PDA

View Full Version : Driver who left biker paralysed given suspended sentence

Bob
6th March 2010, 01:34
With leniency like this, what chance do we have?

"A car driver whose lack of attention has left a motorcyclist paralysed and needing lifelong care has been let off with a suspended sentence… of just 30 weeks.

Andrew Jones, 21, of Llanberis drifted across the road while adjusting his car radio and hit Andrew Peat, 35. Jones apologized to Mr Peat in court for the “dreadful” injuries and pleaded guilty to dangerous driving.

In addition to the suspended sentence, Judge Merfyn Hughes QC banned Jones from driving for 30 months, decreed he (Jones) must take an extended test before being allowed to drive again, along with being subject to a 7am-7pm curfew for four months and having to complete 300 hours community service. Summing up, Judge Hughes said the offence crossed the custody threshold but he was going to suspend the sentence for the momentary dangerous driving. "

That a judge could award a sentence like this, at the very time the UK government is launching another safety campaign to try to make drivers more aware of motorcyclists beggars belief. I bet if a biker had paralysed a pedestrian becuase they were adjusting a mirror or something, the punishment would have been way more than a suspended sentence and community service.

oldrider
6th March 2010, 05:45
They must have been studying our New Zealand judges performance!

BMWST?
6th March 2010, 14:06
not much better than the sentence handed out to the drunk lady who killed a cyclist.

Thaeos
6th March 2010, 14:15
Pathetic..

Bikemad
6th March 2010, 17:35
hey at least we can say judges are consistently shite the world over it would appear

sleemanj
6th March 2010, 17:39
Mmmm, I dunno. Sure, if I was the one hit, I might have a different opinion, but objectively it sounds to me like this was a simple moment of inattention, at just the wrong time, the culprit sounds like he clearly accepts that this was his fault and is remorseful.

What would a tougher sentence actually achieve?

Deterrence? No I don't think so, people don't need to be deterred from momentary inattention, everybody is momentarily inattentive once in a while, everybody makes a mistake, most times nothing bad happens and we just give ourselves a fright.

Prevention of public danger? I doubt it, I suspect that the chances are the convicted is probably going to be the most super careful driver if they get behind the wheel again, especially after re-training etc. I doubt that a custodial sentence would improve that.

Retribution? Maybe, but that's not what the justice system is about in "civilized" society.

And if they were given a custodial sentence, prison time, you're just sticking a guy who might (I don't know, assuming here) be an otherwise perfectly all right law abiding guy in with a bunch of low life criminals. That can't be good.

sosman
6th March 2010, 20:43
The judge should ask the driver!....Now Do want to be paralysed and needing lifelong care... Or a jail sentence!

breakaway
7th March 2010, 08:27
In a country where all you get for murder is a couple of years in the slam, what did you expect?

Toaster
7th March 2010, 09:19
So where is the REPARATION ?????????????????????

sleemanj
7th March 2010, 09:31
I expect reparation is a civil matter, not sure if the UK still have a right to sue for accidents (we don't of course) but if they do then the victim would sue the driver at this point I think

scumdog
7th March 2010, 09:40
Mmmm, I dunno. Sure, if I was the one hit, I might have a different opinion, but objectively it sounds to me like this was a SIMPLE MOMENT OF INATTENTION, at just the wrong time, the culprit sounds like he clearly accepts that this was his fault and is remorseful.

What would a tougher sentence actually achieve?

FFS, he was meant to be driving a car, not playing wannabe DJ! - he can take what is coming to him.

Drongos like that don't know/think that while they are doing that all-important radio adjustment for a second that the one second becomes two becomes three etc - during which time the vehicle has covered up to 100 metres plus without any conscious effort on his part to keep it under control.

The road ain't a path at a mall where you can inintentionally bump into somebody as you walk past them and say 'sorry'.

duckonin
7th March 2010, 10:02
Scumdog I love the way you reply to stupid comments, it all makes sence..Radios cellphones GPS smoking even scratching your balls, yes it has all been said before, 'your meant to be driving a vehicle' he deserves more than what he got, the motocyclist has to live with his injuries for the rest of his natural.....OPPS sorry !! be fucked...

oldrider
7th March 2010, 22:31
It's as if the injured guy should be punished for riding a "motorcycle", he brought it on himself!