PDA

View Full Version : 2nd hand PCIII?

2wheeljunkie
18th May 2010, 14:54
hey guys, need some advice. theres a PCIII for sale. just wandering if its safe to buy a 2nd hand one?

Squiggles
18th May 2010, 15:18
Safer than a used condom, does that help?

2wheeljunkie
18th May 2010, 15:27
no squiggles that did not help, wanker. would you get it?

Squiggles
18th May 2010, 15:42
no squiggles that did not help, wanker. would you get it?

Nah, no use on my carbed <del>DR</del> GN.

Seriously tho, theres unlikely to be anything wrong with it

2wheeljunkie
18th May 2010, 15:51
Seriously tho, theres unlikely to be anything wrong with it

much appreciated. wanker :)

vifferman
18th May 2010, 17:45
I bought a secondhand PCII a few years ago and it's still going strong.
You have to make sure that it's for the same model of bike, otherwise the plugs aren't compatible, and I suspect there may be other problems. Otherwise, go for it!

jono035
18th May 2010, 18:13
hey guys, need some advice. theres a PCIII for sale. just wandering if its safe to buy a 2nd hand one?

I wouldn't worry about it, they should be pretty bombproof.

-Jono (a guy who does electrical stuff)

Sensei
18th May 2010, 20:06
Make sure you bike is the same as what the PCIII is in & best to try it out while still in the bike it is getting taken out of , then you know it works & can see if there is anything wrong with it .

motorbyclist
19th May 2010, 02:16
as jono said they will be pretty bomb-proof unless someone's gone and hooked it up to mains power or something stupid.

Do get one though - my brother's hornet bike has a misfire and can cut out when cold since he did the pipe without a tune (and by now he's almost spent enough on sparkplugs to pay for the PCIII anyway!)

PirateJafa
19th May 2010, 10:29
A PCIII ain't going to make a hell of a difference unless you get it dyno-tuned as well.

But then you'll get a good gain in performance. :D

Zim_Invader
23rd May 2010, 11:47
But then you'll get a good gain in performance. :D

and a bigger hole in his wallet.... get a carbie bike! god loves em (i know, he told me so). they'll save the world some day. Mark my WORDS!!!

PirateJafa
23rd May 2010, 13:04
and a bigger hole in his wallet.... get a carbie bike! god loves em (i know, he told me so). they'll save the world some day. Mark my WORDS!!!

Because we all know that it is so much faster (ergo: cheaper) to dyno-tune a carb'd bike than it is to dyno-tune a injected bike. Ohwaitno,theotherthing.

jono035
23rd May 2010, 13:29
Because we all know that it is so much faster (ergo: cheaper) to dyno-tune a carb'd bike than it is to dyno-tune a injected bike. Ohwaitno,theotherthing.

Not to mention carbs are so much more reliable and consistent as well as standing up better to wear and tear over time! Wait, I got that one the wrong way around too...

Squiggles
23rd May 2010, 13:39
Carbs dont require electrical smoke :rockon:

Zim_Invader
23rd May 2010, 14:30
hate all you want... carbs are brilliant! if it weren't for them, u'd not have your injection systems! appreciate the foundations of your machine design kiddos. wait, so is it more expensive to dyno tune a carbie? i didn't know that... i thought u could always get around that by just tweaking them as needed. meh. so i've learnt something new.

2wheeljunkie
23rd May 2010, 14:32
hate all you want... carbs are brilliant!

hermmm................................

Zim_Invader
23rd May 2010, 14:40
hermmm................................

shoosh! .

Slyer
23rd May 2010, 14:43
Fuck carbs right up their fucking arse.

jono035
23rd May 2010, 14:45
hate all you want... carbs are brilliant! if it weren't for them, u'd not have your injection systems! appreciate the foundations of your machine design kiddos. wait, so is it more expensive to dyno tune a carbie? i didn't know that... i thought u could always get around that by just tweaking them as needed. meh. so i've learnt something new.

Sure, and automobiles wouldn't be here if it wasn't for horses and carts, so you should really get one of those instead of your fancy newfangled carbed bike.

With an injected bike, you don't need to tune the bike at all for low/medium throttle because it's running closed loop and self-tuning from the oxygen sensors. For full/high throttle you can do a pull, look at the results, adjust the tuning and repeat with the entire process taking stuff all time. Doing the same thing with a carbed bike requires the carbs to be removed and dismantled.

Carbs don't exactly have a huge amount of positive sides when it comes down to it.

Slyer
23rd May 2010, 14:47
Apart from being cheap.

2wheeljunkie
23rd May 2010, 14:48
zim = 0 , kb = 1.

jono035
23rd May 2010, 15:00
Apart from being cheap.

They aren't though, they're freakin expensive compared to an injection system when you're making em a few hundred thousand at a time...

reemit
23rd May 2010, 15:44
Fuck carbs right up their fucking arse.
Well said that man,:mega::yeah: couldn't have explained it any better!

