PDA

View Full Version : 1998 xr250r

smudge
18th January 2010, 22:59
A friend has one and after it went upside down I suggested he check the oil level - it was left upsde down for some time. I had to show him how, there was no oil showing so I advised him to go to a bike shop, get the right oil and give me a call and I'll change it for him. Today I got a call and he has already tried to change the oil. Unfortunately I dont know the bike well so can only describe what he has done second hand ... he has removed what he thought was the drain plug but it was on the left hand side below the countershaft. It has an allen socket head and he had this thing half way out and something went boiiiiiiing, now the gear lever doesnt work. I guess this thing locates the shifter drum does this description ring any bells? I will be going round to check it out in a couple of days, what would have gone boing? A spring behind the clutch cover? Have taken plenty of bikes to pieces before but am unfamiliar with XR's, it cant be too much I guess :bleh: but forewarned is forearmed.

smudge
25th January 2010, 19:50
Anyone able to help with this? I saw the bike today, the bolt he took out would appear to hold the gear shift return spring. From what I can see the cases need to be split.