PDA

View Full Version : Timing issues on the DR

w arwick
2nd February 2010, 19:00
hi again, the story continues.
when i pulled the dr down last night , once the timing chain tensioner was removed and the slide , the timing chain came off with ease,
i have a donor engine from a gn 250
( which has the same part no head, the differences from what i can tell are the gn holds 1.3 l oil as opposed to the dr 1.2 l , and the specs i found say the dr puts out 17 hp and the gn a whopping 20 hp, woohoo!) dont know what suzi did to get a increase from the old donk. both engine no's are 1986. any way
i stripped the top off the gn tonight and found the timing chain really hard to get off, i had to persuade it with my hammer twice.
now the tensioner off the gn measures 22.8 mm when extended and the dr is 28.5 mm, soo i checked the number of links on both chains and they are both 56 links,

upon close inspection i can see where the dr tensioner has had weld and grind on its nose ( making it longer ) and the gn one is untouched,
some one has welded a piece on the dr one, why?
would the chain have streched this much ?

wtf is up could it be a donor chain ,
cheers W::confused:

quickbuck
2nd February 2010, 19:59
Heck W,
Now you really have me scratching my head......

Not sure why anybody would do that to the tensioner... except that it may well have been done to cover up a very long and noisy chain....

Where did you find this great example of Suzuki Engineering?

w arwick
2nd February 2010, 20:42
in carterton you can find lots of cheap bikes eh ?!
W

quickbuck
2nd February 2010, 21:22
in carterton you can find lots of cheap bikes eh ?!
W

Well there's cheap, and then there is......
Okay, I guess at least you are learning heaps about it.... That experience is worth more than $$$ alone.

You know, people pay loads to do a tech course to learn the type of stuff you are doing....