Zim_Invader
23rd May 2010, 15:54
Sure, and automobiles wouldn't be here if it wasn't for horses and carts, so you should really get one of those instead of your fancy newfangled carbed bike.
hmmmm.. don't tempt me too much.. imagine popping a wheelie on one of those? lol.

motorbyclist
28th May 2010, 14:49
hate all you want... carbs are brilliant! if it weren't for them, u'd not have your injection systems! .

IIRC, diesel engines had mechanical injection from their very beginning; so is isn't too difficult to imagine a petrol world without carbies....

carbies are a less complex system in that they have lower technological overheads and few moving parts, but rely on a careful balance of several factors (some of which change with temperature and pressure) and are an open loop system, making them prone to "two-stroke-itis" type problems

Real_Wolf
28th May 2010, 15:19
IIRC, diesel engines had mechanical injection from their very beginning; so is isn't too difficult to imagine a petrol world without carbies....

carbies are a less complex system in that they have lower technological overheads and few moving parts, but rely on a careful balance of several factors (some of which change with temperature and pressure) and are an open loop system, making them prone to "two-stroke-itis" type problems
Diesel engines need the compression, so carbs would be quite a hassle to design for them.

As for the carbs, this makes me wonder how hard it would be to put in some feedback in the loop to make carbs more reliable

jono035
28th May 2010, 16:16
Diesel engines need the compression, so carbs would be quite a hassle to design for them.

As for the carbs, this makes me wonder how hard it would be to put in some feedback in the loop to make carbs more reliable

I think you've got that backwards...

Diesel engines are simple enough that they don't NEED carbs. The fuel/air mix in a diesel engine doesn't need to be carefully regulated because the diesel burns slowly and there is no danger of pre-ignition due to the diesel self-igniting under pressure. Maintaining that pressure requires both high compression and high manifold pressures, so a butterfly valve can't be used to control the engines power output. It's not that a carbs would be a hassle, it's that they're inappropriate and entirely un-necessary.

As to the problem of a feedback loop, just what exactly are you going to 'feed back' as such? The feedback loop within a injected engine is the oxygen sensor which is inherently an electrical device. To provide the feedback you would then need to electrically control the jet needle height which is basically an over-complicated fuel injector!

AllanB
28th May 2010, 16:28
Meh carbs are old news. Next you'll want to go back to setting a set of points for your timing! Gawd I changed a few of them and used to carry a very small file for the occasional roadside clean! Well over those days now.
Walk up to the bike, key in, push buttom and VAROOOOOMMMMMMMM. No tickling, kicking or cursing.

jono035
28th May 2010, 16:38
Meh carbs are old news. Next you'll want to go back to setting a set of points for your timing! Gawd I changed a few of them and used to carry a very small file for the occasional roadside clean! Well over those days now.
Walk up to the bike, key in, push buttom and VAROOOOOMMMMMMMM. No tickling, kicking or cursing.

There are a few engines out there that don't even use points, they just rely on a magnet passing a coil to generate the spark, can't imagine that's particularly great above a few hundred RPM...

motorbyclist
30th May 2010, 14:53
how hard it would be to put in some feedback in the loop to make carbs more reliable

it's called good maintenance and a competent rider with the "knack" for starting that particular machine

PirateJafa
30th May 2010, 16:59
it's called good maintenance and a competent rider with the "knack" for starting that particular machine

A well-maintained carburetted bike should need no "knack" to start it.

But that's the crux of the matter, isn't it? Pre-emptive maintenance, rather than reactive. :Pokey:

Squiggles
30th May 2010, 17:17
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmYDgncMhXw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CmYDgncMhXw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2wheeljunkie
31st May 2010, 15:31
can he lead a normal life? No!....he'l be an engineer.

bahahahahahaha:rofl:

AllanB
31st May 2010, 15:36
I have a wondering about Power Commanders etc.

I wonder if all PC3 are actually the identical box just with a different set of wire fittings between bikes/makers - the only difference is the software. Based on this in theory if say a Honda CB1300 had exactly the same plug fittings as my 900 it is only the map loaded for the specific bike that makes a difference.

Just a theory. Feel free to test it for me!

jono035
31st May 2010, 17:16
I have a wondering about Power Commanders etc.

I wonder if all PC3 are actually the identical box just with a different set of wire fittings between bikes/makers - the only difference is the software. Based on this in theory if say a Honda CB1300 had exactly the same plug fittings as my 900 it is only the map loaded for the specific bike that makes a difference.

Just a theory. Feel free to test it for me!

The guts will be identical, but may be programmed differently for different crank position sensors, types of injector, coil combinations or what have you...

motorbyclist
5th June 2010, 13:54
A well-maintained carburetted bike should need no "knack" to start it.

not true - some don't want gas, some do want gas, some just want a flick of gas, and some need x amount of choke with no gas.

it's especially noticable when a kickstart is involved. add manual decompression and bikes like the yamaha yz400/426f are well known for being easy to start only if you know how, and pigs otherwise.

carburation is never perfect, and then you're doing it cold.