PDA

View Full Version : Clutch engaged constantly

thepom
23rd May 2010, 07:56
My yamaha xt600 had the 5 th gear whine so I ve stripped and rebuilt the engine but cannot get the clutch to work.
So I,ve stripped the clutch and I can see it working but still won,t work....now I remember when I stripped it the clutch assy was always spinning and I had nothing to stop it spinning and that is when I broke the clutch housing.Now when I re assembled the engine I could tighten the clutch nut without it spinning so now I think I might have rebuilt it and done something wrong on the rebuild,enough for it to be constantly engaged untill it is in neutral......any idea,s before I strip it down again?

Katman
23rd May 2010, 08:58
Did you forget the washer that goes in behind the inner hub? Or if you pulled the clutch basket off as a whole the washer may have slipped down out of position and may not be on the transmission shaft but rather jammed in behind the hub.

thepom
23rd May 2010, 10:25
If its the one with splined teeth on then no I did,nt, I have another clutch assy and if you omit the washer you can see there is no gap there,but I ll pull it apart and check I put everything back together right. Cheers for the help and I ll let you know how I get on.....

Motu
23rd May 2010, 11:55
The basket and hub should spin freely (with no plates) on their own - hold one,spin the other.Remove hub and basket and repeat with the shafts - that will tell you if the fuck up is internal or external.

thepom
23rd May 2010, 13:38
Katman wins the teddy bear!......washer had dropped off and jammed behind the hub.....sadly stripped the oil filter thread so will have to helicoil it and replaced the munted gasket...so close to riding it its not funny ,hopefully no more problems after this and I can take it on the road for running it in....

thepom
25th May 2010, 18:56
Got a longer bolt and there is enough thread to hold it unless I do the helicoil at the weekend and the gasket is getting picked up tonight so I might be ready for the break in ride at the weekend if it stops pissing down.....