PDA

View Full Version : Harley-Davidson posts first loss since 1993

Bob
26th January 2010, 01:36
Harley-Davidson has posted a loss of USD 218.7 million in the last three months of 2009, compared to a USD 77.8 million profit in the same period in 2008.

Restructuring costs have been cited as a significant factor in the loss – and further restructuring costs of “another USD 175 million to USD 195 million this year” are mentioned, Harley believe that these will result in estimated long-term savings of USD 240 million to USD 260 million per year.

Stating that another difficult year is envisaged, Harley CEO Keith Wandell stated there are positives, such as the relatively strong position of their overseas sales. “If you look at our core motorcycle business, I couldn’t feel any better about where we are in terms of the actions we’ve taken.”

Harley-Davidson share prices fell by 7% after the announcement.

NordieBoy
26th January 2010, 06:42
Wonder how much was due to the publicity surrounding the Buell incident?

Headbanger
31st January 2010, 16:20
I wonder how much bigger the loss would have been if they didn't shut down Buell?

CookMySock
31st January 2010, 16:27
Harley-Davidson share prices fell by 7% after the announcement.BUY!

Steve

nallac
31st January 2010, 16:38
I wonder how much bigger the loss would have been if they didn't shut down Buell?

They spent US$70million on shutting Buell down...70 fuckin Mil....
Coulda just let the left over Buells sell out over a few more months rather than slashing prices and giving dealers rebates....

Bren
31st January 2010, 16:43
Well, any big buisness knows that there are going to be good years and bad years. So this has been a bad year fo many. Things will turn around again, they just need to weather the storm.

sinned
31st January 2010, 16:53
Well, any big buisness knows that there are going to be good years and bad years. So this has been a bad year fo many. Things will turn around again, they just need to weather the storm. Weathering the storm costs money they don't have. Only govts can weather big storms like here in NZ where $250m a week is borrowed to keep paying govtmt workers.

puddytat
31st January 2010, 22:03
Wonder how much was due to the publicity surrounding the Buell incident?

Quite alot probably.....ohh well they can concentrate on thier core bussiness now, namely belt buckles & bling.

Omega1
10th February 2010, 06:51
Yeah, the Buell fiasco is/will bite HD in the long run, can't understand why they just didn't sell it to Bomabardier?

RIP Buell,

I'm sure alot of American kids want a Sportster 48......