PDA

View Full Version : GSXR600 K6 - Pissing Coolant @ 110 Degrees - thoughts?

EnzoYug
18th January 2010, 23:03
Hi Yall,

So went for a ride with two very fresh-faced 250 owners who're still learning. Had to stop often to let them catch up - next thing I know the temp is up in the 110-114 degree range and the bike's dripping coolant!

I stop the bike, take a look, taste it (just kidding) to check etc... yup that's coolant, and i can hear what sounds like boiling water from the radiator.

I quickly flick the bike back on (but don't start the engine), the fan comes on and whoosh it starts to piss coolant out of the bottom of the bike! I kill the power, coolant stops. I let it cool off and take the motorway home, the temp never goes over 85' - and when i get home it doesn't leak anything more.

So whats the deal - was the coolant boiling over and exiting from a pressure valve? have I split a seal / pipe? Thoughts please....

Oh yeah, what's a good coolant brand - I saw some advertised "magic" 25% cooler-or-your-money-back at Red Baron, is that worth it? And the bikes due for a 24,000k service, coolant should be covered right?

TimeOut
19th January 2010, 06:18
Hi
It sounds like you've been giving it heaps then stopped and shut off suddenly! If you've done that the engine will be very hot and you're expecting the small amount of coolant to cool it without any air through the radiator to cool the coolant.

To remedy this after a hard run either cruise for a km or so, or if you stop suddenly allow the bike to idle for a minute or so. This'll allow the engine to cool, the coolant temperature will rise but this is just the heat being transferred from the engine to the coolant.

Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

P.S Check your coolant level when the bike is cold it may need topped up

F5 Dave
22nd January 2010, 15:53
I'd check your coolant level if you haven't already. If it was super low the temp sender drops out of the water & won't read properly. I have no idea why this happened. It is possible you have had a stone hole the rad or something. Ignore special coolant, you aren't racing. Determine your problem.

Also don't assume the mechanic will check coolant unless you specifically mention it. I would be very keen to check the coolant level before you do more riding though, just to see where you're at. you can just add water as a test & replace with some coolant later. Good idea to totally flush every couple of years as it doesn't last forever.

NewRob
22nd January 2010, 20:37
Hi, might be the radiator cap. If it is old, it will lose it's stiffnes and the pressure will push up the spring to let the coolant out the by-pass when it is hot. Don't know if your bike has a thermostat, it might be getting stuck.
That what I might check first.
Cheers.
Just my thoughts.

kwaka_crasher
22nd January 2010, 23:20
Pressure test the cooling system and the cap. Go from there.

CookMySock
23rd January 2010, 07:04
I'd check your coolant level if you haven't already. If it was super low the temp sender drops out of the water & won't read properly.If the line to the header tank isn't completely airtight, it won't allow the radiator to suck coolant back and top itself off. The result is a big air bubble in the radiator tank, promoting dissolved o2 and other nasties in the cooling system. Check the clips and clamps on the line from the the radiator cap area to the header tank, and make sure the header tank is filled to the _full_ mark.

Good idea to totally flush every couple of years as it doesn't last forever.Yep, and it's cheap, so just change it. Without the proper concentration of coolant and distilled water (repco - battery distilled water $4.50) mixed 50/50 at least, you will always have problems.

Steve

BoristheBiter
23rd January 2010, 11:37
I would go with what timeout just said. my 750 did the same thing when i was at Manfield.
gave it death on the track then straight to plamy north and got stuck in traffic, temp gauge at 112 and coolant everywhere (it was raining so a lot of steam).
stopped at the gas station waited a bit then carried on no problems since.