PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting new pocket bike. Help!

Foobin
29th March 2010, 21:53
Hello,

Im having a lot of trouble deciding what pocket bike to get, after me my mates $230 trademe ones fell apart after 3 days :yes: (it was helps of fun while it lasted though)

Now, we want something that is reliable over something screaming fast. And it seems a lot of these chinese bikes, regardless if we pay $300 or $800, all have their issues. Neither of us are mechanically minded, if it keeps on going, it will still keep us happy.

So, right now there is a trademe seller selling Blata 2.5 for $950, is this a good bike to go for?
I know 2.5HP may not be much, but we won't use them for competition, and just wana have fun. Plus meet with a guy saying he can upgrade them to 4-5HP.

The other option is to get a water cooled Zpf, gp3, D1 etc (few sites in auckland have these) but these are still chinese made and aparently still require lots of maintaince. Is this true/false?

There is another bike im looking at, a MT-A4 water cooled one thats being sold by newmanz, is this any good stock? (does it require much or any maintainence?)

Ideas & thoughts regarding which is the best deal or bike to go for please.

Appretiate any help!

Thanks for your time :yes:

P.s if you are in chch and know who is out racing these in groups/clubs we would like to know who you are. Thanks!

CookMySock
30th March 2010, 07:39
Now, we want something that is reliable over something screaming fast. And it seems a lot of these chinese bikes, regardless if we pay $300 or $800, all have their issues. Neither of us are mechanically minded, if it keeps on going, it will still keep us happy.The chinese pocket bikes are never going to be reliable.

Best bet, is you meet up with a group down your way who can work together and learn about them. They are really basic (just a chainsaw engine) but some of the problems can be a little non-obvious.

Yes, a genuine Blata will have a lot less issues than a chink copy, but its your $1000 so you have to decide. If you are not going to thrash them hard on the track or repeatedly crash them then it's unlikely that there will be much work to do on them, and then it is just a matter of learning how to set them up so they are reliable, and learning all the do's and don'ts.

Don't give up. They are really rewarding to muck around with, and you will get to grips with them pretty quick. They are also great training for the road. There were a few interested people in your area, so with any luck they will comment in your thread.

edit: don't for goodness sake go out and buy some top-end watercooled kickarse race bikes. They are even more difficult to work on, they are lots LESS fun, and you will have no one to race them against.

Steve

imdying
30th March 2010, 09:01
What do you mean by fell apart?

Foobin
30th March 2010, 09:34
Well me and 3 friends all got 1 each. Here is what happened to 3 of them.

1. Exhaust fell off, the bracket actual fell off, needs to be welded back on. Exhaust welding also crap and leaks like a sieve.
2. Pull starter broke only after a couple of pulls.
3. Carb (i think) is faulty as bike stops randomly and bike dies if you give it too much gas. Accelerator also broken, and rear tire doesn't stop spinning. (temporary fixed)

The breaks on all 4 bikes are crap, and no matter what you do it cannot be adjusted properly without the vibration killing it after 2 mins of riding anyway. Many bolts all fall off due to vibration and crappy bolt/nutt. The plastic body also cracks easily.

Regardless of these issues, for $230/pop, they are still hilariously fun.

imdying
30th March 2010, 10:49
Only little things then, you'll get used to those :D

We should have a ride day next weekend!

Foobin
30th March 2010, 11:37
Little things maybe, but added up it can be a pain in the A**

Give me a bell at fucharles@gmail.com and we can sort something out. My mates are always out riding them nearly daily :)

888mike
30th March 2010, 12:02
Hey there you could try Greg at Extreme minimoto his web site is on the nzmmrc web site or you could google him, I think he has moved back to wellington, his bikes are dearer but they are well put together.

imdying
30th March 2010, 12:06
Little things maybe, but added up it can be a pain in the A**Totally know what you mean, we'll have a yap sometime then, there's some other options you haven't considered yet that are definitely worth a look.

Foobin
30th March 2010, 13:02
Im kinda set on getting the Blata 2.5

From what i have gathered everyone says they are reliable and fast enough for playing around with in a car park etc

I would rather pay something double the price for reliability, over a cheaper one but have many nights of headaches :blink:

CookMySock
30th March 2010, 13:18
Im kinda set on getting the Blata 2.5 [...] I would rather pay something double the price for reliability, over a cheaper one but have many nights of headaches :blink:Headaches?? Fixing them is half of the fun.

