PDA

View Full Version : 250 Bandit misfire?

smurf
27th March 2010, 17:27
my 250 bandit has a bottom rev range miss but once its up around 8000rpm its fine. i have drained and cleaned the carbs but still no joy...HELP>........is it electrical?

CookMySock
27th March 2010, 17:32
.is it electrical?There isn't really a straight answer to that question. Can you tell us when the spark-plugs were last changed, how many kms on the bike, and whatever other background you can include. Also has it started doing it suddenly?

Steve

smurf
28th March 2010, 15:06
i have had the bike a year, brought it from tss in the hutt. its done 24k. i have only done around 2500k on it since i had it,just went to ride it one day it sounded really rough but tried it anyway, i got about 2ks down the road and it was bogging down like it was missing the whole way then it died. I have pulled all the jets slides and needles and cleaned them all but the problem is still there. it had a full service when i brought it aparenty lol. now it idles ok still bit rough, and it got no power at all till the revs work their way up to around 8 or 9k. could it be leeds plugs and coils? or still the carbs? if your ocal I can bring it to you to look at?

GOONR
28th March 2010, 16:05
Does this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/111708-1996-bandit-250-bogs-down) sound like the same issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

smurf
28th March 2010, 16:20
yea sounds like the same probem but the thread gives no real answers to the problem just guessing really. i not the richest person in the world and cant afford to keep putting it in and out of bike shops lol,

The Everlasting
28th March 2010, 16:24
Can you live with it?

Mine has a few problems as well,and the mechanic said it's not worth it too get it fixed/looked at,as it would cost hundreds of dollars,if not thousands.

smurf
28th March 2010, 16:26
did he say what it was or was he just hoping for you to open up your wallet lol

Teflon
28th March 2010, 16:34
have you checked your battery? could be fucked..

smurf
28th March 2010, 16:38
yea its a new batt as my regulator rectifier crapped out a few months ago, i have had nothing but problems since i brought the thing, i just want to get it going good enough to get wof on it so I can trade it in ol

porky
28th March 2010, 19:11
Dont know this bike but if you find out when the main jet kicks in you may have narrowed your problem. If you blip the throttle (the accelerator pump squirts juice into the carb) does the power come back momentarily?
Next suggestion is run it high rpm.(but dont red line it) Hit the kill switch. Pull the plugs. Check the electrode. Do the same at low revs clean the plugs before each run. What do the plugs show? I know you have said that the carby has been cleaned but..... Hope this may be of help.

smurf
29th March 2010, 12:15
what should the plugs show? i will try do it tonight when i get home. do you stil think its a carb problem?

GOONR
29th March 2010, 12:27
.... do you stil think its a carb problem?

yup, these bikes are known for it. Emulsifiers can go from a nice round shape to oval.. That's what has happened to mine, they are still buggered but the mechanic has tunned it in such a way that it's not so much of a problem any more.

smurf
29th March 2010, 12:38
do you reckon dropping the needle down to its last notch will make it ridable?loose much power?really frustrating having to give it death every where.

GOONR
29th March 2010, 12:43
do you reckon dropping the needle down to its last notch will make it ridable?loose much power?really frustrating having to give it death every where.

That's what was done to mine, worked for a bit but was still nowhere near how it should have been. In the end I handed it over to a mechanic and he sorted it.

smurf
29th March 2010, 13:54
well by the sounds of things i have to strip my carbs down again and see if the emulsion tubes or some of them have been ovalled and not round anymore cause thats what everyone seems to be pointing at so i wil do it this afternoon and see what i uncover.

smurf
30th March 2010, 08:30
well from the naked eye my emulsion tubes looked ok, but how good is my eye looking at those fukn small holes lol. I dropped the needles down to the last notch and test rode. came home and wanted to set the fukn bike on fire lol. still same problem. If i hold the throttle constant then back off just slightly you can hear the exaust note sound like its struggling like a miss sound. I took the plugs out before i test rode it 3 were black but dry and one was clean? I havnt taken them out since the last ride to see what they are like now though.

CookMySock
30th March 2010, 10:32
I took the plugs out before i test rode it 3 were black but dry and one was clean? Oop! Thats a big clue!

Try opening the drain valve for that carb and see if you get a solid flow for more than 30sec. You might have to do this with the engine at a high idle. Be careful! Keep a fire bucket handy.

Take a look around the carb for that cylinder. Check for loose or damaged carb boot, or blocked jets.

Steve

smurf
30th March 2010, 10:45
what does this mean? once the bike is above the bad revs its fine but stil the missing noise when you back off or are cruising at 50 kms.
Did you man the carb that had the clean plug?

smurf
31st March 2010, 13:02
I took the drain screw out and had it reving at around 6 to 7 grand and petrol was def comming out of the hole. the exhaust note never changed a bit though, was it ment to? i would of thought it would of run alot rougher because of the fuel that i was draining out.

quickbuck
31st March 2010, 17:39
what does this mean? once the bike is above the bad revs its fine
No, it is NOT fine.
The problem (of it running on 3 cylinders) is being masked by the fact there is enough power at higher RPM to allow the engine to perform a little.
When running on 4, you will not want to set fire to the bike!

Did you man the carb that had the clean plug?
The 3 dirty plugs are either stuffed, or the plug leads have a leak, or the mixture is too rich....
OR, most likely, the Main jet tubes on those are oval (or needles notched).

Jonno.
31st March 2010, 23:28
Can you live with it?

Mine has a few problems as well,and the mechanic said it's not worth it too get it fixed/looked at,as it would cost hundreds of dollars,if not thousands.
Did he tell you what's wrong with it.

smurf
2nd April 2010, 18:23
well i managed to ride my bandit down to get a wof and go see a mate so its deff semi rideable now. i also checked the leads for leaks and they were all ok. will it cause more damage riding it the way it is.

CookMySock
2nd April 2010, 18:29
If it runs fine at revs but misses badly when idling, then pull your carbs off and check the rubber boots that holds them onto the engine. This happened to me, and when I pulled the boot off, it completely fell to bits.

Steve

Jonno.
2nd April 2010, 23:37
well i managed to ride my bandit down to get a wof and go see a mate so its deff semi rideable now. i also checked the leads for leaks and they were all ok. will it cause more damage riding it the way it is.

Dude, reguardless of whether it's ridable you're better off to get it fixed now. More fun, less headaches and you'll be able to get a decent price if you sell it.

R1madness
4th April 2010, 09:18
The problem is worn out emulsion tubes and needles. You probibly wont be able to see how oval they are with the naced eye but use a magnifying glass and it will bew clear as... We replace them in bandits all the time. Send me your carbs and i will return them repaired and then the bike will be running sweetly. Takes about a week to get the parts in and yes about $400 sounds right. Its the only fix for them but once its done they are fine. try your local suzuki dealer. if its too hard for them give sportzone suzuki here in chch a call. thats who we get the parts from. They will need your frame number, its on the steering head.
You should also replace the mainjet holder orings as they will leak once you disturbe them and the problem will still apear to be there. They are a funny shaped rubber gasket more than an oring.... oh and replace the needle and seat orings as well, they are prone to leak too causing flooding overnight and poor starting...