PDA

View Full Version : Counter shaft wear

dino3310
6th March 2010, 17:02
What makes the counter shaft splines wear out premiturely?
would like to here some theories.

would a say ADV bike with no cush drive wear the shaft out quicker on the road or off?

kwaka_crasher
6th March 2010, 18:11
Do you mean transmission shaft or engine balancer? I'd guess transmission so inferior materials or lack of lubrication really. Obviously abuse would accelerate wear.

If you're talking engine balance shaft the cush drive has noting to do with it because it's not part of the drivetrain but any shock load from the absence of a cush drive would be transmitted through the transmission shafts and gears to the crank before making it's way to the engine balancer.

What bike are you talking about?

dino3310
6th March 2010, 19:22
Transmission drive counter shaft, the one the front sprocketts on.
XR600
i always thought it was from bad chain adjustments, miss use and aftermarket sprocketts having a harder metal there for wearing the shaft premiturely.

some one mentioned it was likely my bike would wear out more on the road than off with no cush drive which didnt sound right to me considering all the forces thats placed on the drive chain off road.

by off road i mean off the black stuff.

kwaka_crasher
7th March 2010, 01:11
Transmission drive counter shaft, the one the front sprocketts on.
XR600
i always thought it was from bad chain adjustments, miss use and aftermarket sprocketts having a harder metal there for wearing the shaft premiturely.

some one mentioned it was likely my bike would wear out more on the road than off with no cush drive which didnt sound right to me considering all the forces thats placed on the drive chain off road.

by off road i mean off the black stuff.

So you mean the sprocket spline not the drive dog splines in the box?

The shaft is case hardened, steel sprockets are not (except for the roller chain contact face).

It's very unusual to see any appreciable wear on the output shaft spline. It sounds like there's been lube and grit forming a grinding paste but that would wear the sprocket splines faster so it'd have to be an ongoing oversight.

What makes you say the splines are worn?

CookMySock
7th March 2010, 07:09
Sprocket loose?

Steve

dino3310
7th March 2010, 08:36
What makes you say the splines are worn?
when the sprockett started to ride of was a good sign

best my cam can do

scumdog
7th March 2010, 08:40
when the sprockett started to ride of was a good sign

best my cam can do

Woa! that's BAD!

And the spline ain't too good niether.!

kwaka_crasher
7th March 2010, 11:04
Yep. That's pretty bad. No real quick & easy solution for that!

Bugger.

Motu
7th March 2010, 11:09
It's because of the Honda location method - just basically a circlip,and the sprocket rattles around wearing out the shaft...and the sprocket.

dino3310
7th March 2010, 11:37
Yep. That's pretty bad. No real quick & easy solution for that!

Bugger.

new shaft going in as we type

dino3310
7th March 2010, 11:43
It's because of the Honda location method - just basically a circlip,and the sprocket rattles around wearing out the shaft...and the sprocket.

yep, i guess worn sprockets and retainers, bad chain adjustments would speed it up too.. i suppose its gonna wear eventually so previous bad maintenence would have speed the process up as well

dino3310
7th March 2010, 11:46
What about this, no cush drive will wear the shaft out quicker on the road than off theory

kwaka_crasher
7th March 2010, 12:01
What about this, no cush drive will wear the shaft out quicker on the road than off theory

If anything it would be the opposite as the load changes direction much more frequently off-road.

kwaka_crasher
7th March 2010, 12:01

If anything it would be the opposite as the load changes direction much more frequently off-road.

Warr
8th March 2010, 11:33
My high k's Hornet 919 (~200k's) has considerable Countershaft wear.
Honda once again dont use a tapered spline just a straight cut held in place by large washer & bolt.
As sprocket is always working the spline between acceleration and overrun, so in this case there is some impressive wear.
Will post a pic later when I pull it off, but I estimate there is ~1mm of spline left.
Contributing to this wear (other than the k's).
Bike fitted with a scott oiler, so chain has been looked after and lasted a long time, close to 100k ! But this has resulted in less attention and lubrication ** to front sprocket spline.

Net result is likely an engine split and shaft replacement :(

** what lubricant is appropriate here ?