PDA

View Full Version : Deja Vu

rok-the-boat
25th April 2010, 10:03
I ordered a top end kit on Ebay for my DR500 a couple of days ago - to give it a winter rebuild as it was beginning to burn a bit of oil. So, I thought, I'll start early, and went out to warm it up to drain the oil. WTF - no compression! Wouldn't start ... so I pulled it all apart. Couldn't find a cause though??? Piston was covered in carbon. Head gasket seemed OK, valves seem closed, but I suspect probably not. Will regrind them and put it all back together once the kit arrives. Weird - it ran fine last time I used it a month ago - and then - no compression (I imagined a stuck valve).

dino3310
10th May 2010, 18:05
just saw the thread mate, hows the rebuild going, has top end arrived yet

rok-the-boat
18th May 2010, 18:14
Still in bits - will rebuild soon.

rok-the-boat
31st May 2010, 22:47
Rebuilt it - new clutch, a hone with new rings, reground the valves, new seals, and it fired right up.

dino3310
1st June 2010, 08:54
nice one mate, bet she sounds great. look forward to seeing it in person some day, there a fab bike.
i miss mine but she was fearly beat up compared to your one, it would have taken a lot of $$$ to sort her.
Is she still on the market

rok-the-boat
5th June 2010, 21:04
Hi thar, just rode it around a bit - runs well, smooth as smooth. Took the top box off. Mine is showing its age though and it would be good to get something newer with a bigger tank for longer trips. Kawi 650 maybe, but am worried about the ACC 600cc rego idea. Also have the use of a mate's FZR1000 until it sells - a truly mad machine. If he lowers the price anymore I'll be tempted myself.

dino3310
6th June 2010, 11:53
the DR was a sentimental bike for me, cant compare them to modern day enduros theres no comparison, shocks, handling, performance etc etc But the Dr still has that element of nostalgic Cooool and every year that gets better. Would be great to have one in the shed for that occasional trip down memory lane.
Theres plenty of good 600s around mate but once you get the big HP road bike bug that might be the end on the thumpers :lol: