PDA

View Full Version : Kim Newcombe Doco

Brenda09
20th January 2010, 10:20
You guys seemed pretty keen to see the doco on John Britten that we put online (see it here (http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/britten-backyard-visionary-1993)), so I thought you might be interested to know that we have also published the 2005 documentary "Love, Speed & Loss (http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/love-speed-and-loss-2007)" about legendary kiwi motor-racer Kim Newcombe.

You can view the documentary here: http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/love-speed-and-loss-2007

It's in four parts - use the Clip Selector on the right side of the video player to move between the clips, or just select "next" when one clip has finished playing.

From the synopsis:

A documentary about motor-racer Kim Newcombe, who turned heads in the 70s on a Konig motorbike he developed and designed himself. He was killed racing in 1973 and posthumously came second in that year's World 500cc Grand Prix. The film mixes interviews and underdog triumph on the track scenes, with Super 8 footage of family life on the circuit, and poignant wife-of-maverick reflections from his widow Janeen. Love, Speed and Loss won best documentary at the 2007 Qantas TV Awards and Air NZ Screen Awards for best documentary, directing, and editing.

If you like that - check out the Speed Collection (http://www.nzonscreen.com/collection/speed) as well!

mrknot
21st January 2011, 17:33
As far as the Konig go,s if it were any good which it was not due to reliability problems. It would still be made today. As for Kim Newcombe it is a fact that he is a world cup loser. Nobody rembers who came 2nd.. Poor subject matter for any book Any one who should write such a book would be on to a loser, Enter Tim hanna.. If it were not for Word this book would have been unable to happen as tim can not even spell. As for the boat he say,s will be finished soon it has been on the hard stand for ten years and will never float. It is in fact a caravan that will never flot due to poor workmanship..

Kickaha
21st January 2011, 17:54
As far as the Konig go,s if it were any good which it was not due to reliability problems. It would still be made today. As for Kim Newcombe it is a fact that he is a world cup loser. Nobody rembers who came 2nd.. Poor subject matter for any book Any one who should write such a book would be on to a loser, Enter Tim hanna.. If it were not for Word this book would have been unable to happen as tim can not even spell. As for the boat he say,s will be finished soon it has been on the hard stand for ten years and will never float. It is in fact a caravan that will never flot due to poor workmanship..

What a dickhead :tugger:

Unreliable and finished second?, you'd think if it was unreliable it'd be a bit further down the field

Bet there's a fuck sight more people who'd remember Kim for finishing second than will remember you

edit: so whose alias are you then?

Latte
21st January 2011, 17:58

So how'd you do in the Grand Prix again?

...... I'd watched the doco twice before and it's quite interesting, also the britten doco is on there too iirc. Worth an hour or 2.

davebullet
21st January 2011, 19:04

That's disgraceful and so disrespectful. Take some medication or get some counselling.

I haven't seen this documentary yet but watched one a couple of years ago at the film archives (maybe the same one) and was in awe of Kim - what he achieved and on a shoestring budget. Was a brilliantly put together documentary too.

tri boy
21st January 2011, 20:06
Kim followed his dream. Built a race bike and bathed in his passion.
MrKnot,(worth a pinch of shit).
Is wallowing in his own disturbed self importance.Have another swig of meths dude.

SPman
21st January 2011, 20:47
He only came 2nd because he was killed before the end of the season!

dino3310
21st January 2011, 21:08
He only came 2nd because he was killed before the end of the season!

Shit dude i just watched your avatar...wicked....

i saw the doco when it first came out at the old theatre in Ham's, totally awesome, sad but totally cool. cant quite remember but didnt he have a couple of rounds to go before the end of the season and he still came in 2nd, one place ahead of the great Giacomo Agostini and 1 behind the brit Phil Read. would have been good to see MV Augusta beaten by an outboard motor.

mrknot the only world cup loser here is you ya dick... Kims a fucken legend

ellipsis
21st January 2011, 21:24
...what do you mean...'would have been good to see a kiwi knock Giacomo off his perch'...he did...

...as far as mrknot goes...yer a fuckwit..

dino3310
21st January 2011, 21:28
yeah tidied that up... learn me for not doing a post preview:doh:

young1
22nd January 2011, 07:41
Brenda thank you posting the link. Newcombe is a legend.

Knot I am lost for words, I can't think that someone could stoop that low, it saddens me.

Is there a moderator who can remove his post please. I would hate a family member of Kim's to read it.

ynot slow
22nd January 2011, 07:52

Alas he dies doing what he loved,and befor season ended.

Logic like that implies Britten was a loser because he only made 10 bikes,bloody death tends to fuck life up according to your thinking.

Who remembers placegetters-their mates and family.Have in speedway just had various NZ champs,only 1 can win.My mums cousin won stockcar title in 70's,many still remember who was 2,3,4 etc.When I crewed at NZ's and we qualifiyed in final 26 from over 80 cars,were we pissed off we didn't win(or finish 3 heats)?nope,driver was wrapt to be in final.

cs363
22nd January 2011, 07:57

Cock. :tugger:

Wingnut
22nd January 2011, 08:06

Here is another example of the sad side of some Kiwi personalities - Tall Poppie?

