PDA

View Full Version : Valve seals?

magicmonkey
10th May 2010, 13:03
ok, maybe a silly question but I'm wondering if the valve seals need to be replaced or can the old seals be re-used if they're in a decent condition?

R6_kid
10th May 2010, 13:49
assuming you are taking the valves out anyway why not just do them so you know they are 100%? I can't see any reason you'd need to replace them unless the motor is burning oil or they were looking/feeling like they were on their way to crapping out in the next 50,000-100,00km (or however long it will be before you need to split the head again)

blackdog
10th May 2010, 13:58
i would have thought if you are buying a top gasket set that they would be included?

magicmonkey
10th May 2010, 15:08
The only realy worry I have is being able to find them, apparently the piston rings and valves aren't available but I haven't checked on the seals yet. I was kind of hoping that I might be able to get away with re-using the old ones as the gaskets for this thing seem to be stupidly expensive!

neels
10th May 2010, 15:50
The only realy worry I have is being able to find them,
What he said.

i would have thought if you are buying a top gasket set that they would be included?
If they come with a gasket set, replace them while you're there. If you're pulling the valves there's a good chance you'll bugger them getting them over the valve collet grooves anyway.

If they are shagged it's not a huge drama, just might mean a little bit of smoke at startup or on overrun, not life threatening but annoying if you could have changed them while you were in there.

LBD
10th May 2010, 16:08
. If you're pulling the valves there's a VERY good chance you'll bugger them getting them over the valve collet grooves anyway.

Exactly......

magicmonkey
10th May 2010, 16:36
right, definately time to order some seals then! Thanks guys :)

LBD
10th May 2010, 16:51
And use plenty of grease on the stem when fitting the ne seals...

jellywrestler
10th May 2010, 17:47
what else are you doing and on what bike? if its just the seals you can change them without taking the head off

magicmonkey
11th May 2010, 07:22
what else are you doing and on what bike? if its just the seals you can change them without taking the head off

I was just wondering about the seals as the valves are coming off anyway, the head is already sat on the workbench ;)

magicmonkey
11th May 2010, 13:03
hmm, just got a quote for the new seals, $11 each and I need 16 of them! Frankly, it's a complete rip off and I won't be happy having to pay that but I might be at the point where I just have to suck it up. I've tried SIL but they don't stock valve seals at all so if anyone has any suggestions of anywhere else it'd be much appreciated :0

neels
11th May 2010, 15:25
Only $176, its a bargain!

Holy crap, are they gold plated or something? I'm assuming you can't get a complete gasket set for the thing, you need a head gasket anyway so a set should be cheaper than the individual bits.

magicmonkey
11th May 2010, 15:31
Only $176, its a bargain!

Holy crap, are they gold plated or something? I'm assuming you can't get a complete gasket set for the thing, you need a head gasket anyway so a set should be cheaper than the individual bits.

well, this is the same shop that tried to charge me $6 for a 5mm o-ring though so I've asked a few other places, still waiting to hear back from anyone that can get hold of them though, doh!

magicmonkey
13th May 2010, 07:43
ok, hoping for a bit of guidance here, I've found some reasonably priced valve seals from the UK (yeah, I know, I'd like to support my local bike shop but I'm not going to get ripped off in the process) They're about $30 for the lot but they're from a Z250a, apparently these are the ones which are most likely to be right for the ZXR but I was wondering if anyone knew how/where to get hold of the specs for the seals? I've had a bit of a google but not really come up with an answer yet...

Katman
13th May 2010, 10:05
Tell your local bike shop that aftermarket valve stem seals for your bike are available through R2 Enterprises at a RRP of $6.60 each.

I would be highly surprised if Z250A seals were the same as for the ZXR.

magicmonkey
14th May 2010, 07:26
Tell your local bike shop that aftermarket valve stem seals for your bike are available through R2 Enterprises at a RRP of $6.60 each.

I would be highly surprised if Z250A seals were the same as for the ZXR.

sweet, cheers Katman, I've got them to order in from R2 and it's overnight so I'm picking up today :) Still a lot more dear than the ones from the UK but they're a reasonable price for the market they're being sold in so I'll bite the bullet on that one :)

rok-the-boat
19th May 2010, 19:14
Way too expensive. I got 4 off of Ebay for my bike for $10.

magicmonkey
26th May 2010, 10:16
ok, I've popped the new valve seals on but in the process of lapping the valves found that one of the inlet valves was screwed. I've posted in the trading forum but though I'd ask on here if anyone has one. I'm hoping I might reach a different audience :p

neels
26th May 2010, 10:18
Screwed in what way? Could you get it reground rather than replacing it?

magicmonkey
26th May 2010, 10:23
Screwed in what way? Could you get it reground rather than replacing it?

I think it's too far worn to regrind it unfortunately, it looks like it's been work pretty close to breaking point at the moment and I'm don't really want to put it back in as it looks like it'll start dropping bits of itself into the cylinder some time soon.

glegge
26th May 2010, 16:04
I think it's too far worn to regrind it unfortunately, it looks like it's been work pretty close to breaking point at the moment and I'm don't really want to put it back in as it looks like it'll start dropping bits of itself into the cylinder some time soon.

I wonder how much can be done with metal spray. I'm not sure if it would be up to the job of re-building the sealing face of a valve in a high reving engine.
perhaps another KB'er may want to comment that is better qualified to do so.

Katman
27th May 2010, 10:01
(Dare I say it........?)

If someone can put you in contact with skidmark he's bound to have a valve lying around somewhere - or know of the whereabouts of one.

magicmonkey
27th May 2010, 10:18
well, panic over :) Just managed to get hold of a head and the owner is happy for me to pull a valve out and return the rest of the head :D Hopefully it should just be a case of lapping the new valve in and putting everything back together now (I'm an eternal optimist!)