PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle lanes ‘can reduce fatalities by up to 90%’

Bob
16th April 2010, 00:17
Research in Malaysia has suggested implanting motorcycle lanes can help reduce fatalities by up to 90%. The survey – conducted over a three-year period in Kuala Lumpur and Klang, revealed only one fatality on motorcycle lanes.

Road Safety Department director-general Datuk Suret Singh said "That's why motorcycle lanes should be provided. By separating motorcycles from other vehicles, the accident rate in the country can be reduced.” Suret also advised all motorcyclists to lodge reports on any defects found on motorcycle lanes so that they could be repaired immediately.

A further move sees motorcyclists in the town of Putrajaya compelled to use motorcycle lanes, with punitive action being taken against anyone not obeying the ruling.

p.dath
16th April 2010, 07:43
I don't think there is much similarity between their roads and ours. The survey probably wont translate into our environment.

I don't like the idea of being *forced* to use them either ...

Toaster
16th April 2010, 08:10
Nice idea. Imagine our own lane and our own more appropriate speed limit! Oh well, enough dreaming!

yachtie10
16th April 2010, 08:18
The main difference is the number of motorcyclists and the ratio to cars
you will realise how good we have it here when you go ride a motorbike in most asian countries

The pollies wont consider it here unless there a lot more bikers

AJAX
16th April 2010, 08:56
the thing that gets me is the difference in our legal right to use bus lanes. i've had several runins with cops re using bus lanes, so i decided to check with LTNZ. apparently local councils are in charge of bus lanes that are within their duristiction and allow bikers to use bus lanes - these lanes are typically painted green. however, the bus lanes on motorways fall within the duristiction of LTNZ who don't allow bikes to use them. that's all well and good, however there are certain road around city's that are not motorway but which LTNZ has laid claim to anyway. for example esmonde rd in takapuna, auckland. gets bloody confusing.

instead of making specific motorbike lanes, which wouldn't be feasible because as yachtie said we dont' have the same volume of bikers, why not just open all bus lanes to bikes?? would save us lane splitting on motorways which would be WAY safer and i'm sure would reduce crash rates significantly. who here hasn't been suddenly moved in on when lane splitting by some idiot not looking?

Bob
17th April 2010, 00:29
Over here in the UK, bus lane allowance varies depending on where you are. Forward thinking cities like Bristol have allowed access for years. In London, we get bus lane access... or rather we do where a ruling body called 'Transport for London' owns the lanes. So you have to be careful if you're in London, but possibly not in their jurisdiction, as the lane might not be OK!

Madness? Yes. it is.

Allowing bikes in bus lanes, as we all know, makes perfect sense. It takes us out of the traffic, thus improving flow. It puts us in a safer place. And if a bus did need to get past, we can easily get out of their way.

London bus lanes are shared by pushbikes, motorcycles, taxis and any kind of emergency vehicle. Coaches are also allowed in there. And it works.

But, I would hate to be restricted to bus lanes only. If the main lane is clear, I will always ride there. But more and more I'm seeing other bikes riding in the bus lane only, as it is force of habit. I ride in the main lane if clear, if nothing else to reinforce our right to ride there.

R6_kid
17th April 2010, 11:03
Motorcycle lanes? Then you'd only have to deal with fuckwit motorcyclists which in general are much worse than fuckwit cagers.

Jayka
17th April 2010, 20:51
the thing that gets me is the difference in our legal right to use bus lanes. i've had several runins with cops re using bus lanes, so i decided to check with LTNZ. apparently local councils are in charge of bus lanes that are within their duristiction and allow bikers to use bus lanes - these lanes are typically painted green. however, the bus lanes on motorways fall within the duristiction of LTNZ who don't allow bikes to use them. that's all well and good, however there are certain road around city's that are not motorway but which LTNZ has laid claim to anyway. for example esmonde rd in takapuna, auckland. gets bloody confusing.

instead of making specific motorbike lanes, which wouldn't be feasible because as yachtie said we dont' have the same volume of bikers, why not just open all bus lanes to bikes?? would save us lane splitting on motorways which would be WAY safer and i'm sure would reduce crash rates significantly. who here hasn't been suddenly moved in on when lane splitting by some idiot not looking?

Im glad I live in Tauranga! We can use the bus lanes. I think we only have 1 bus lane, but Im glad I can use it cos 5pm traffic is a cunt LOL

I do agree that having seperate motobike lanes are not possible here- we dont have enough bikers compared to other countries and the other thing is that if they did put in motorbike lanes, seems it would be only catering for us (bikers) we would probably have to pay for it- another excuse for the law makers to put up the cost of REGO!!!!!!