PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to buy a decent daytona pocket bike to race

samc
13th February 2010, 12:43
Hi all,
I went over to the edgecumbe kart track and watched the mini moto racing and had a play at lunch time on a friends 40cc daytona and a 50cc.. It was good fun, now im looking to buy a bike for myself
i want something that i can race in the standard class and the mod aircooled.
Looking a spending up to 500ish for a package with spares etc... Can any help or put me onto someone selling a good race bike, not just a trademe special.

My number is 0274998792 if you can help.
cheers sam

{.bLanK}G_o_D
13th February 2010, 17:19
Haha, another victim. :)
Newmanz claim they sell a bike with all the bugs sorted. Be interesting to know how well they assembled.
Have a look here (http://newmanz.co.nz/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=e0c8d51b771b99b15f122a3b24aff2ae)

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 17:30
Hi Sam.

I didn't realise we had a new rider there. Actually we had a brand new fully sorted bike for sale on the day. Not sure if its sill available. Will txt you when I find out.

Steve

samc
13th February 2010, 17:31
yea i had a look at them, im still not sure about them? Anyone had exprience with them?
I want a race ready bike, rather buy second hand just to try racing..

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 17:36
If you are worried about working on it, people at the track are quite helpful. You won't be left on your own by a long shot. Very quickly you will have the hang of it.

Steve

{.bLanK}G_o_D
13th February 2010, 17:56
Welcome to the forums by the way.
At the very least you will still need to learn how to adjust your chain, brakes etc. The guys at the track are friendly and will show you all that.

woodyracer
13th February 2010, 19:18
www.pocketdyno.co.nz brett, he sells the most relialbe bikes aorund, jsut give him an email......he's been building bikes for years, and they never break down

samc
13th February 2010, 20:10
Cheers for the help guys, just give me a txt if anyone comes up with a decent bike and ill get hold of them..

hoping to get a bike before the next edgecumbe race day!!

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 20:32
he's been building bikes for years, and they never break downC'mon maaaaaaaaaan, I don't think so. It's a chink pocket bike. Think about it.

Steve

woodyracer
13th February 2010, 21:05
C'mon maaaaaaaaaan, I don't think so. It's a chink pocket bike. Think about it.

Steve

oh you know lots about pocket bikes aye??, at least i could actualy ride one fast...not like you, you coddley old fart.

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 21:13
oh you know lots about pocket bikes aye??, at least i could actualy ride one fast...not like you, you coddley old fart.Funny! :niceone:

Steve

woodyracer
13th February 2010, 21:40
Funny! :niceone:

Steve

cheers, i try my hardest to make everyones day that extra bit funnier......

CookMySock
13th February 2010, 22:35
cheers, i try my hardest to make everyones day that extra bit funnier......You're already doing that.. bikes that never break done, snort! :niceone:

Steve

dirtybomb
14th February 2010, 14:05
Hi sam, have a look at my thread

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/118506-GRC-RR-Rep-Watercooled-for-sale-350-firm

If you will consider watercooled? Ive allready spent the money on this to get rid of the chinese manurfacturing niggles, and there is very little hours on the motor.

I will even throw in a helmet, jacket and pants for riding.

Oh yeah, its got decent Sava's on it also, which will save you over $200.

PM if interested. Cheers.

woodyracer
14th February 2010, 16:13
yer, dirtybombs bike is a good one, got lots of power on that model, those sava's are a rip off {$200 for minimoto tyres!!,} so if you buy a bike that already has thme then its worth it,

CookMySock
14th February 2010, 18:25
Don't get a watercooled as a first bike at the edgecumbe club. You will get to sit on your arse and watch everyone else race, and when it's your turn the other riders will lap you insanely while you come to grips with the power of the damn thing.

Come over one evening and have a beer with the club members and we will show you whats what.

There is (well there was.. still trying to track down if its here still) a fully sorted daytona here in brand new nick, for half of the money you are talking.

Steve

woodyracer
14th February 2010, 18:56
Don't get a watercooled as a first bike at the edgecumbe club. You will get to sit on your arse and watch everyone else race, and when it's your turn the other riders will lap you insanely while you come to grips with the power of the damn thing.

Come over one evening and have a beer with the club members and we will show you whats what.

There is (well there was.. still trying to track down if its here still) a fully sorted daytona here in brand new nick, for half of the money you are talking.

Steve

well im less you have a modded daytona..u mies while walk around the track...they are that slow......

samc
14th February 2010, 19:24
yea i agree... i want a aircooled just to get into it.. i havnt even raced a mini moto yet.. i see no point in spending alot just in case i dont like it etc. i already have all the gear to ride from racing mx and Dh mountain bikes so i have no cost there. i thought 500bucks would get me a bike and club membership fee easy. futher down the track i may go to a water cooled and buy a good one but who knows

woodyracer
14th February 2010, 19:49
yea i agree... i want a aircooled just to get into it.. i havnt even raced a mini moto yet.. i see no point in spending alot just in case i dont like it etc. i already have all the gear to ride from racing mx and Dh mountain bikes so i have no cost there. i thought 500bucks would get me a bike and club membership fee easy. futher down the track i may go to a water cooled and buy a good one but who knows

trust me mate...i rode minimto's for awhile and the air cooled ones suck....they are slow..unrelialbe and look dumb.... jsut to be blunt...'

