PDA

View Full Version : Bike not downshifting

Sentox
16th March 2010, 11:54
Had an odd problem pop up a couple of times today: the bike wouldn't shift down gears. The shifter moves down, but feels soft; no resistance, and no positive click. Generally letting the clutch back out would get things going again, but at one point, when I had the bike in neutral, it absolutely refused to engage 1st. Had to take off in 2nd in the end. Thoughts?

blackdog
16th March 2010, 12:29
on the hyo? straight back to the dealers mate, thats what w'tees are for

yachtie10
16th March 2010, 13:00
do you mean multiple down shifts at the same time (without releasing the clutch)
if so I would think that happens sometimes and is not a big issue
otherwise as above

Sentox
16th March 2010, 13:57
do you mean multiple down shifts at the same time (without releasing the clutch)
if so I would think that happens sometimes and is not a big issue
otherwise as above

No, I match downshifts and release the clutch between each one. But yeah, time to go look up the local dealer.

CookMySock
16th March 2010, 14:09
Try a thinner or a better quality engine oil in it, or check its not over-filled. The hyo gearboxes can be more than just a little tight when new.

Steve

AllanB
16th March 2010, 14:19
I could be nothing more than a sloppy shift by the rider ...... it sounds like you found a false neutral between gears, usually the result of slack shifting by the rider. And if it is a new box it may take a bit to run in before it becomes sweet. I've always found that magically at around 5,000 kms a new gearbox becomes just that bit sweeter.

If in doubt pop in and see your dealer and make it their problem.