PDA

View Full Version : VT250 and VTR250 mounting

zampaq
15th February 2010, 15:16
Does anyone know if a VTR250 engine will bolt straight into a VT250 frame

hmmmnz
15th February 2010, 16:08
yep they are the same block, some of the covers are different, but all the mount holes are in the same place,
the later model vtr doesnt use the front mount like the other vt and vtz models

zampaq
16th February 2010, 12:50
Thanks for that, any idea if I can run my VT carb

hmmmnz
16th February 2010, 18:10
yep everything about the engines is exactly the same, the only difference is side cases are a different shape, thats it,

zampaq
17th February 2010, 17:29
Thanks for your help mate. I spoke to a wrecker on the phone the other day and he was telling me how one of his mechanics had put a VTR in a Spada which I assume is just a VT and he reckons they had electrics problems. Any idea what he is talking about. The engine is self contained, if it comes with all the points and ignition, thats all part of the engine, I cant see how the electrics could be a problem. Any thoughts on that.

quickbuck
17th February 2010, 17:56
Thanks for your help mate. I spoke to a wrecker on the phone the other day and he was telling me how one of his mechanics had put a VTR in a Spada which I assume is just a VT and he reckons they had electrics problems. Any idea what he is talking about. The engine is self contained, if it comes with all the points and ignition, thats all part of the engine, I cant see how the electrics could be a problem. Any thoughts on that.

Points????
Na, man they are CDI, or the latest version of what that is called now....

There may have been an issue with getting the charging circuit (generator) connected up. This will be a lead that comes out of the left hand side cover of the motor.
The plugs could be different....
Not totally sure without the two bikes side by side.
Thing is, there shouldn't be too much of an issue swapping them over either....

FROSTY
18th February 2010, 14:10
Its a bit more complicated that a straight swapout I'm sorry. The woires for the charge coils are different--sorry dont remember specific colours/plugs etc and the ignition wires are different.I think they also use a different CDI -how that last bit effects matters Im not sure.
I think the last swapout I was invloved it was a spada engine into a VTZ250 and we just swapped the electrics over one to the other

zampaq
21st February 2010, 10:05
Thanks guys. Theres a guy on Trade me has a '91 xelvis. Any idea if that would be a trouble free swap into the '86 VT?