PDA

View Full Version : Trouble shifting to neutral

Spazman727
6th May 2010, 20:57
Im having trounle shifting into neutral while the bike is running. If I bring the revs up to about 4k I can usually get it in there but not always and almost never when its just idling. I know bikes are ment to be a bit trickey getting into neutral but this seems a bit ridiculous. any suggestions?

CookMySock
6th May 2010, 21:03
Did it get worse suddenly? Has the oil just been changed? Too thick oil will make the gearbox do that.

Steve

hayd3n
6th May 2010, 21:17
try rolling the bike forward and back a little with the clutch in and lifting the shifter into neutral

Spazman727
6th May 2010, 21:24
Its been doing it since Ive had it. Oil hasn't just been cahnged and Ive tired rolling it back and forward, no change.

hayd3n
6th May 2010, 21:27
how many kms on the clock?
quite possibly due for a oil change

Mom
6th May 2010, 21:29
Im having trounle shifting into neutral while the bike is running. If I bring the revs up to about 4k I can usually get it in there but not always and almost never when its just idling. I know bikes are ment to be a bit trickey getting into neutral but this seems a bit ridiculous. any suggestions?

Bouncing the front forks with the front brake on while attempting to select neutral can help sometimes. Can you easily select neutral with the engine off? I used to deliberately stall my bike to select neutral :lol: Royal pain in the bum.

Do you also find the bike tends to creep forward at lights when you are sitting holding the clutch in? Chances are your clutch is not releasing fully. As somene said, it could be oil related, but given the age of your bike it is likely to be a worn clutch.

CookMySock
6th May 2010, 21:36
Its been doing it since Ive had it.Change the oil. I bet someone has put the wrong oil in it.

Steve

Spazman727
6th May 2010, 21:41
It does creep forward at lights a bit. I dont know when the oil was last chaanged. I think I'll take it for a service soon. Thanks for the advice.

sinfull
6th May 2010, 21:44
It does creep forward at lights a bit. I dont know when the oil was last chaanged. I think I'll take it for a service soon. Thanks for the advice. Simple clutch adjustment should fix it then, but do check the gear oil anyway, Change it if it's even a little dirty !

YellowDog
6th May 2010, 21:45
+1 for hayd3n & Steve.

Change the oil for the right stuff.

I always know when I need an oil change by the usually smooth gear change getting less consistent.

onearmedbandit
6th May 2010, 21:50
As others have said, change the oil (there's no harm in that) but also adjust your clutch so the bike doesn't creep, as that more than anything will be making it difficult to get into neutral.

Spazman727
6th May 2010, 22:07
Ok, cool. I thought oil might be a problem. I think ill change it a t the weekend.