PDA

View Full Version : Hyosung GT250 (Comet) Engine Limiting

Exodus
23rd February 2010, 11:57
Hi All,

I took my bike from Wellington to Paeroa over the weekend. It was a 4 day round trip and the bike performed impeccably (aside for that noted below); SH43 and the road over to the Coromandel were highlights.

Any way during the trip the engine cut out 3 times. They were always when I was traveling over 120km/h and the engine was up over 8,000rpm. The bike sits around 7,500rpm when I'm cruising at 105km/h to 110km/h.

Why would the engine cut out? It was a little unnerving as it was generally during overtaking that I was hitting that speed. Are the Hyo's limited to a certain number of revs??

All help/comments gratefully received. B

BiK3RChiK
23rd February 2010, 12:13
I had the same sort of issue with my bike. There is a fuel tank mod that you can do because the fuel tank sucks down. Not sure if this is your problem or it could be a faulty side stand switch. The only other thing I can think of is the CDI unit may be faulty.

I hope you get it sorted. I know what you mean about un-nerving. I went to New Plymouth from Whakatane and 3 times my bike cut out on the way down. Twice in the dark! Each time it started again almost immediately. But for me ( a chick on the side of the road in the dark ) I was a bit freaked out! I haven't had it happen for me on my 650, but then, I've only been riding it for about 3 weeks.

CookMySock
23rd February 2010, 12:23
http://www.alternativecruisers.com/index.php?cat=50

Search for the word "vent" on this page. It's not a tricky mod, but you need to watch what you are doing, and work in an area where you don't loose small parts when they fall out and roll away.

HTH,
Steve

Exodus
23rd February 2010, 12:47
Sweet - thanks guys. I'll give this a try during the week. I'm pretty sure I know how to replicate the problem, so it should be a quick test.

Obviously the previous owner hadn't pushed the bike this hard :)