PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 distractions for motorcyclists, say Swinton

Bob
12th May 2010, 00:15
UK Bike insurer Swinton has drawn up a list of the top ten distractions for motorcyclists. The top ten, the result of a survey taken by the insurer, is as follows:

Pedestrians crossing road
Cyclists
Debris in the road
Car drivers making right turns and at junctions
Potholes, manhole covers and drain covers (especially when wet)
Excessive use of overbanding
Diesel stains on tarmac
Speed bumps
Vehicles leaving indicators on while driving
Children/ animals playing close to road

Anthony Aronin, Head of Swinton Bikes, said: "Concentration is paramount while riding and what seems like a small disruption can have a big impact on a rider's attention. We would always advise riders to pull over if they are being distracted and not to start riding again until safe to do so."

onearmedbandit
12th May 2010, 01:19
What about girls in summer in short skirts with tight tops? Ok ok, so Honda riders are excused, but for the rest of us it's probably the most distracting thing on the road.

wickle
12th May 2010, 06:04
What about girls in summer in short skirts with tight tops? Ok ok, so Honda riders are excused, but for the rest of us it's probably the most distracting thing on the road.

maybe they dont have that sort of distraction in UK?

Big Dave
12th May 2010, 06:29
They should make a list of funny lists published by insurance companies.

If you are distracted by a manhole cover or speed bumps - stop until they go away.

Gubb
12th May 2010, 08:17
What's "excessive use of overbanding"?

onearmedbandit
12th May 2010, 08:53
What's "excessive use of overbanding"?

Tar snakes.

Bob
12th May 2010, 09:13

One lovely Summer day, I was waiting at traffic lights, when I spotted a girl - must have been 6 ft tall, about 5ft of which was legs, walking along wearing a tiny little summer dress.

So did a chap walking along the same pavement as her. Unfortunately for him, he didn't spot the telegraph pole in front of him... he was so busy looking back at her extremely long legs that he walked into the pole!

I thanked the light for changing at that moment, as I burst out laughing and was glad to be able to ride away before he had a go at me!