Oh well, soon we soon get to buy your stuff for peanuts when you've frustrated with it. :niceone:

Steve

imdying
30th March 2010, 13:54
Given that you've made your mind up, what is it that you're after?

Jonno.
30th March 2010, 15:00
Well me and 3 friends all got 1 each. Here is what happened to 3 of them.

1. Exhaust fell off, the bracket actual fell off, needs to be welded back on. Exhaust welding also crap and leaks like a sieve.
2. Pull starter broke only after a couple of pulls.
3. Carb (i think) is faulty as bike stops randomly and bike dies if you give it too much gas. Accelerator also broken, and rear tire doesn't stop spinning. (temporary fixed)

The breaks on all 4 bikes are crap, and no matter what you do it cannot be adjusted properly without the vibration killing it after 2 mins of riding anyway. Many bolts all fall off due to vibration and crappy bolt/nutt. The plastic body also cracks easily.

Regardless of these issues, for $230/pop, they are still hilariously fun.

The first one is really a metal issue I believe (the metal could have broken around the welds not the actual welds), not much you can do but get some wire and tie around the frame.
Second one is all about technique, get a new one and be gentle and not pull it all the way. I'm still on my first one after 8 months.
Three, could be the float, and the rear tyre should always spin I believe although shouldn't pull if it's on the ground.

My brakes aren't bad (stock on a d2) although I've changed with metal levers. You really need to find the point where they don't bind too much and give maximum braking ability.
For bolts losening try locktite (medium) and it should hold them together.

These bikes really are quite fun to work on because they are so simple (providing you're ready to learn).

Foobin
30th March 2010, 15:19
Given that you've made your mind up, what is it that you're after?

I only really made my mind up during the course of today haha!
You think its a good choice?

Foobin
30th March 2010, 15:23
These bikes really are quite fun to work on because they are so simple (providing you're ready to learn).

Guess im the kind of person that likes riding these toys, but don't have the time or patience to fix them.:Punk:

imdying
30th March 2010, 15:35
I only really made my mind up during the course of today haha!
You think its a good choice?Personally, yes. But...

Guess im the kind of person that likes riding these toys, but don't have the time or patience to fix them.:Punk:...half the fun is in keeping the going, you'd be better off not spending the money on the blatas and finding another hobby if you don't like to tinker, even they will require a certain amount of maintenance. You might consider making the necessary changes to the cags to get them going properly, you'll learn a lot from that exercise that will help you with the Blatas.

Jonno.
30th March 2010, 17:16
They really aren't that complicated and if you know how any kind of bike works it's so much more rewarding, and way less of a headache when something goes wrong.

I've got a cag and I've had it for almost a year and it's sweet as.

Ray LeCheminant
30th March 2010, 20:04
Mate for the right price I will move on one of our ZPF's refer to my signature below for details.

Our ZPF's is VERY reliable, and FAST. I work for a freight company so can ship at a reasonable rate for you too....

EVERY chinese bike needs a few changes when you buy it to make it reliable - plus ours has sava tires (wait for the PMT vs SAVA politics to start)

With regards to the 2.5 BLATA bikes you refer to, you will struggle to find a club/class to run them in unfortunately

Cheers

Ray

www.teamxtreme.co.nz

orange
30th March 2010, 20:54
what's that ulgy bike your son is riding Ray ?

Ray LeCheminant
30th March 2010, 21:08
AMCC Club Bike - Suzuki FXR

You had a good run on Sunday Mr Orange!!!

xtreme
30th March 2010, 21:13
Should be a minimoto picture aye , dont you think orange ?

orange
30th March 2010, 21:15
yep not bad for my number two engine

imdying
31st March 2010, 08:32
Could be worth a look, our ZPF has definitely given less trouble than the other bikes, but the brakes are worse than abysmal, and the build quality is still in the gutter. It's also waaaaaaaaay faster than that 2.5.

imdying
31st March 2010, 10:11
Oh yeah, I don't think being competitive should be a problem... we're pretty much the only people down here racing these, and all our air cooled bikes are 100% stock, so pretty gutless.