Hey Mrknot - fuck off back under that depressing rock you came out from. Your just trying to wind up people - but in bad taste. Most have nothing but respect for Kim's Newcombe's achievements. Your just a sad ass - I kinda feel sorry for you - loser.

Kickaha
22nd January 2011, 09:28
Here is another example of the sad side of some Kiwi personalities - Tall Poppie?.

As a troll he was quite successful

Grumph
22nd January 2011, 09:46

I dare you to tell Ginger Molloy or Keith Turner that they're losers because they "only" finished 2nd in the 500 World title.....I'd pay to watch that.
Looking at your spelling mate, it's amusing you're criticising Tim...
I agree with the majority opinion....dickhead.

Bender
22nd January 2011, 12:31
Knot you are a total dickhead.

Tim Hanna started that documentary and Dick Driver stole the project from him. Tim has been to the courts who ordered the aptly named "Dick" to return footage.

Tim Hanna's own documentary on the subject is well advanced. I suspect it will be a more accurate record of Kim Newcombe's life.

If you read the book you'll realise that Newcombe was a truly exceptional individual and his loss was one that all New Zealand motorcycling should mourn heartily.

Clivoris
22nd January 2011, 13:49
Golly. That's quite a big axe being ground there mrknot. What a well balanced, bright and confident person you must be.
I'm trawling through "Kim" the book at the moment, and shit it has a lot of loosely connected information and history that distracts from the "story" but provides a real depth of context about what that time period was like. On the balance, I'm enjoying it and it has opened my eyes to how great his achievements were.

p.dath
22nd January 2011, 14:23
As a troll he was quite successful

I think it was a troll. Look at mrknot's profile. mrknot has no info, only one post, and mrknot's join date is immediately prior to that one post.

Someone created a brand new user especially to make that post.

gammaguy
22nd January 2011, 14:44

sounds like a shitload of sour grapes in your basket dude

fact is he achieved a lot and should receive the praise he deserves.

Which GP did you win then?

dino3310
22nd January 2011, 16:29
I've got it!!! mrknot is really...........wait for it.......wait for it

Giacomo Agostini

:killingme

Big Dave
22nd January 2011, 21:53
Tim Hanna's own documentary on the subject is well advanced.

I spoke to Tim last week.
Told me the documentary is pretty much complete.

R6_kid
22nd January 2011, 23:35
As far as the Konig go,s if it were any good which it was not due to reliability problems. It would still be made today. As for Kim Newcombe it is a fact that he is a world cup loser. Nobody rembers who came 2nd..

Coming second without finishing the championship due to being dead is quite an achievement.

And the reason the bike/engine were not continued in development has nothing to do with reliability... in fact there was some demand for their engines at the time until Kim died and Dieter Konig didn't feel right continuing on with the production and development.

What you're also missing is that they were privateers taking on factory backed teams, the difference in financial support was rather substantial.

I guess you think that coming before your missus makes you a winner? :niceone:

SPman
22nd January 2011, 23:59
I dare you to tell Ginger Molloy or Keith Turner that they're losers because they "only" finished 2nd in the 500 World title.....I'd pay to watch that.
Or Graeme Crosby.........

cantilever
10th February 2011, 15:46
Tim Hanna started that documentary and Dick Driver stole the project from him. Tim has been to the courts who ordered the aptly named "Dick" to return footage.
Tim Hanna's own documentary on the subject is well advanced. I suspect it will be a more accurate record of Kim Newcombe's life.
If you read the book you'll realise that Newcombe was a truly exceptional individual and his loss was one that all New Zealand motorcycling should mourn heartily.

Mr Knot you are an Idiot. Bender you are mis-informed.
Richard Driver did not steal anything from Tim Hanna. The courts did not rule that he must return anything to Hanna. Hanna is knowingly distorting the truth. The film that Hanna is making is based arround an interview he undertook with Janeen Newcombe in 2004. What Hanna doesn't own up to is that this was paid for by Driver with his own money. I got this from the cameraman. Hanna's questions were written by Driver as Hanna was unprepared,. This truth is unsuitable for Hanna. But Hanna's own film wouldn't have been possible to make without Driver's critical input. We thank TH for the books, but not his negativity and falsehoods. Shame on you.

cantilever
10th February 2011, 15:51

Richard Driver did not steal anything from Tim Hanna. The courts did not rule that he must return anything to Hanna. Hanna is knowingly distorting the truth. The film that Hanna is making is based arround an interview he undertook with Janeen Newcombe in 2004. What Hanna doesn't own up to is that this was paid for by Driver with his own money. I got this from the cameraman. Hanna's questions were written by Driver as Hanna was unprepared,. This truth is unsuitable for Hanna. But Hanna's own film wouldn't have been possible to make without Driver's critical input. We thank TH for the books, but not his negativity and falsehoods. Shame on you.

bultaco
22nd February 2011, 20:56
Hah! the self-righteous trustifarian that is Hanna - he has a way of grinding people down while insisting that he is the victim and the absolute arbiter of what is right. His is the ultimate pusher of his own agenda. Something amiss alright but he has found his little patch late in life and he will protect it most violently and with regard to relationships and the truth. Persistent little Timmy. Ugly Bender.