the bike was an invoice from EconoHonda with a part number for the tensioner. Rang them up today and ordered one along with a chain. Should turn up on Wednesday.

cyrex686
9th October 2015, 08:09
Sorry to stir up this old thread. I don't know if this will help anyone in the future, but I made a video of how to replace the timing/cam chain, which involves most of the work to get to the tensioner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHx2eH3byis

I should also note that the spring on the tensioner looks pretty generic, so might be replaceable, from an industrial supplier like McMaster Carr.

ellipsis
9th October 2015, 17:54
...cool stuff dude...I watched about five 30 second sequences...I did a lot of shit to my wife's CBX550F, and wish I had some info other than the book...a Honda nightmare of lots of good ideas that were too good or too early or just too Honda...just memories now, thank fuck...still one of the most amazing little pieces of jappy shit to grace the shed...:apint:have an e-pint on me...