PDA

View Full Version : Pin prick sized leak in radiator.

onearmedbandit
21st May 2010, 14:48
As the thread title says. After getting home from a ride today I discovered a very tiny leak that was spraying coolant out of the radiator. I know I'm going to have to take it to a radiator shop but what should I expect something like this to sting me? I'm not interested in any 'quick fixes' as such.

imdying
21st May 2010, 14:51
Fuck all, I'll get it sorted. Can you take it off now?

Actually, I wonder if Phil's Durafix might be just the shiz for this?

/edit: Indeed, it's listed as something it does on their site!

onearmedbandit
21st May 2010, 14:55
Sweet. It'll be a mission but I'm sure I can get it out.

imdying
21st May 2010, 15:05
I'll pop past after work and laugh at your misfortune :D

Make sure it's still moveable, we'll need to dump the coolant outside in the gutter... errr, I mean, in some container so we can dispose of it responsibly :yes:

onearmedbandit
21st May 2010, 15:39
Dumped most of the coolant into a bucket already, for ah transportation to a greenie-approved recycling facility. The bike is still movable, just one more hose to disconnect and then remove the mounting bolts/fan/oil cooler. See you soon then eh.

CookMySock
21st May 2010, 20:06
I second the durafix. Maybe you don't even need to take it off the bike.

Steve

shafty
21st May 2010, 20:46
20 bucks or a hand job should do it

onearmedbandit
21st May 2010, 22:22
I second the durafix. Maybe you don't even need to take it off the bike.

Steve

Taken it off because it's just easier to wok on, and I'm heading over to Phil's with imdying shortly with it. Didn't want to ride it over there.

cowpoos
22nd May 2010, 18:05
As the thread title says. After getting home from a ride today I discovered a very tiny leak that was spraying coolant out of the radiator. I know I'm going to have to take it to a radiator shop but what should I expect something like this to sting me? I'm not interested in any 'quick fixes' as such.

Is it one of the fins fraser??? or at a joint?

onearmedbandit
23rd May 2010, 00:07
Is it one of the fins fraser??? or at a joint?

It looks like it's coming from top fin just below one of the upper mounts. We're going to clean it up with some shit a welder type dude is giving us then hitting it with the JB Weld.

cowpoos
23rd May 2010, 09:03
It looks like it's coming from top fin just below one of the upper mounts. We're going to clean it up with some shit a welder type dude is giving us then hitting it with the JB Weld.

Radiators don't run very high pressures dude...infact they are quite low....if its just a fin...squeeze it firmly with long nose pliers. works 70% of the time....dont stick radiator stop leak in it!!
If that fails...get some braising rod off a refrigeration fella and lay the radiator flat...get the blow torch out and let a few drops fall on the spot.

If its a seam where it joins the housing...take it a radiator outfit.

CookMySock
23rd May 2010, 09:56
Am I the only one who sees "Pin-Sized Prick" when reading the topic? :blink:

Steve

onearmedbandit
23rd May 2010, 12:34
Am I the only one who sees "Pin-Sized Prick" when reading the topic? :blink:

Steve

Well it is common to see what we are most used to seeing...

CookMySock
23rd May 2010, 14:06
Well it is common to see what we are most used to seeing...How many have you seen? :blink:

Steve

sleemanj
23rd May 2010, 22:21
Dumped most of the coolant into a bucket already, for ah transportation to a greenie-approved recycling facility.

It's not necessarily being greenie, ethylene glycol out of your radiator is real nasty stuff, apparently it has a sweet taste, and if you leave it around in open containers, or even a puddle on the ground, cats and dogs gladly will help themselves, and die painful deaths.

Kids too for that matter.

Doesn't take much apparently, it's a powerful poison.

So make sure you get that bucket covered up and dispose of it responsibly where animals and kids can't accidentally stumble upon it :Punk:

CookMySock
23rd May 2010, 22:29
Propylene glycol is much safer ;

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx

Good for spreading on your boyfriends' bum too. :niceone:

Steve

onearmedbandit
23rd May 2010, 22:39
You really worry me Steve.

breakaway
24th May 2010, 23:18
I had a fairly sizeable leak fixed on a 2009 Z750 radiator, cost me about $200 to have it 'professionally' repaired from a local radiator shop.

CookMySock
25th May 2010, 09:53
I had a fairly sizeable leak fixed on a 2009 Z750 radiator, cost me about $200 to have it 'professionally' repaired from a local radiator shop.LOL that would have been a dob of durafix for sure! :lol:

Steve

breakaway
25th May 2010, 20:37
Yep, it looked like a dab of hot glue. Glad I got rid of that bike :ride:

zden009
16th June 2010, 23:10
mate I think these 00- 03 GSXR's are bad for radiator leaks. My 750 had one- at first i used radiator stop leak which was good and fixed it for a while but then it started coming through again at which point i used JB WELD... good shit.

However I reckon once the crack has started it will keep going and eventually find it's way around even JB weld. Best option is another radiator from ebay.... i got one for 120NZD shipped to my door... not bad at all and way better than a rip off radiator repair.

good luck!

onearmedbandit
16th June 2010, 23:17
Yeah I think you might be right in just replacing it. I got it 'repaired' for $40 by a reputable shop, but they said the rad has seen better days and won't guarantee the work. It's lasted fine so far, and might last for a while yet. But in the mean time I'll keep my eyes peeled for a replacement.