PDA

View Full Version : Fucking rocker cover gasket

carver
21st January 2010, 20:55
on my GSXR600, i had a leaking rocker cover gasket when i brought it.
I was leaking on the left side
It had been pinched.
Got a new gasket and cemented it in

now it leaks on the right hand side.
Same kinda place, just near the crash bung.

why does this thing keep leaking oil out of the rocker cover gasket!

Pussy
21st January 2010, 21:03
on my GSXR600, i had a leaking rocker cover gasket when i brought it.
I was leaking on the left side
It had been pinched.
Got a new gasket and cemented it in

now it leaks on the right hand side.
Same kinda place, just near the crash bung.

why does this thing keep leaking oil out of the rocker cover gasket!

Not being a smartarse...(honest!)....
It's because it wasn't installed properly

carver
21st January 2010, 21:05
I did make sure it sat right, and i have been back and looked at it and it still semms to be sitting ok

98tls
21st January 2010, 21:08
You using a torque wrench?

carver
21st January 2010, 21:12
thats what i aint using, just crank em tight!

Pussy
21st January 2010, 21:30
thats what i aint using, just crank em tight!

There's your answer!
It really does pay to install VERY carefully, and torque the fasteners as per the manual.... and I fuggin know you have one of those!!!

kwaka_crasher
21st January 2010, 22:59
Got a new gasket and cemented it inCemented it into the rocker cover? With what? They're made of rubber FFS - they don't need anything else. Paper gaskets should be primed with just a very light wipe of grease. Never use anything on headgaskets. Gasket cement is a clear sign of an amateur.

That's probably the source of your leak. Or you didn't scrape the face and groove properly to remove all the gasket cement from the last amateur. No need for a torque wrench unless you're a clumsy oaf.

hayd3n
21st January 2010, 23:23
also use the criss cross bolt sequence xxxxxx

carver
22nd January 2010, 05:25
There's your answer!
It really does pay to install VERY carefully, and torque the fasteners as per the manual.... and I fuggin know you have one of those!!!

yeah, ok, will do!

Cemented it into the rocker cover? With what? They're made of rubber FFS - they don't need anything else. Paper gaskets should be primed with just a very light wipe of grease. Never use anything on headgaskets. Gasket cement is a clear sign of an amateur.

That's probably the source of your leak. Or you didn't scrape the face and groove properly to remove all the gasket cement from the last amateur. No need for a torque wrench unless you're a clumsy oaf.

nah, used gasket cement to hold it in to the rocker base, not the cover.
the last guy used gasket maker to hold it (murray de lacy i think)
you have to use it, otherwise it will not stay straight!

Pussy
22nd January 2010, 06:14
you have to use it, otherwise it will not stay straight!

You are correct! As per the manual!
And Suzuki know more about their bikes than others... if they give you a torque figure, use it!

CookMySock
22nd January 2010, 09:53
used gasket cement [....] you have to use it, otherwise it will not stay straight!Usually what happens, is the gasket "cement" acts as a lubricant, and the bastard slides out of place as soon as you put any weight on it.

For cork or rubber gaskets, the idea is to get ALL the surfaces pristinely clean (meths) and then fit the gasket and bolt it down - not so tightly the gasket is damaged. If there is any oil on any surface the gasket will slide around and it never seals.

Steve

Pixie
22nd January 2010, 12:40
If the cam cover screws are shoulder screws like the bandit,there is absolutely no point in tightening them up beyond a nip up.They tighten against the screw shoulder and not the cam cover.Engineering supplies do a roaring trade in M7 recoil kits to butcher suzuki mechanics and owners.
A bead of general purpose grease on the gasket face is all it needs to keep oil leaks away.

kwaka_crasher
22nd January 2010, 12:57
I've fitted hundred of rubber rocker cover gaskets in my time on the tools and never used anything extra except a tiny dab of a good quality silicone sealant (like Hylomar Hylosil) in any sharp corners, like cam end half-moons and distributor mount castings, and I've never had a problem with a leak. Ever. I've never 'torqued' a rocker cover either and I've never cracked one. Mind you, it has only been 20 years...

But it's up to you if you want to use that shit as a poor substitute for good installation.

Pussy
22nd January 2010, 13:06
I've fitted hundred of rubber rocker cover gaskets in my time on the tools and never used anything extra except a tiny dab of a good quality silicone sealant (like Hylomar Hylosil) in any sharp corners, like cam end half-moons and distributor mount castings.

That's what I meant.... bit of grey three bond etc as the manual recommends.....

kwaka_crasher
22nd January 2010, 13:10
But he seems to have smeared that shit everywhere along the entire length of the gasket or seal seat on the head. At least that's how I read it.

Pussy
22nd January 2010, 13:21
But he seems to have smeared that shit everywhere along the entire length of the gasket or seal seat on the head. At least that's how I read it.

If that's the case.... NOT good!

CookMySock
22nd January 2010, 13:22
But he seems to have smeared that shit everywhere along the entire length of the gasket or seal seat on the head. At least that's how I read it.yeah well if he does that, it will leap out of place with the tiniest pressure on it. Doesn't work.

Steve

R6_kid
22nd January 2010, 13:53
My K3 did exactly the same thing. Took it home and used some Loctite Gasket Goo (red stuff, smells and looks like strawberry jam???) and it sealed it up really good.

The Pastor
22nd January 2010, 15:27
Just weld the %^&%er

tri boy
22nd January 2010, 20:22
Carvers bike dribbles from both sides, just like the owner...........

:-)

carver
24th January 2010, 20:18
Carvers bike dribbles from both sides, just like the owner...........

:-)

maybe so, but in all the rocker cover gaskets i have done, which is a few, this one is the worst!