PDA

View Full Version : Making a stainless steel pocket bike

daz71
29th May 2010, 12:08
Im coping my GP3 frame and making it out of stainless pipe and putting my b1 watercooled motor in it , So it will feel the same as my open class bike to ride.
I will keep my progress posted .

imdying
29th May 2010, 12:54
That's cool :yes:

Heavy?

daz71
29th May 2010, 13:05
Yeah something different aye. Ive got about a month to finish it for race day!!!!!!!!!

Nutter34
29th May 2010, 14:06
That's cool :yes:

Heavy?

Good work. But yeah, isn't it gonna be heavier?

daz71
29th May 2010, 14:10
Im using 1.5mm pipe and is going to be lighter than my b1 but only by a few kilos

imdying
29th May 2010, 14:39
I think Roger said his B1 powered bikes are 18kg, and 16kg for the A115 ones, so that's something to aim for. IIRC the A115 frame was 2.3kg and the B1 version was 1.8kg.

{.bLanK}G_o_D
29th May 2010, 15:09
Nice one. Go Daz! :scooter:
Looking good so far, weigh the frame when you are finished and let us know how heavy it is.

CookMySock
29th May 2010, 15:43
The stainless ones the highschool kids made were super light.

Steve

Nutter34
29th May 2010, 15:51
It's times like this I really think about getting a welder, lol...

And learning to weld.

CookMySock
29th May 2010, 16:05
It's times like this I really think about getting a welder, lol... And learning to weld.Get the welder and just start. Read up on youtube.

Steve

mr_penguin
29th May 2010, 16:31
Nice work bending tube Daz !

Be keen to see your handy work at the track :)

Hope your Gp3 reverse gremlins left the building to !!..

Regards
Ian

daz71
29th May 2010, 17:03
Hi Ian yeah i hope the gp3 probs are all gone ,have just run it in ,not going to ride it untill race day crossing fingers lol.

I have heard on the grapevine that your gp3 is all go now , it will make some good racing now.

daz71
29th May 2010, 17:17
The b1 bikes are about 26 kg and i weighed the frame it was 9kg give or take. The photo of my stainless one so far is 1kg ill keep ya posted.
here is a pick of the b1 frame.

888mike
31st May 2010, 13:02
Shit Daz you gunna be the flashest dude on the track Greg will spew when he see's that frame now you just need the Italian internals for your mota and game on. Well done.

Gadgit
31st May 2010, 18:37
Hay Daz.
What are you going to make the rear arm from?? Just an idea for ya.... if you make from the SS tube in a triangle form and maybe make the top part of the arm adjustable ie double rose joint ... then you can really tune the chassis for the track.... shorter wheel base quicker tighter turning but can be labeled twitchy by some ...longer wheel base smother cornering not as responsive... most GP3's and reps in NZ are a midi chassis so I would class it as a long wheel base but my GP3 is a mini and is alot shorter in the rear arm making mine a short wheel base... I love it but others that go from a midi on to mine say it corners fast but feels twitchy when pushed lol

daz71
31st May 2010, 20:10
Good thort gadgit it was going to be adjustable but its being made exactly the same as ( wheel base, footpegs, and seat height) my gp3 rep , i like the way it handles and feels and i want to keep all my bikes the same .
Also my old b1 frame will be chopped for a mod 49cc datona motor.
Whats your wheel base on your gp3 mini measure . I will have to come over one day and have a go . lol

schrodingers cat
31st May 2010, 21:19
You might get away with it and I may be overly anal about these things but S/S has a nasty habit of workhardening and cracking esp when subjected to vibration.
I hope I'm wrong cause with the short lengths and the design you're using it may be 'over engineered' and this isn't an issue.

S/S has loosely the same mechanical propeties as medium tensile steel so its worth trying (cheaper than Chro-Mo)

S/S is extremly low carbon steel, chromium and some other stuff. It is suseptible to contamination and carbon precipitation. As you weld the alloyed metals seperate and the weld area becomes carbon enriched (despite the very low carbon content - less than 0.3% off the top of my head)

If you can get access to an electropolisher you would be able to passivate the welds and reduce the carbon concentration in the weld and reestablish the parent metal properties.

