PDA

View Full Version : RG150 first start in a long time

ola_bitchola1
6th April 2010, 19:58
hi guys got my first bike its a bit of a resto project and will take me a few months to get it on the road i have a 1998 rg150 thats been sitting for a while and when i pick it up on thursday i want to try start it so aside from a fresh tank of 98 and fresh 2 stroke oil is there anything i need to do before i start i was thinking kicking it over a few times with the ign off to make sure everythings free was thinking a fresh plug but was thinking it would just foul it form not being run in ages i have lots of experiance with cars bikes not so much any tips ?

Str8 Jacket
6th April 2010, 21:05
Check over your; carb, power valves, oil pump etc. Change the spark plug anyway and then once you've run it check it again. Also, if your riding it on the road check that your lights and indicators are working. You may need a fresh battery too.... Also check the brakes, chain and sprockets. In fact RG's are so basic it's pretty easy to give it a good working over!
Have fun, they're awesome little bikes!! :D

ola_bitchola1
6th April 2010, 21:58
how do i check the power valves and oil pump it needs a new brake leaver before its ridden anyway

ola_bitchola1
9th April 2010, 17:28
so i now have the bike the tank was drained and so was the 2 stroke tank so in with fresh 95 and some of that expensive castrol high performance 2 stroke oil fuel started leaking from the float bowl drain i think i tightened the screw and it stopped lubed the clutch cable do it was working replaced broken brake lever and replaced spark plug charged the battery and i cant get it to start there seems to be fuel pooling in the air filter any ideas guys ? o and the throttle cable is a bit sticky eg you have to move it back to idle possition any ideas?

Jonathan
10th April 2010, 02:02
I really think you need to take out the carb and give it a good cleaning out. If it is gunked up (which is likely if the tank has been stagnating for a while) it would cause the sticky throttle and the fuel leaking from the drain. May want to bleed the 2-stroke lines too if the 2-stroke tank was totally drained. Also check the spark plug is sparking i.e. kicking it over with the plug held against something metal - probably need two people. Pretty weird to have fuel in the air filter though, don't know why that would be...

ola_bitchola1
10th April 2010, 14:15
ok so it runs turns out the kill button was stuck in so it runs well idles anything over idle it dies checked the carb it was clean it was the handle bar that caused the sticky throttle issue so it looks like the main jet may be blocked?

ola_bitchola1
11th April 2010, 12:17
its running i win blocked jets still have a few issues it doesnt really like running off choke and kicks a bit now and then and still feels like it bogging

Hoggy
12th April 2010, 17:10
You may need to check your power valves. They need to be cleaned every1000 k's anyway. If you need any info let me know. Mine is sit'in a barn on someones farm at the moment it died on Sunday. Just didn't have the tools to fix it.

ola_bitchola1
13th April 2010, 16:37
yes that would be great ill pm you to get that info any other ideas why its still not running right

Lurch
15th April 2010, 16:01
hi guys got my first bike its a bit of a resto project and will take me a few months to get it on the road i have a 1998 rg150 thats been sitting for a while and when i pick it up on thursday i want to try start it so aside from a fresh tank of 98 and fresh 2 stroke oil is there anything i need to do before i start i was thinking kicking it over a few times with the ign off to make sure everythings free was thinking a fresh plug but was thinking it would just foul it form not being run in ages i have lots of experiance with cars bikes not so much any tips ?

so i now have the bike the tank was drained and so was the 2 stroke tank so in with fresh 95 and some of that expensive castrol high performance 2 stroke oil fuel started leaking from the float bowl drain i think i tightened the screw and it stopped lubed the clutch cable do it was working replaced broken brake lever and replaced spark plug charged the battery and i cant get it to start there seems to be fuel pooling in the air filter any ideas guys ? o and the throttle cable is a bit sticky eg you have to move it back to idle possition any ideas?

Even for KB these are shockingly long word explosions with a mournful lack of punctuation or structure.