PDA

View Full Version : Foot positioning...

Nutter34
26th May 2010, 19:08
Mini-moto/pocket bike related...

Who's riding duck-foot or what's the best way to get your feet oota-the-way?

From some vids, it looks like guys are twisting there ankles to get there soles at an angle. Are there aftermarket pegs for this or just different feet positioning?

Do you guys place the right foot differently than the left due to the right side of the motor/starter getting in the way?

I suppose while I'm asking... What's the general foot gear? Hiking boots for ankle protection?

CookMySock
26th May 2010, 19:47
Um, you should use some proper leather bike boots, and just fiddle around trying different foot positions until it feels right. Foot position is more secondary to seating position I think - it dictates where you can and and can't park your feet, but yeah scraping them on the ground is quite distracting.

Steve

JimO
26th May 2010, 19:52
i thought your heading said food poisioning

firefighter
26th May 2010, 20:05
I suppose while I'm asking... What's the general foot gear? Hiking boots for ankle prtoection?

Jesus, if that's a serious question I hope that new look Camel-toe front end kwaka in your avatar is'nt yours.....

Ray LeCheminant
26th May 2010, 20:23
Who's riding duck-foot or what's the best way to get your feet oota-the-way?

From some vids, it looks like guys are twisting there ankles to get there soles at an angle. Are there aftermarket pegs for this or just different feet positioning?

Do you guys place the right foot differently than the left due to the right side of the motor/starter getting in the way?

I suppose while I'm asking... What's the general foot gear? Hiking boots for ankle prtoection?

Starter?....you mean rip cord?

Same foot position both side.

You can buy MEAT HOOKS....we only ever run 19mm nylon bar....

Boots - kart boots do the trick, you can buy minimoto boots, but they will be worth more that the bike

CookMySock
26th May 2010, 20:41
Ooops, minimoto thread. Soz I just noticed. Cheapo pair of warephare boots will do. Ankles loosen up after a while.

Steve

grantman
26th May 2010, 21:16
Does take a bit of practice to feel "right"
But a few laps and in the heat of battle you forget about how cramped you are.

Cutting a groove in the nylon helps to keep your feet on the pegs
I used hiking boots sometimes and road boots other times
But i think hiking boots were more comfortable
(Havnt riden mine in a long time .... Brought a bucket as mates are racing them too )
Enjoyed the minimoto though
My GRC Rep is still the crazyest motorcycle I own !

Nutter34
26th May 2010, 22:17
Jesus, if that's a serious question I hope that new look Camel-toe front end kwaka in your avatar is'nt yours.....

You realise the question is for when riding a mini-moto?

When I ride the praying mantis, I wear full gear, yes...

Nutter34
26th May 2010, 22:22
Starter?....you mean rip cord?

Same foot position both side.

You can buy MEAT HOOKS....we only ever run 19mm nylon bar....

Boots - kart boots do the trick, you can buy minimoto boots, but they will be worth more that the bike

Thanks.

Where do you guys get the nylon bar? How does it mount? You just drill a hole and smack it on?

Or are they made for moto pegs?

Is there a local source for meat hooks?

Could someone please post a pic? It'd be much easier than explaining. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

imdying
27th May 2010, 08:11
Yeah any plastics place will have it. Just drill it and use a hammer. Toes on the pegs, foot on the side. I've a better solution coming, more akin to foot boards.

firefighter
27th May 2010, 09:00
You realise the question is for when riding a mini-moto?

When I ride the praying mantis, I wear full gear, yes...

Yeah I realised it right after I wrote it.

Nutter34
27th May 2010, 12:29
Yeah any plastics place will have it. Just drill it and use a hammer. Toes on the pegs, foot on the side. I've a better solution coming, more akin to foot boards.

Sweet, thanks.

Lol, please don't tell me you're gonna rake it out and add ape hangers too...

imdying
27th May 2010, 13:10
Heh, no, they're only foot boards in the absolute loosest sense of the term. Mostly just something to stop feet moving forward... once they're forward, they're going down :(

{.bLanK}G_o_D
27th May 2010, 18:47
If you can get the sole of your foot flat against the side of the bike like I have seen many minimoto riders do, i have found that will give you all the clearance in the world but to me it feels way to vulnerable.
Ankles collar bones and wrists are the most common injuries on minimotos. I have already done a collar bone, don't plan on doing an ankle.

I ride with my toes flat on the pegs, heels resting on my "strong" chain guard and swing arm on the other side. The outside of my toes scrape on the ground when lent right over, no biggy, coz that's just a gnats cock away from scraping a peg and that will make you kiss the tarmac.
Go into my "CHCH Minimoto Practise 15-05-2010" picture album, there are some fairly high resolution pictures where you can see a few different foot positions.

I use to wear a pair of old Chuck Taylor shoes but they wore out pretty quick. I now wear a pair of proper motorcycle boots, it's not as comfy as the chuck taylors or imdyings minimoto shoes but provide much better ankle protection.

Yep just drill a hole in the nylon bar and bash it onto the foot peg mounts on the frame. Make sure it is a very tight fit, you don't want your peg coming loose or falling off.
IIRC we use 60-80mm of 30mm nylon bar, drill a 10mm or 11mm hole 40-45mm deep up the center, then drill a 12mm 5-10mm deep to make it easy to get the peg on, then bash it home with a hammer. It is also a good idea to chamfer the end of the peg to give you more lean angle clearance.

Here's a pic.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=205071&d=1271740086

Nutter34
28th May 2010, 12:29
Awesome info. Thanks for that.