PDA

View Full Version : Splitting cases. Tips?

Racey Rider
2nd April 2010, 15:26
Well I'm finial going to do it. Split my first set of two stroke cases.
The Mighty KR150a needs new crankshaft bearings, so the motors out - table space is cleared - tools appropriately at hand.

Thought I'd ask the experts if there are any tips - ideas - do's/don't do's they would like to share to help me get the little racer back up and running again before I launch in and make it a basket job!

Cheers.
Racey

Racey Rider
2nd April 2010, 16:19
Ok, first issue - How do you line those gear shalf claws (dogs?) up when sliding everything back together later?

Racey Rider
2nd April 2010, 17:19
Never mind. I wreaked the thread on the end of the crankshaft trying to knock it out.
New motor time!

CookMySock
2nd April 2010, 18:25
Woops. Just saw your thread now.. I'm just starting off with bike engines, but yeah you can't whack it like that. You're sposed to use a proper puller I think.

Steve

eelracing
5th April 2010, 11:47
Ok, first issue - How do you line those gear shalf claws (dogs?) up when sliding everything back together later?

They are the gear shift forks.If you've gottem in the correct order they will line up piece o'piss.

The best advice I could give you is to get a manual 1st before you even attempt to pull down an engine/gearbox for the first time.Haynes or Clymer are excellent if poss coz they have good hints or tips as well as special tools required etc.

Failing this it would be prudent to take plenty of pic's as you go.
I've found (coz i'm a dumbass)that as you strip down lay all the parts out in the order they come off and take good digital pic's as you go in stages.

It is excellent reference when putting things back together.

hayd3n
5th April 2010, 12:35
Never mind. I wreaked the thread on the end of the crankshaft trying to knock it out.
New motor time!

can you not just re dress the thread?

thepom
5th April 2010, 12:55
Same as eel......manual,pictures and gently does it.....

quallman1234
16th April 2010, 12:09
Keep everything together!