BigAl
14th February 2010, 20:09
trust me mate...i rode minimto's for awhile and the air cooled ones suck....they are slow..unrelialbe and look dumb.... jsut to be blunt...'

hmmm, I know a few aircooled chinese bikes that are capable of beating water cooled, Max. Be careful when generalising.

Also Savas or PMTs are not a waste of money as you well know, they are expensive but if you want to be competitive then there is no other option.

woodyracer
14th February 2010, 20:18
hmmm, I know a few aircooled chinese bikes that are capable of beating water cooled, Max. Be careful when generalising.

Also Savas or PMTs are not a waste of money as you well know, they are expensive but if you want to be competitive then there is no other option.

i agree they arnt a waste of moeny...you realy do need them but, they are over priced,

CookMySock
14th February 2010, 20:18
Come over and meet the club members mate. We'll set you up. PM me when you're ready.

Steve

imdying
15th February 2010, 10:34
Definitely need an air cooled, even when you move to a water cooled bike... you can disrespect the throttle something chronic, and can bash into/elbow/lean on/push your way past other (friends) bikes in a way that would see you arse off on a water cooled bike.

888mike
15th February 2010, 11:27
Hey Sam Mike here from Eastern bay pocket bike club, I do have a brand new bike ready to race I just finished setting up for another rider but she decided to go trail riding instead, she want's 250.00 so give us a call I left my mobile number on your phone. Cheers Mike

888mike
15th February 2010, 11:31
Hey guys just a note to those of you out there with negative attitudes to our sport come to our track and put your attitudes to good use then you won't put people off b4 they get a chance to try. Cheers Mike

{.bLanK}G_o_D
15th February 2010, 12:37
you can disrespect the throttle something chronic, and can bash into/elbow/lean on/push your way past other (friends) bikes in a way that would see you arse off on a water cooled bike.

+1
The H2O bikes are fast and fun and all that, but imdying has hit the nail on the head there.

{.bLanK}G_o_D
15th February 2010, 13:41

-1 Total bullshit.
Both my H2O cooled B1 reps have given me more trouble than all the aircooled bikes put together.
True the chinese ones are made from cheap materials, but for less than $100 you can replace all the bearings with quality ones, new high quality DID chain, NGK spark plug. Spend some time adjusting the brakes, cables. Fix electrical connections.
There after it is only as reliable as the person maintaining it. And it aint rocket science.
I reckon they look awesome. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.
You rollin a blunt?

CookMySock
15th February 2010, 15:22
those of you out there with negative attitudes to our sport come to our track and put your attitudes to good use...Nah bro, we don't need people like that at our events. We run a good shop and we have a good time - negative people NOT welcome.

@samc, talk to Mike888. He'll get you sorted.

Steve

woodyracer
15th February 2010, 15:32
Definitely need an air cooled, even when you move to a water cooled bike... you can disrespect the throttle something chronic, and can bash into/elbow/lean on/push your way past other (friends) bikes in a way that would see you arse off on a water cooled bike.

.....they artn that fast.......

imdying
15th February 2010, 15:57
.....they artn that fast.......Well, without wanting to state the obvious too much, that's the whole point... you can mistreat them and race them in a way that would only lead to carnage on the water cooled bikes. When the water cooled bikes go down, they generally go down and you tuck and roll... when the air cooled bikes go down, you ride it on your knee slider screaming "I CAN SAVE IT!!!!!" (even if in reality you can't, although I have seen some epic saves).

Another advantage is that they're car park friendly, assuming you can find a friendly car park owner, and there's a few of those around.

They're complimentary to each other; the air cooled bikes are nothing but fun distilled into a cheap Chinese chassis and motor, the water cooled bikes are a little more serious.

They (air cooled bikes) are also pretty reliable. Nothing much to break down, they're like a lawn mower in that respect. Of course that said, you need to work the bugs out (GoD has given a pretty good list above).

dirtybomb
15th February 2010, 17:40
I'm definatly not an expert but, Ive had both. The Daytona wont scare you, the watercooled will. I'm not in anyway trying to be negative, as the Daytonas do have a fun factor. But a watercooled has an actual power band, that you can accelerate out of corners with. The Daytona, you WAIT to accelerate, after bogging down.

You will just get sick of the aircooled, spend heaps of time and money making it faster, Then move to a watercooled. Who cares if you are at the bottom of the pack racing the other water cooled bikes. Think about the buzz from nearly double the power of the Daytona.

Either way, what ever bike you get. Replace the tyres with decent quality ones, its crazy how sticky they are after the Chinese ones.

Thats my opinion from experience anyway. Peace.

CookMySock
15th February 2010, 18:33
Who cares if you are at the bottom of the pack racing the other water cooled bikes.We don't race daytonas against any watercooled bikes at edgecumbe.

We have five classes of machinery ;

Standard Daytona - everything factory.
Modified Daytona - anything goes but must still be the same base engine.
14mm carb - basically a standard watercooled.
17mm carb - watercooled with fat carb.
Open - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanything goes.

Then we class riders as well, as per age, and then theres ladies classes. We currently aren't racing the 17mm class, as no has one.

Steve