PDA

View Full Version : Wooton Bassett tribute run: huge success as 10,000 bikes attend

Bob
18th March 2010, 01:35
The ride-out to Wooton Bassett (the village in the UK that is where the airfield where troops who die in battle are brought home) was a huge success as 10,000 bikers – accompanied by a further 5,000 pillions - rode through the village.

Each rider paid at least £5 to take part, with the proceeds going to the charity Afghan Heroes.

The bikers left in batches from Hullavington Airfield in Wiltshire to ride to the village, with huge crowds gathering along Wooton Bassett’s High Street as they passed the war memorial.

MP James Gray said that people in the town appreciated the gesture and were "very supportive of it indeed".

Afghan Heroes founder Denise Harris said front line troops had sent emails supporting the event, adding "It boosts morale for them. They are just so grateful to the general public for their support and their kindness."

The Bike Run was the idea of 18-year-old biker Elizabeth Stevens. She originally intended to make the run with a few friends from her local bike club. She decided to make a page on Facebook... and it took off from there. The charity is expected to benefit “in excess of £100,000” from the ride.

caseye
27th March 2010, 12:33
Thats bloody fantastic one lone young lady has an idea and this is the result. I sinceely hope she one day gets to see some of the front line guys she helped support and to know from the families of those who have returned through Wooton Bassett that her thoughts for their loved ones. are returned .

SDU
29th March 2010, 15:08
That's bloody awesome! good on them:yes:

whowhatwhere
30th March 2010, 00:26
I went on this ride - fantastic day, never seen so many bikes in my life. Found some stonking roads on the way there - ragged the living hell out of the little CB. Long four hour wait on the airfield but there were plenty of bikes to look at. Ride through Wootton Bassett was great - high fiving all of the little kids on the way past was a great buzz :)

Lined up after just getting there:

Bikes and bikers as far as the eye can see

Couple of aerial shots :shit:

Mike

caseye
30th March 2010, 14:07
I went on this ride - fantastic day, never seen so many bikes in my life. Found some stonking roads on the way there - ragged the living hell out of the little CB. Long four hour wait on the airfield but there were plenty of bikes to look at. Ride through Wootton Bassett was great - high fiving all of the little kids on the way past was a great buzz :)

Lined up after just getting there:

Bikes and bikers as far as the eye can see

Couple of aerial shots :shit:

Mike

Cheers for the Pics mate,that is bloody awesome.