PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 Cam Chain Rattle

magicmonkey
15th April 2010, 07:59
After doing some research I've found this is a pretty common problem on the ZXR's, usually caused by the tensioner being worn out. So, considering how important the cam chain is (I had one go on a car once, not pretty!) I thought I'd best crack on and replace it. There's absolutely sod all in the manual about it though, it only covers the external part of the tensioner (which I've removed, checked and replaced as per the manual) so I was wondering if anyone has replaced one of these and had an idea of what needs to be done?

What I think needs to be done is removing the external part of the tensioner, then the rocker cover, cam guide and cams, then the clutch cover and then the internal part of the tensioner. Have I got the right idea there?

SS90
22nd April 2010, 04:23
Stop right there mate!

With all due respect, I suggest that you might be better off just taking it into a shop.

If you are worried about price, remove the fairings (that saves about half an hour labour, perhaps more).

The thing is that the ZXR cam chains (if you where to follow the factory manual) don't come with a joining link, and require either the cases to be split, or, you, have to remove one pin from the new chain, chase it through the bottom cam sprocket with the old chain (after removing the cams), then, re-fit the removed pin from the new chain, before riveting it over correctly.

Not really a good job for a "first timer", and quite a bit of skope for some four letter words if it all went wrong.

All up, an experienced workshop should have it done in no more that 2.5 hours (if you remove the bodywork first), and the chain (genuine Kawasaki only) is about $125.

Something like $300-$350 is a ball park figure.

Try and find someone who has done a few of these (most mechanics have), as there is a small mod you do to the cam cover where the chain runs, to reduce noise in the near future.