Having said that though, because of the crappy metal in the exhausts (as you've seen), we're sick of welding them up, so the first thing we'll change all the bikes to (away from stock) is the exhaust setups.

CookMySock
31st March 2010, 14:50
because of the crappy metal in the exhausts (as you've seen), we're sick of welding them up, so the first thing we'll change all the bikes to (away from stock) is the exhaust setups.We are sort of in the same situation, though we aren't running out of exhausts just yet. Our members agree that we could make our own exhaust, provided it was to "stock" measurements, and have it approved by your local "club", particularly so if the reason was that they didnt have one, and they could make one very cheaply themselves from what they had - a concept I am keen to promote. I think the rulebook would come out if the "standard" exhaust turned out to be rather fatter and longer that the original, and it cost three times as much as buying a new one.

@OP, don't be tempted to get a really powerful first bike. There's much more fun to be had on a standard air-cooled bike.

Steve

imdying
31st March 2010, 15:13
We are sort of in the same situation, though we aren't running out of exhausts just yet. Our members agree that we could make our own exhaust, provided it was to "stock" measurements, and have it approved by your local "club", particularly so if the reason was that they didnt have one, and they could make one very cheaply themselves from what they had - a concept I am keen to promote. I think the rulebook would come out if the "standard" exhaust turned out to be rather fatter and longer that the original, and it cost three times as much as buying a new one.Excellent, makes a lot of sense.

However, do consider that:
a) Time is money
b) Not every one can work metal or weld
c) The 'fat boy' exhausts are pretty cheap

In your experience, do those fat boy exhausts fall to bits?

If not, and given anyone that does more than a few hours on their bike must surely have broken one (ok, that's a lie, Phil's one on blue has never given any trouble, and has done as many hours as all the rest), maybe making those the 'standard' is the way to go for simplicitys sake? If nothing else, it keeps everyone on the same level playing field.

@OP, don't be tempted to get a really powerful first bike. There's much more fun to be had on a standard air-cooled bike.QFT :yes:

Z1_ZPF_BOY
31st March 2010, 17:03
Could be worth a look, our ZPF has definitely given less trouble than the other bikes, but the brakes are worse than abysmal, and the build quality is still in the gutter. It's also waaaaaaaaay faster than that 2.5.

Brake levers have been replaced with high quality aluminum levers. Braking is excellent. Could pull a stoppie if u wntd 2. Lol

Connor

CookMySock
31st March 2010, 17:43
All my exhausts are standard. We break plenty but a couple of us have a little MIG so its easy to fix them.

As for welding and fabricating - just cut a lump of panel steel out of an old car roof from the wrecker and bend it around and tack the fucker with the MIG. Sure, the first one will be shit, but you get the hang of it.

Steve

daz71
31st March 2010, 19:35
i am a welder and myself and mike aka (stallion) have been playing around with exhausts and with the daytonas the exhausts dont make to much difference , but it does with a higher horsepower bike , as i cant wait to try my weapon on sunday.lol

CookMySock
31st March 2010, 21:13
i am a welder and myself and mike aka (stallion) have been playing around with exhausts and with the daytonas the exhausts dont make to much difference , but it does with a higher horsepower bike , as i cant wait to try my weapon on sunday.lolYeah I think the porting, compression, and timing all have to change before the exhaust makes a lot of difference.

Steve

Foobin
5th April 2010, 01:11
Well me and my mate have got our Blata 2.5's now and have been riding them in for the last few days. They do go nice, and we arn't really competitive so just for fun i think its enough for us!

Im in the process of rebuilding my cag, basically everything but the frame is being replaced. Should keep me entertained for a couple of weeks.

So, who in chch is keen to meet up for a ride somewhere? pm me if you do, and have got some places in mind we can go for a spin

Cheers.

CookMySock
5th April 2010, 06:59
Theres a bit of recent movement with pocketbikes in your area, so maybe time is right to put your heads together and find some track space.

Our club has plenty of experience to share so let us know if we can help. Chch has the potential to be a really large and successful minimoto club.

Steve

CookMySock
5th April 2010, 07:00
Theres a bit of recent movement with pocketbikes in your area, so maybe time is right to put your heads together and find some track space and have a regular club day.

Our club has plenty of experience to share so let us know if we can help. Chch has the potential to be a really large and successful minimoto club.

Steve