PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke mix?

froggyfrenchman
31st May 2010, 12:22
Hi Guys,
A work mate of mine has just brought a Day2 minimoto for his son. I have given it the once over to get it going for him, but need to know what sort of mix to run in the fuel.
This bike is not going to be raced, just a toy for kids to ride in the driveway.
Cheers Dan

888mike
31st May 2010, 12:54
Run it in on 25:1 aprox 1 full tank of running then change to 35:1 and it will last for years for the kids but you will find the kids will out grow the driveway quick unless it's half a K long.

CookMySock
31st May 2010, 16:45
For a kids toy, the main thing you need is to be able to idle it extensively, so I'd be looking at a quality synthetic as lean as you possibly can. Get a quality sparkplug for it, and make it one size hotter.

It would be different if it got a regular cane around a track, but I think the adults will get pretty sick of always trying to get it going and cleaning its plug.

Steve

{.bLanK}G_o_D
1st June 2010, 12:19
DB has a point.
But he failed to mention what "as lean as you possibly can" is.
Give it a tank or two on 25:1 to make sure the rings bed in. Then you can lean it out to 50:1

mohawk
1st June 2010, 15:03
Yup, i run all 6 bikes at 50 to 1. I use valvaline outboard oil . I keep it the same for the jetski, chainsaw and bikes ( even for running in) so I never get mixed up.
What mix you run is the last of your worries if your bikes are Chinese , lol.

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 16:15
DB has a point. But he failed to mention what "as lean as you possibly can" is. Give it a tank or two on 25:1 to make sure the rings bed in. Then you can lean it out to 50:1Fuel/oil mix is a very personal thing - everyone does their own thing, and for seemingly totally random reasons if you EVERRRRR put anyone elses' fuel mix in your bike you will instantly and irretrievably fuck it. :blink:

It's like, if you loan your chainsaw or outboard motor to someone, they will seize the fucker every time! No one loans two tangers or uses anyone elses fuel.

I'd start on a quality synthetic at 50:1, not because you are racing it, but because you dont want it to foul, and then slowly slowly keep cutting the oil back until it stops dripping everywhere at the tailpipe and it starts and idles reliably. God knows what you mix you will end up with, but quite likely you wont want to tell people about it.

You must get rid of that chinese spark plug though, and go to a quality NGK, and resist the temptation to use the three-month old lawn mower petrol out of the shed. :shutup:

If you do all that, it should start on the second pull and idle all day so dad doesnt get pissed off with starting it four thousand times a day. It's hard for the kids to start the daytonas coz they are actually quite high compression. You might put an extra gasket under the cylinder head so they can learn to pull-start it themselves - that might take the power-band edge off its shitty little self too.

Steve

{.bLanK}G_o_D
1st June 2010, 17:03
It's like, if you loan your chainsaw or outboard motor to someone, they will seize the fucker every time!

Bahahahahaha ring any bells Mal?