PDA

View Full Version : Role Model Rider Campaign - win $50 petrol vouchers and more

motorbyclist
20th January 2010, 23:30
Squiggles has been holding onto this gem since early December it would seem:

ACC Injury Prevention in partnership with Auckland region Councils’ Road Safety Divisions, NZ Police, Ulysses Club Auckland, Auckland University Students Motorcycle Club, Auckland Motorcycle Club, motorcycle retailers, motorcycle interest groups & local radio stations are promoting the
ROLE MODEL RIDER CAMPAIGN
December 2009 – April 2010

We Want YOU!

Be our eyes to spot Role Model Riders out on the roads in the Auckland region:
If motorcycle or scooter riders are wearing a White, Bright-coloured or good quality Helmet, Gloves, Bike Jacket, Bike Pants, & Boots AND riding safely…
WE WANT THEIR BIKE REGO NUMBER
Simply Text the Bike Rego Number to:
0274 966 541 OR 021 346 406
This puts the Bike Rider IN THE DRAW each month TO WIN
$50 PETROL VOUCHERS plus
MOTORCYCLE SAFETY PACK OF GOODIES value $120
PLUS WAIT….THERE’S MORE….
By texting the bike rider’s rego number PLUS your own name,
YOU will also go in the Draw to win $50 petrol vouchers each month!!!

there you have it; safety pays :niceone:

-Andrew, SMC Safety Officer

James Deuce
21st January 2010, 07:12
Sucking up to the enemy always works in our favour. The simple fact that motorcycling's biggest enemy, Ulysses, supports it should be enough to put right thinking riders off.

If you are going to txt in the license plate of a model motorcyclist, make sure you txt it in on the move.

PirateJafa
21st January 2010, 08:49
Sweet as! I'm bound to be in to win!

red mermaid
21st January 2010, 08:58
Perhaps this is what Ixion from BRONZ meant when he starting slagging off the police because he had heard unsubstantiated reports and rumours that they were going to be targetting motorcyclists.

Squiggles
21st January 2010, 09:04
I thought it was funny how they swapped scooter for students in our name :lol:

Slyer
21st January 2010, 09:07
There's something wrong with this contest. Only lame people can win it.

R6_kid
21st January 2010, 09:12
WOW, that one is really hard to exploit!

Hanne
21st January 2010, 09:47
Hey Gareth, I'll text in your plate if yo text in mine :P

R6_kid
21st January 2010, 13:00
Hey Gareth, I'll text in your plate if yo text in mine :P

Sweetas... just gotta go buy some more fluro/reflective stickers for my helmet!

James Deuce
21st January 2010, 13:08
Sweetas... just gotta go buy some more fluro/reflective stickers for my helmet!
So you ride with your fly undone too?

ManDownUnder
21st January 2010, 13:13
So I can ride like a total cock, and be a role model so long as people can SEE me riding like a total cock?

... odd...

Rayray401
21st January 2010, 20:10
Just get all your mates to txt in your rego?

Hitcher
21st January 2010, 21:23
At last. Oh joy. A fashion-in-the-field contest to be presided over by ATGATT bureaucrats. Just what we need.

"Safety" my arse.

motorbyclist
21st January 2010, 22:15
Perhaps this is what Ixion from BRONZ meant when he starting slagging off the police because he had heard unsubstantiated reports and rumours that they were going to be targetting motorcyclists.

actually at the start of 2009 (or was it 2008?) they did publicly announce that they were targeting bikes - just as they have targeted boy racers and continue to target drunk drivers

and what with the new levies, it'd be pretty lucrative to start checking regos by the end of this year.....

At last. Oh joy. A fashion-in-the-field contest to be presided over by ATGATT bureaucrats. Just what we need.

"Safety" my arse.

look, do you want free petrol vouchers for far more than your bike can possibly carry or not?!

what's more, this $50 comes straight from teh ACC accident prevention budget - consider it a rego refund for the responsible ;)

Hinny
21st January 2010, 23:57
Sort of interesting that

If you search Auckland CC, ACC or even NZ Police you find no reference to this.
If you do NZ wide search you find not reference to this
They ask you to txt the details to a standard mobile, not a txt campaign number as you woudl expect with any corporate promotion
There is no qualification such as "first X number" so this has no financial limit or cap.

James Deuce
22nd January 2010, 10:10
look, do you want free petrol vouchers for far more than your bike can possibly carry or not?!

what's more, this $50 comes straight from teh ACC accident prevention budget - consider it a rego refund for the responsible ;)

Any deal with the Devil is a bad one. This is a PR campaign to improve ACC's image with motorcyclists because they perceive us to be simple souls and thus easily bought. I see they are correct in their assumption. Ulysses have slapped their name on it so they can look like heroes.

ACC will spend 3 million on petrol vouchers fairly quickly and discharge themselves from the undertaking to fund 3 million dollars worth of safety initiatives.

Any reward based on the perception that someone is wearing good gear is ridiculous. They'd do better to construct a pamphlet to go out with Rego reminders telling people how to buy gear that fits properly and how to test it fits properly before spending money on it.

