PDA

View Full Version : Coroner calls future of Irish road racing into question

Bob
12th March 2010, 01:15
The future of road racing in Northern Ireland has been called into question, in a letter to the Department of Culture Arts and Leisure, by the Province’s most senior coroner.

Coroner John Leckey has questioned if road racing is still ‘acceptable’, given the speed of modern bikes and the difficulty of ensuring the safety of spectators. His letter states “It should not be forgotten that whilst many racing teams and their riders are professional with large budgets, the organisers are amateurs, albeit keen enthusiasts. My principal concern, however is how spectator safety can be ensured when spectators are allowed to be positioned so close to the racing.”

A DCAL spokesman said “The department recognises that roadracing is part of the sporting and cultural fabric of Northern Ireland. There is an expectation that event promoters and the governing bodies will take their responsibilities seriously to ensure events are as safe as possible for both spectators and competitors.”

Road racing in Northern Ireland has a long and proud history and events such as the Northwest 200 attract hundreds of thousands of visitors and generate millions of pounds in tourist income to the Province.

hayd3n
12th March 2010, 05:23
if they want to go watch motorcycle racing at its finest
let them
sign a waiver that you hold no responsibility to the organizers of any injury that happens in the course time

crazyhorse
12th March 2010, 05:35
Everybody knows the risk of road racing, and it would be a shame one person could stop what has happened for almost for ever

HDTboy
12th March 2010, 08:16
10 characters

hmmmnz
15th March 2010, 23:14
it would be a shame to see the nw200 go, i went 3 or 4 times and its good money earner for the area, and no where as dangerous as the iom tt,

SPman
16th March 2010, 15:19
All part of wrapping people in cotton wool and denying death and injury play any part in modern life!

CookMySock
16th March 2010, 16:14
"how spectator safety can be ensured when spectators are allowed to be positioned so close to the racing.”It can't. Thats why they call it "road racing" and not "road vicarage tea party".

There is an expectation that event promoters and the governing bodies will take their responsibilities seriously to ensure events are as safe as possible for both spectators and competitors.”Who expects this? How do they know that? Was there a survey?

Another govt employee with a bee in his bonnet about saving the earth.

Motorsport is dangerous. People like it that way.

Steve

sidecar bob
16th March 2010, 17:23
Going through an old photo album with my future father in law on the weekend (an old sidecar racer from way back) the street circiuts in NZ the 70's had small children fronted up to the track in folding chairs & rows of adults behind them, with not even a strip of plastic tape between them & the sidecars.
Looked like it was from another planet.

oldguy
16th March 2010, 17:33
Paeroa, Whanganui, only a bit of wire netting between spectators and a bike doing 200+ Ks

Quasievil
16th March 2010, 17:46
My View

For racers Its always cool and fun until someone you care about gets killed, then its, at least they died doing what they loved.....that comment always seems weird to me, but if the event cant be run with a acceptable safety standard to minimise rider danger, close it down.....ie Paeroa rider hits forklift WTF!

For spectators, minimising risk to an acceptable level is all you can do and if you cant do it to a standard to eliminate 99.999% of risk to spectators then shut the event down.

The day you dont address Risk for riders and spectators is the day complacency takes hold and your asking for it, the coroner is absolutely correct in holding this attitude, the obvious outcome is an increase in safety standards for all involved, good on him I say

Bob
18th March 2010, 01:33
New safety measures announced for Irish Road Racing

The Motorcycle Union of Ireland has reacted quickly to the concerns raised by Northern Ireland’s Senior Coroner.

The new rules will prohibit marshals, photographers and other personnel from being on the course during races. All marshals will be subject to training and have to attend seminars. In addition, there will be more run-off and increased designated spectator areas.