PDA

View Full Version : University study suggests vibrations through helmets may affect hearing

Bob
30th January 2010, 01:55
Academics at two universities in Bath are studying whether wearing motorcycle helmets can cause hearing damage. Dr Michael Carey and Dr Nigel Holt are studying how much noise is transmitted through the helmet.

Dr Carley said "The noise inside the helmet at the legal speed of 70 mph is higher than the legal limit for noise at work – more than enough to cause serious hearing damage. The issue isn't noisy engines or loud exhausts as you may think. The noise is simply from the airflow over the helmet,” adding that earplugs will not help much with this kind of noise, as it is transferred to the inner ear from the rider’s bones.

Dr Holt added "This isn't about putting people off riding or wearing helmets; it's about finding ways to reduce this damage so that riders can have a better riding experience.
"We hope the research will provide information which can be used in setting standards for helmets and to help improve helmet and motorcycle design."

The study will commence shortly and is expected to run to the end of the year.

Mikkel
30th January 2010, 10:08
Yep, no doubt about that. Earplugs help, but they do not work well against low frequency noise...

If you get tinnitus or other hearing damage in the very low registers there's not a lot that can be done to prevent further damage.

steve_t
30th January 2010, 10:18
Doh. Not good news. Any one on here that have been riding for years and years have tinnitus in spite of earplugs?

Usarka
30th January 2010, 10:25
You will have to speak up.

slofox
30th January 2010, 10:25
I'd have to agree with those dudes. Even using plugz4lugz custom made earplugs, wind noise is still obvious...and loud.

I don't think Arai's side pods on their helmets help either...if I mount my vid cam on the helmet, the sound track is wind noise and wind noise alone...can't even hear the Two Bros can...

Mikkel
30th January 2010, 15:50
I'd have to agree with those dudes. Even using plugz4lugz custom made earplugs, wind noise is still obvious...and loud.

One thing that should be held in mind is that when you are wearing earplugs, which efficiently dampen medium-to-high frequency noise, the low frequency wind noise will sound louder.

Just like sitting in a completely quiet environment wearing earplugs and then just humming softly to yourself - it'll sound louder than it is in the absence of other noise.

CookMySock
30th January 2010, 16:00
I have to be very careful with my hearing, as I mistreated it for some years with loud music - particularly very loud sub-bass. If I ride more than 20 minutes without hearing protection the tinitus returns with a vengence and I hear distant sub-bass all night.

I use in-ear roll-up plugs and I have no problems when used correctly. No tinitus! In fact I have not had a tinitus episode for some months. That puts them in the "good enough for me" category.

Roll up earplugs have to be rolled very tightly, lubricated, and then inserted quite deeply and then held there, or else they just don't work. Sometimes they can be quite tricky to fish them out.

Tinitus is like an unwanted cigarette smoking addiction - once you have it you will wish you didn't, and before long you will wish you didn't A LOT. Don't be an arse with your hearing.

Steve

p.dath
30th January 2010, 16:00
Studies like this have been done before. Check out:
http://www.seabrookaudiology.co.uk/plugs.htm

Bob
31st January 2010, 02:55
Studies like this have been done before. Check out:
http://www.seabrookaudiology.co.uk/plugs.htm

Oddly enough, the same research material I referenced when I tested the Howard Leight Laser Lite earplugs (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/laserlite.htm)

I've been a convert ever since - I will admit if I'm not expecting to be able to up the pace for more than a few minutes, I don't always put them in, but I'm thinking of making them a necessity on every ride. I've got friends who have problems with certain frequencies... and I don't want to add to their ranks.

CookMySock
31st January 2010, 06:11
I've got friends who have problems with certain frequencies... and I don't want to add to their ranks.I can tell you, that its very frustrating not being able to understand your daughter. Dunno if thats an ear thing or a girl thing though.. I thought it was me.. :whistle:

Steve

slofox
31st January 2010, 06:50
I can tell you, that its very frustrating not being able to understand your daughter. Dunno if thats an ear thing or a girl thing though.. I thought it was me.. :whistle:

Steve

Nobody I knew has ever understood their daughter DB...

Motu
31st January 2010, 08:58
Any one on here that have been riding for years and years have tinnitus in spite of earplugs?

Yes,and now I have two hearing aids.But it's my high frequency hearing that is damaged.Tinnitus,wind noise....it's all the same to me.

p.dath
31st January 2010, 09:48
Oddly enough, the same research material I referenced when I tested the Howard Leight Laser Lite earplugs (http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/laserlite.htm)

I've been a convert ever since - I will admit if I'm not expecting to be able to up the pace for more than a few minutes, I don't always put them in, but I'm thinking of making them a necessity on every ride. I've got friends who have problems with certain frequencies... and I don't want to add to their ranks.

After reading that research I now wear ear plugs 90% of the time when riding. Only takes 30s to 60s to put in.

fliplid
1st February 2010, 15:05
Always bung in the ear plugs. Makes a hell of a difference and allows you to concentrate more on what you need to whilst reducing the apparent fatigue.

Toaster
2nd February 2010, 13:17
I have two hearing aids, the left ipod earpiece and the right...........

phred
2nd February 2010, 16:06
Academics at two universities in Bath are studying whether wearing motorcycle helmets can cause hearing damage. Dr Michael Carey and Dr Nigel Holt are studying how much noise is transmitted through the helmet.

Dr Carley said "The noise inside the helmet at the legal speed of 70 mph is higher than the legal limit for noise at work – more than enough to cause serious hearing damage. The issue isn't noisy engines or loud exhausts as you may think. The noise is simply from the airflow over the helmet,” adding that earplugs will not help much with this kind of noise, as it is transferred to the inner ear from the rider’s bones.

Dr Holt added "This isn't about putting people off riding or wearing helmets; it's about finding ways to reduce this damage so that riders can have a better riding experience.
"We hope the research will provide information which can be used in setting standards for helmets and to help improve helmet and motorcycle design."

The study will commence shortly and is expected to run to the end of the year.

What did you say

Elysium
3rd February 2010, 20:59
I use those 3M disposable ear plugs you can buy for 0.70 at any hardware store and they nut most of the noise out. I find my riding experience is more realxed and calmer, without hardly any wind noise at all.