PDA

View Full Version : Clutch niggle. Diagnosis?

bastardsquad
1st June 2010, 12:44
I've noticed an odd phenomenon with my clutch, wondering if it's an adjustment thing. Basically if i pull it halfway in and change gear it seems normal with respect to clunkiness, but if I pull the lever in fully to the handgrip changes seem 'clunky'. Picked bike up at 15,000 km, now done 19,000km- changed oil at 17,000 km and after this I started to become more aware of it. In hindsight it was a little clunky prior to changing the oil also , particularly when engaging first (fairly normal for many bikes I gather). It's an 07 ER6n. Any thoughts on the full/half pull on the clutch making a difference?

CookMySock
1st June 2010, 14:00
I bet the chain is a bit loose.

Steve

pete376403
1st June 2010, 20:47
Any possibility the cable anchor on the clutch lever is going over centre when pulled right to the bar? Don't know how this would happen unless the lever and lever mounting were from different manufacturers (ie aftermarket lever on original mount). You could watch the cable action as you work the lever and see if it slackens off a bit as the lever approaches the bar. (all bets off if its a hydraulic clutch )

bastardsquad
2nd June 2010, 10:09
Hmm... i'll check the chain, new tyres front & rear when I got it, so last chain adjustment wasn't aeons ago. Clutch lever/mount is factory standard, its an adjustable lever though , if that makes any difference...

bastardsquad
29th June 2010, 10:00
Followup: Chain slack reduced from 50mm to 35mm (30-40 spec) made pretty minimal difference, if any- difficult to discerne any change. However oil/filter change completed on the weekend has completely eliminated the issue, changes are now smooth. Was using Castrol 4T (the cheaper of the 3) which ran fine in my 07 gpx250. Now using Motul 10-40, and problem gone. Hard to fathom why the Castrol caused clunky shifts even when fresh *shrugs*.

Edit: seems the Castrol power 1 4T is a 15-40, the Motul is a 10-40...shouldnt make all that difference tho?