As I say, good on you and I sincerly hope I/m wrong about the cracking

daz71
31st May 2010, 21:30
Yeah mate whoa you just done my head in lol, i am using 304 grade it will be fine might have the odd repair if i come off, oops when i come off lol.
I didnt learn to weld off you tube ha ha !!!!!!!

schrodingers cat
31st May 2010, 21:38
Is it worth some 0.9mm fishplates around the headstock to take divert the load paths?

Yeah I did see the brilliant suggestion. Personally I'm intersted in quantum physics and I'm avidly scouring UTube so I can build my own hadron collider with some good old kiwi No8 horseshit...:rolleyes:

daz71
31st May 2010, 21:52
I just watched LHC on youtube thats heavy shit i think ill stick with horseshit i can understand that.lol
Unless you can make a real small version of it then i will run a bike on it .

schrodingers cat
31st May 2010, 22:00
Promise that as soon as I can harness the power of a black hole I'll give you first option on the engine I will develop. All that energy in a small package will be perfect for a pocketbike:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Gadgit
31st May 2010, 22:16
Whats your wheel base on your gp3 mini measure . I will have to come over one day and have a go . lol

Shoot I'll have to go mesure the two bikes again lol. The only difference in lenght is in the rear arm and off the top of my head was 25mm but I'll check that out next time I'm down at the shed... Happy to let ya rip on the Duke but keep in mind she bites compaired to a rep lol

imdying
1st June 2010, 11:51
No matter which way you cut it, it's gonna be awesome! Will you make another to order and $$$?

{.bLanK}G_o_D
1st June 2010, 12:23
Promise that as soon as I can harness the power of a black hole I'll give you first option on the engine I will develop. All that energy in a small package will be perfect for a pocketbike:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

Ooo I wonder how that will go against our falling cat and buttered toast powered minimoto.

onearmedbandit
1st June 2010, 12:25
Hell yes, looks very tasty.

daz71
1st June 2010, 18:01
No matter which way you cut it, it's gonna be awesome! Will you make another to order and $$$?

I will think about it when i finish all my projects will let you know lol

daz71
1st June 2010, 19:24
Just an update on my bike, so far i have setup motor mount, radiator mount and front steering yeah.!!!!!!!

schrodingers cat
1st June 2010, 19:39
Ooo I wonder how that will go against our falling cat and buttered toast powered minimoto.

Obviously the strength of yours will be in its ability to turn quickly. It will be the race of the century!

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 19:54
S/S has a nasty habit of workhardening and cracking esp when subjected to vibration. [....] I sincerly hope I/m wrong about the crackingUnfortunately I think you are right. Stainless steel is avoided in larger built-in marine fuel tanks for the same reason.

I have had one frame "go" on me, and it clean snapped in two in the blink of an eye. It had a fat bastard riding it though. :niceone:

Steve

daz71
1st June 2010, 20:23
Dude ive made heaps of stainless tanks for big boats ,cars and trucks, the only difference is cost and personal preference.:msn-wink:

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 20:24
Dude ive made heaps of stainless tanks for big boats ,cars and trucks, the ony diffrence is cost and personal preference.Your call bro. Thats just what I was told by an injuneer.

Steve

Gadgit
1st June 2010, 21:16
Haha reading some of these replys.....I guess no one knows what ya do to pay the bills Daz ;)

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 22:26
Haha reading some of these replys.....I guess no one knows what ya do to pay the bills Daz ;)No, they don't. They are just repeating their own personal experience, or passing on what knowledge they have picked up along the way. What else did you think they would do?

Perhaps you might do the same, rather than smirk that contributors are morons.

Steve

orange
1st June 2010, 22:45
this looks like fun project

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/img8462hw.jpg/

Gadgit
1st June 2010, 22:51
No, they don't. They are just repeating their own personal experience, or passing on what knowledge they have picked up along the way. What else did you think they would do?

Perhaps you might do the same, rather than smirk that contributors are morons.

Steve

Not smirking steve in any way shape or form you may have taking my post the wrong way perhaps....so I'll put it in plane text so as it's not taken the wrong way... Daz is in the trade....

