PDA

View Full Version : GT650R coolant pump - easy fix

CookMySock
23rd March 2010, 20:13
One of our GT650Rs with 60,000kms ish on it developed a coolant drip so off come the fairings, and its coming from under the water (coolant) pump. Uh oh.

Drain cooling system, remove clamps/hoses, unbolt and remove pump cover, remove bolt from impeller, carrrrefully lever the impeller off the shaft, pull pump off shaft.

Yep, the internal coolant seal is poked and the O rings have gone flat.

Replace O rings and seal from the spares box, and clean everything up.

Slide the shaft into the pump as best you can (you cant get your fingers around the back of the shaft - it's inside the engine) and temporarily put the impeller nut on and pull the shaft through the housing. Slide the pump base onto the engine, remove the impeller nut, fit the impeller and finger-tighten the nut.

Carefully reassemble everything making sure not to wedge anything - these alloy parts are tiny and they snap off like a carrot if you stress them.

Hoses back on and double-checked. Coolant refill, start, warmup, top-off an recheck. Success!

Cost = $0, but I had some spare seals from a broken pump.

Don't be afraid of it - it's an easy fix. Be careful though.

Steve

vifferman
23rd March 2010, 20:34
You're lucky.
Most bike waterpumps are throw-away jobs when the weep hole starts crying green tears. "Waaaaahh! I'm fookt!!!", it says.

CookMySock
23rd March 2010, 20:43
Yeah, they not cheap either! US$162, and thats pricey for a hyo part!

I'll be keeping an eye on this though. It's probably false economy jiggering around with something that can so easily fuck the engine.

Steve