PDA

View Full Version : 1999 cr125

Nouseforaname
1st March 2010, 12:54
hey guys,

just picked myself up a 99 cr125 and just wanting some advice about a top end rebuild. The previous owner reckons it has about 20hours on it but that could really mean 80+ hours. I just flushed the tank and cleaned the carbs, and returned it all back to stock settings.

Im wanting to do a top end rebuild but with my lack of knowledge/skills/tools i was just gona send it into the shop to get done until im more confident to give it a crack myself.

I know it's hard without seeing the bike, but anything else you think i should get done while it's in there?

Cheers

F5 Dave
1st March 2010, 16:46
Alcohol.

That will make you more confident. read a bunch of stuff on the net about rebuilding 2 strokes, heavens even try find a manual of something close & then rip into it. As long as you don't do anything too stupid like forget to put in coolant then you should be fine. Take time to work out the powervalve arrangement & take parts to the shop to be inspected if any question (for a cost no doubt). Gettign them to do the whole shooting match will be expensive. If you have to take the bike apart as much as possible.

Wash the frame etc above the motor so dirt doesn't drop in. Nice idea to measure compression on a guage before & after the rebuild to give you an idea for the future. Measure the ring gap of a free ring in the bore & compare with std & wear limits. Spec should be easy to find for comparable bikes.

Repack the muffler.

Nouseforaname
1st March 2010, 17:25
awesome, thanks for the reply.

Ive found the honda service manual but it was scanned in so the quality of the pics arnt that good.

I wanna do as much as possible, just dont want to bugger it up this soon into my ownership :-)

Just to clarify... the booze goes down my throat and not the bikes right? :yes: