PDA

View Full Version : Race tyres and pressures?

{.bLanK}G_o_D
4th May 2010, 17:14
First lets see what tyres are more popular
Please vote only if you have, or have had either a set of PMT's or Sava's. If you have had both, vote for your personal preference.

I would also like to gather some data on what pressures work best on tyres for any given rider weight. I primarily want data on race tyres but feel free to post pressures of your cag tyres as it will be useful for those not yet on racing tyres. (poor sods)
Please post with all or as much of the following data as possible.

Your weight
Bike
Tyre brand
Slick or treaded (for cag tyres)
Front pressure cold
Front pressure hot
Front tyre surface temperature hot
Rear pressure cold
Rear pressure hot
Rear tyre surface temperature hot

Tyre pressure plays a huge part in the amount of available grip, I have searched high and low and have found many conflicting opinions. If we can suss out a rule of thumb specifically for minimoto tyres, we will all go a little faster. :)
Cheers.

{.bLanK}G_o_D
4th May 2010, 17:16
Reserved..............

{.bLanK}G_o_D
4th May 2010, 17:16
85Kgs
Daytona rep
PMT T41
F 25psi
R 30psi

I plan to get hot pressures and surface temps in the near future.

orange
6th May 2010, 21:19
pmt tyre performance drops lots after 5 track days where sava will do more track days with very little drop in tyre perfomance, and forget pmt 's when it's wet.

imdying
7th May 2010, 09:00
Orange, could you recommend pressures to start with for adults?

mohawk
7th May 2010, 09:07
Have seen afew of Savas that are odd sizes , sum that refuse to bead up, and some outa round, and I heard rumers of some seconds that were on the market a while ago. plus i saw one that was bigger than the rim last weekend ???
ive got 8 savas and 2 pmts and have no problem with any of them, but there seems to be some build quality issues with the savas so if im paying over 100 bucks a tyre im not going anywhere near the Savas.

imdying
7th May 2010, 09:45
I only have the PMTs that I brought off of Ray when he moved to his sponsors tyres (Savas), but I think one of the guys brought a metric arse load of PMTs recently, so at this stage it's all PMTs through that chain of events, no worries there. What about you mohawk, where's a good place for an adult to start on PMT tyre pressure? (T40s and 41s afaik).

imdying
7th May 2010, 09:46
If it's sensitive race business then feel free to PM me, we just want somewhere to start so we don't kill them prematurely.

mohawk
7th May 2010, 09:58
Note ... My pmts max psi 2.5 bar Savas max psi 4 bar.........

I run the pressures near max if its dry, less friction and alot more nimble on the d2s. But drop them abit on a slimey track in the wet. Remember these tyres are designed to hold on when the open bikes go round corners, so most of us have alot of leeway with our pressures.
3\4 of max psi is a good place too start, then go by feel.

888mike
7th May 2010, 10:18
I run my T41s at 26psi fr and 24psi rear in the hot months and 22psi rear when colder get better grip and thats on my B1 and GRC the daytonas same sort of presure in my zhonyas and I weigh 85kg safer for my kids with less air in tyres they get better grip too hard and they slide around as not enough weight to make the tyres work.

imdying
7th May 2010, 11:09
Thanks so much for that guys, one of the boys has made a major investment in tyres, and I'd like to see him get the grip/life out of them that reflects that.

mohawk
7th May 2010, 12:59
Im about 70kg and the MA sava on the rear of my d2 is 3/4 worn on the inside after 10 meetings. Ive had it let go on a regular basis but ive been pushing the little bike pretty hard in the corners. Id have gone for the MBs but the MA rears were cheap. Got a MB on the front and its pretty much still mint.
Both the pmts on my b1 and the savas on my mod (mb frnt ma rear ) are wearing better, but theyve done alot less work, 7meetings i guess.
I run the savas around 3 bar and the pmts around 2 on average.
Dont take what i say for granted, this is purely fun for me and missus and we've only been at it 18 months or so.

Ps I WILL NEVER RACE ON CHINESE SLICKS AGAIN. Race tyres are just sooo much better.

I voted PMT cause they got yellow writing on them lol.

imdying
7th May 2010, 15:53
No worries mate, it's all just fun for us, just want to avoid doing something silly that will cut them out quickly.

Ray LeCheminant
7th May 2010, 20:35
I voted PMT cause they got yellow writing on them lol.[/QUOTE]

So if SAVA had writing, you'd vote for THEM....yeehaaahhhh.... SAVA = 4 Letters / PMT = 3 Letters = SAVA WINS

Z1_ZPF_BOY
7th May 2010, 22:37
ive only ever run SAVA so i cannot really compare the two, but i know that sava stick bloody well! they have never let me down and as orange said they do last for ages, my MB compound tires carried me through 10 meetings plus at least 6 or so mt welly track days and still have plenty of rubber left on them. GO SAVA!

BigAl
8th May 2010, 17:39
Running Savas on my B1 and Pmt41s on the B2.
After having mostly Savas and having lots problems with quality including out of roundness and beading I prefer the PMTs.
I've also had Savas start to split with plenty of wear left and seen the same on Bretts bike.
The Pmts will last longer but do take a lap to warm up whereas the Savas grip straight away. Currently running 25psi in cooler weather & 30 when its hot.
But if the tyres run true then both are heaps better than chinkas, so it may just depend on what you have access to.

orange
8th May 2010, 19:26
PMT tyres Split also mine did it after 2 races. And why are people running higher pressure in your front tyre when YOU fat arse is sitting over the back one?
higher pressure tyre runs cooler-lower pressure tyre runs hotter.

From what I've heard Sava are kicking arse in Italy in some classes!!!
before you start in I run PMT's

the guys running PMT's are you running the new mould ones? have you noticed they are very sensitive to pressure change

mohawk
8th May 2010, 20:19
Rubber gets harder as it ages I think. Could it be a case of old age/stock that had caused the tyres to split ?

I usually run both tyres the same psi, i dont think i ride well enough to notice the differance between one end of the bike and the other. lol .

orange
8th May 2010, 20:58
my tyres are fresh from Italy every time so i would say it's not that .

orange
24th May 2010, 19:26
anyone tried new pmt m compond?

{.bLanK}G_o_D
25th May 2010, 17:50
This is not a buy sell exchange.
If you mention you have a set of tyres for sale cheap while your posting an informative reply that's ok. But all you are doing is thread jacking. Go Jack off somewhere else.

imdying
26th May 2010, 09:01
Yeah, how dare you try to pass on a cheap deal amongst what is a small community via an essentially dead subforum. I mean shit orange, what were you thinking :blink:

orange
4th June 2010, 22:29
For all the PMT lovers>>>> there is a problem with some batches

http://picasaweb.google.it/rassapiaveracingteam/GommaDifetto?authkey=Gv1sRgCKDa2peNxPG0gQE#5477528 609977259362