Ixion
22nd January 2010, 10:35
IOn fairness, ACC have run these sorts of promotions before, prior to the levy issue. And the funding for this obviously isn't coming from the proposed safety fund. And the total dollar spend will be small - a few thousand, not millions

My objection to this sort of promotion is that it is a waste of money. And I am concerned that when ACC do have $3M to play with it will be wasted in the same way.

I very much doubt that a campaign like this will make the slightest difference to bike safety - in fact, probably the reverse.

Hinny
22nd January 2010, 10:36
ACC will spend 3 million on petrol vouchers fairly quickly and discharge themselves from the undertaking to fund 3 million dollars worth of safety initiatives.

Where did you get that number from?

James Deuce
22nd January 2010, 10:38
Where did you get that number from?

One of the negotiated outcomes from the Bikoi.

Hinny
22nd January 2010, 10:51
So you don't believe this is some sort of a scam in spite of my earlier posted reservations?

James Deuce
22nd January 2010, 10:58
Nah, they've done it before without any public advertising through various elements of NZ motorcycling from Bike shops to bike clubs.

vifferman
22nd January 2010, 11:28
So I can ride like a total cock, and be a role model so long as people can SEE me riding like a total cock?
Didja miss the bit at the end (after 'boots') tha says "AND riding safely"?

Nah, they've done it before without any public advertising through various elements of NZ motorcycling from Bike shops to bike clubs.
I initially thought this seemed like a good idea, but if it's done semi-covertly like this, it's not promoting safety at all. I can't see it being very likely that those who are 'rewarded' in this way and crow to their mates about getting a petrol voucher will inspire their mates to go out and get better gear. It's more a self-promotional thing by the ACC, effectively saying, "Look! We're being nice! And we're doing something about safety!"
I can't see them giving out $3million on petrol vouchers either, especially if they're not advertising doing this. (And if they were, the advertising would presumably come out of the $3million budget!) If they're only putting nominated riders in a draw for a petrol voucher, and it's running for only a few months, that doesn't add up to very many vouchers.
Assuming it's 5 months, that's 12,000 vouchers per monthly draw. (Cue Tui ad here...)

Squiggles
22nd January 2010, 11:45
Its something in the region of 30-40 vouchers from memory.

Dammed if they do dammed if they dont eh?

vifferman
22nd January 2010, 13:02
Dammed if they do dammed if they dont eh?
Well, while in principle it's a good idea (that is, encouraging riders to be safety-conscious), they need to be sure that the money spent is a good "return on investment'. After all, it's not their money they're throwing around.

Squiggles
22nd January 2010, 13:39
Well, while in principle it's a good idea (that is, encouraging riders to be safety-conscious), they need to be sure that the money spent is a good "return on investment'. After all, it's not their money they're throwing around.

My biggest gripe would be this, and their lack of an overall vision... people who look after only specific areas (Manukau, Auckland City, Waitakere) without any cohesion on most projects, let alone an overall vision... Perfect when so many commute half way across the city for work

crazyhorse
22nd January 2010, 13:50

... odd...
Sounds like this contest might bring out the best.... or worse in some people. Who knows what the general public are going witness bike riders in Auckland doing....... the mind boggles :eek:

ManDownUnder
22nd January 2010, 14:13
Didja miss the bit at the end (after 'boots') tha says "AND riding safely"?

Adter due consideration of your question I would have to say... may-be...

James Deuce
22nd January 2010, 16:01
For those of you who struggle without smilies to convey humour (arr arr) I do not imagine ACC will give out 3 million dollars worth of petrol vouchers - they'll just say they've fulfilled their post-Bikoi obligations after giving out 12 $50 petrol vouchers.

Squiggles, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. ACC want motorcycles off the road. They're not interested in viable safety campaigns, or they'd be recruiting motorcycle safety experts to perfrom the task. Giving out petrol vouchers is simply another couple of paving stones on the road to a bike-less hell. Always remember that ACC think you are the enemy and a stupid one at that.

Ixion
22nd January 2010, 16:18

Hm. So, based on their figures , $62M, 1336 entitlement crashes, about $1500 invested in petrol vouchers. So, they're looking for a return on the investment of 0.03 of a crash ? Really investing for success aren't they.

Hanne
23rd January 2010, 12:19
Oh, 0.03? That probably was used up when I didn't slam the sidestand into my big toe whilst parking. (Hey, it hurts enough when it happens!)

Ixion
24th January 2010, 14:51
Actually, on reflection, I *do* have a problem with this. It nicely sums up the ACC attitude to motorcyclists - that we are all idiots riding dangerously without taking any sensible precautions : so perhaps we can be bribed or shamed into being more safety conscious.

Why is the contest not one where CAGE drivers can win a petrol voucher if nominated by motorcyclists for driving courteously and safely ? <!-- closing tag is in template navbar -->
<!-- Do not remove this copyright notice -->
<!-- Do not remove cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function --> <!-- Do not remove cronimage or your scheduled tasks will cease to function -->

Squiggles
24th January 2010, 15:22
Why is the contest not one where CAGE drivers can win a petrol voucher if nominated by motorcyclists for driving courteously and safely ?

We should suggest this to them :p

Ixion
24th January 2010, 20:43
They could call it the "He saw me so why the fuck can't you ?" award