PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable help TDM 850

elle-f
21st February 2010, 15:10
Hi there all,

My bloody clutch cable snapped dammit. Do I have to remove the whole thing to change it or can I just change the top part that is connected through a wire thingy?

Any advice or help would be most appreciated as I really have no idea!

Is it best to try to do it myself or take it to a shop?

tri boy
21st February 2010, 16:23
Take it to a shop if your not sure. Badly set up clutch cables, (routed the wrong way, or having no free play) can cost further down the road.
Get a new genuine one, (probably about $60), and let the shop fit it.
Checking for worn lever parts etc at the same time. MHO

RDjase
21st February 2010, 17:14
Take it to a shop if your not sure. Badly set up clutch cables, (routed the wrong way, or having no free play) can cost further down the road.
Get a new genuine one, (probably about $60), and let the shop fit it.
Checking for worn lever parts etc at the same time. MHO

+1
If you are unsure of what you are doing cables can cause all sorts of trouble if routed the wrong way, throtle cables can cause the engine to rev on full lock if they are in the wrong place. It wont cost alot for a new cable fitted at a bike shop
I got a cable made for my bike as no genuine cables were available in nz at the time and it hasnt got the plastic lining on the inner cable, feels horrible if not lubed regualy and gets tight and sticky

elle-f
22nd February 2010, 18:54
Thanks Guys - much appreciated. It's what I was going to do anyhow. Just need to sort myself out although the weather has prompted me into getting my butt into gear tomorrow! Have a great week :)