Gadgit
1st June 2010, 22:53

V twin pocket bike now we're talking lol

schrodingers cat
2nd June 2010, 08:24

Because we can!
Always a good policy to bring a gun to a knifefight

imdying
2nd June 2010, 09:18

I've seen the Vyrus pocket bike before, but that never that evil beast. That looks like a fantastic way to die, me wants!

{.bLanK}G_o_D
2nd June 2010, 16:44

Yeah i'd hit that.

888mike
3rd June 2010, 15:51
Hey Darren thats lookin awesum bro, are you comin down for a ride this weekend ive already heard from the other Waihi lad that he's not I might even get my GRC out an see if the bastard will go.

imdying
3rd June 2010, 16:16
Daz is in the trade....Another way to look at it... we go nuts on those D2s, and I don't think any of the guys that build those are welders :laugh:

daz71
3rd June 2010, 18:25
Hey Darren thats lookin awesum bro, are you comin down for a ride this weekend ive already heard from the other Waihi lad that he's not I might even get my GRC out an see if the bastard will go.

I will come down on sunday mike but only for a few hours, i want to finish running in my gp3 rep
The kids have got roller hockey in tauranga so i will have to pick them up:yes:

BigAl
3rd June 2010, 21:13
Just saw your frame Daz, looks very cool.

Won't be as exciting w/o all the flex of chinka frames, lol.

daz71
5th June 2010, 19:12
Next update on the bike , Im getting anxious to get on it:Punk:

mr_penguin
5th June 2010, 19:30
rock on daz good work :) nice to see an update :)

daz71
17th June 2010, 19:53
Just another update not far to go now ,only footpegs , rear mudguard bracket and a few spacers .
Cant wait to thrash the shit out of it lol .
Found some tricks on pocket bike planet for eng mods gona do those to.

imdying
17th June 2010, 20:09
Bad arse, hope it goes mint for ya :)

CookMySock
17th June 2010, 22:04
Nice. Are you going to brace the rear a bit more? It looks like it's hanging out there in the breeze a bit.

Steve

Ray LeCheminant
17th June 2010, 22:07
Just another update not far to go now ,only footpegs , rear mudguard bracket and a few spacers .
Cant wait to thrash the shit out of it lol .
Found some tricks on pocket bike planet for eng mods gona do those to.

That is so damn cool....well done mate...nice looking bike!!

mr_penguin
18th June 2010, 15:49
Dats not bad daz can't wait to see how you go at edgecombe on that !

Ian

{.bLanK}G_o_D
19th June 2010, 11:39
Not bad.
Not a lot of chain adjustment in that rear wheel.
Do I see the pull start on the inside of the swingarm?

daz71
19th June 2010, 16:47
Im gona slot the holes for the rear wheel it will give about 25mm adjustment. And yeah pullstart is on the inside it will keep away from feet but is very easy to get and pull. also to db yeah mate i am incorperating a bracket with rear brake ,and another side will be a type of chain guard

motorbyclist
20th June 2010, 15:33
Nice. Are you going to brace the rear a bit more? It looks like it's hanging out there in the breeze a bit.

As an engineer with a keen interest in motorcycle chassis, leaving it like that.

Ok, first check it's strong enough (can help there if you don't know how), but the flexibility will actually act as suspension to help improve traction on the rear. Too much flexibility and things get unstable, but jsut a little will act as suspension where you need it.

even modern bikes have flexibility in the chassis at the right places to enhance traction and it often makes the difference between a good bike and a great bike :)

daz71
2nd July 2010, 21:29
Its all done now ready to ride all it needs is some savas

stallion
2nd July 2010, 22:22
now lets see if it goes as good as it looks

motorbyclist
3rd July 2010, 15:40
going to put a filter on that carby or is the tyre going to be free to throw grit into the intake?

CookMySock
3rd July 2010, 18:29
Thats pretty cool, mate. Looking forward to seeing it.

Steve

BigAl
3rd July 2010, 19:11
Very Cool Daz, have you got an all up weight yet?

schrodingers cat
3rd July 2010, 19:32
Next project?
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z5SiGHNEGIY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z5SiGHNEGIY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

daz71
3rd July 2010, 22:15
not yet bigal but the frame is 4kg lighter than b1, took it for a ride today came off smashed seat faring but allgood

daz71
4th August 2010, 13:45
I couldnt wait for a new seat so i made my own
214947 214948