PDA

View Full Version : 600cc exhaust on a 250cc bike. Can the change be made?

Zim_Invader
16th May 2010, 19:29
Alright... i won't be lazy. i'll start a clean new thread for this. Same question though. Can a 600cc exhaust be modified slightly to work on a 250, and if so, how?

bogan
16th May 2010, 19:30
yup, with a tig welder would be the best option. I'm guessing you just mean the can? probably bettor off getting something suited to the engine size.

Zim_Invader
16th May 2010, 19:37
Yupp, just usoing hte can from a 600. Go on... so, would they keep the can, but weld into the pipe at some point a disk with some holes to restrict airflow and thus help prevent compression and backpressure loss?? whats tig welding & where could i get it done?

bogan
16th May 2010, 19:44
Yupp, just usoing hte can from a 600. Go on... so, would they keep the can, but weld into the pipe at some point a disk with some holes to restrict airflow and thus help prevent compression and backpressure loss?? whats tig welding & where could i get it done?

Um, not overly sure why you would want to restrict airflow for backpressure, if your current system is quite restrictive you may need a re-jet to get more power at the same time, but I doubt it would be very restrictive at all. Way I'd do it would be to get a bit of stainless sheet and cut to cone shape and weld it in line. Tig is tungsten inert gas, pretty muh the only way to weld stainless exhausts, and does a bloody nice job, most general engineering places should have a tig.

Morcs
16th May 2010, 19:52
I run a aftermarket can that came off a gsxr250 on my cbr600... was dyno'd and runs mint.

Squiggles
16th May 2010, 21:33
Dunno, Do a better job than you did with the current one!

Phurrball
17th May 2010, 18:20
A better question would be - Why make the change? Is the pay off worth it in terms of time and aggravation?

Little VTRs can sound good with a can, but it's hardly worth the effort for any power gain. A few percent more of 32 odd horsepower still isn't much. Our one has a standard can - which is pretty good at protecting the bike if it slides down the road :D

The Pastor
17th May 2010, 20:18
if your talking about the muffler, then yes, headers - proably not.

Zim_Invader
17th May 2010, 21:49
Dunno, Do a better job than you did with the current one!

ahahaha.... ya, we don't want another muffler suddenly falling off the bike when i go somewhere.

A better question would be - Why make the change? Is the pay off worth it in terms of time and aggravation?

Little VTRs can sound good with a can, but it's hardly worth the effort for any power gain. A few percent more of 32 odd horsepower still isn't much. Our one has a standard can - which is pretty good at protecting the bike if it slides down the road :D

no.. not for more power, just, if u've seen the state of the one on there at the moment, u'd know why i need to get a new one on. But trademe don't really have any cheap mufflers for a 250 on there, so was wondering how a bigger engine's one would fare.

if your talking about the muffler, then yes, headers - proably not.

yup, just the muffler... so it'd work fine? mint.

I decided to pay Warren (dude from Virgin Mufflers) a visit today. have decided that becoz i'm prob never gonna sell my bike, i may as well get a muffler on there that'll look good and be a permanent, set fix, that i won't ever have to look back at and worry about in the future. So those of u that see my bike before next week, it's not gonna be the same forever, and those that prob wont, good! hahaha. now, i just need to find a nice headlight to complete the look, and my bike will be done! here on out, no more mods will need to be done. got the tail sorted an wil soon have the exhaust done. headlight and some sorta visor to go with it if possible, and i'm done!

motorbyclist
19th May 2010, 02:25
Um, not overly sure why you would want to restrict airflow for backpressure, he's trying to avoid losing all the backpressure. His bike, like all bikes, is tuned to work well under the stock condition and benefits from a bit of backpressure, and will lose bottom end, run rich, and even lose bottom end without a fair bit of work for the high flow 600 muffler.

yes, this means noise does not mean power.:shit:

, i may as well get a muffler on there that'll look good and be a permanent, set fix, that i won't ever have to look back at and worry about in the future.

:clap:

A better question would be - Why make the change?

the current muffler is attached by bog and hoseclamps, and is covered in rust.

motorbyclist
19th May 2010, 02:33

Purely for the record:

a restrictor plate would work and i've done it before on my old dirtbike (after the initial baffles was an endcap that i kept "tuning" it with a file until I got it right)

TIG welding is basically getting a big fucking electric arc from a tungsten electrode to the surface of the metal and sticking a metal rod in there to get melted and alloyed into the metal you're welding.... T for tungsten and IG for the inert gas you have to flow over the weld to keep the oxygen/water out of there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C5s60JMxNU&feature=related

crazyhorse
19th May 2010, 06:59
Interesting thing to do....... :)

Zim_Invader
23rd May 2010, 10:47
he's trying to avoid losing all the backpressure. His bike, like all bikes, is tuned to work well under the stock condition and benefits from a bit of backpressure, and will lose bottom end, run rich, and even lose bottom end without a fair bit of work for the high flow 600 muffler.

yes, this means noise does not mean power.:shit:

the current muffler is attached by bog and hoseclamps, and is covered in rust.

... IN MY DEFENSE, it was solid! Not gonna go anywhere. (but sadly, not WOF-able) lol .

Purely for the record:

a restrictor plate would work and i've done it before on my old dirtbike (after the initial baffles was an endcap that i kept "tuning" it with a file until I got it right)
[/url]

Nice :) now i know what options i'll have when i get the project bike. cheers bud... needed to be sure.

Zim_Invader
23rd May 2010, 11:32
i may as well get a muffler on there that'll look good and be a permanent, set fix, that i won't ever have to look back at and worry about in the future.

blingable?heheheh

motorbyclist
25th May 2010, 02:16

Interesting thing to do....... :)

interesting for a business to successfully sell it as their main product:

http://www.supertrapp.com/technology/index.asp