PDA

View Full Version : Riding boots

Real_Wolf
3rd June 2010, 18:15
Simple thread. Current boots, something like $20 working boots from the warehouse are finally starting to fall apart (damn good value for money), and was thinking of buying actual riding boots.

Was mostly wondering general opinions on what is worth it, how much to expect to pay, whats a rip off, what useful aspects are, what brands to avoid, or take a good look at, etc.

Most of what I'm generally after:
Not too concerned about style
Would prefer something that can be walked in so don't have to cart seperate pair of shoes around, but not required.
Preferrably not incredibly expensive, would like it if its not more expensive than any other piece of gear I own, though admittedly my water proof pants were dirt cheap, bought purely because of waterproof, my summer gloves the same, and my jacket bought off some shady guy from trademe (under $100 for a quasimoto cordura+leather).

jono035
3rd June 2010, 18:30
I bought a $150 pair of RJays boots that have served me well in some pretty heavy rain, but I haven't seen any at all that I'd be all that keen on walking in... If you would rather be able to walk in them then maybe a quality pair of light over-ankle workboots might be a better bet.

Real_Wolf
3rd June 2010, 18:33
I bought a $150 pair of RJays boots that have served me well in some pretty heavy rain, but I haven't seen any at all that I'd be all that keen on walking in... If you would rather be able to walk in them tehn maybe a quality pair of light over-ankle workboots might be a better bet
Not really long distance walking, just able to walk enough such as between classes, etc
Other than that, thats basically what I currently have, if I can't find something to suit I know warehouse has something that'll do

Squiggles
3rd June 2010, 18:34
Could try http://www.lifestyle-imports.co.nz/shop/ or www.1tonne.co.nz

mrchips
3rd June 2010, 18:43
I bought some harley davidson boots from wgtn motorcycles. They look like work boots.
Steel capped, good ankle protection & very hard wearing + very comfy to walk about in all day.. highly recomended.

3 years old & they still look brand new.

rustic101
3rd June 2010, 18:53
I purchased some Technic Defenders last August $200 ish, and they are shit and have fallen to bits.
My new boots are Axo Primato, brand new off trade me $150, seller bought and they did not fit and he never took them back to exchange - My gain :)
They were from Cycletreds.

Danae
4th June 2010, 03:14
I have a $100 pair of 1Tonne boots that as of yet have never got water in them. After about an hour of walking they get a little uncomfortable (but that's what an hour of walking does...lol) but other than that they're good for between classes. I think the velcro is dying a bit however...but I reckon I've nearly had them a year now.

YellowDog
4th June 2010, 06:12
I use these and they are excellent in all conditions:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/andwend/SIDICANYON_.jpg

GOONR
4th June 2010, 08:06
I have Oxford Bone Dry boots. What a joke that name is, if it's raining I might as well stick my feet in the bath before I go out. They leak badly because I had to epoxy parts of the sole back on, I wouldn't recommend these unless your a fish.

Phreak
4th June 2010, 10:27
Get yourself some combat boots, I got my first pair years ago when I was in the Army and they are by far the most comfortable things you can put on your feet! I have since upgraded to an American made pair, but pretty much the same theory applies. Good protection, ankle support, steel in the cap sole and heel, and waterproof. And REALLY nice to walk in, seeing as that is what they were made for!

wysper
4th June 2010, 10:35
Get yourself some combat boots, I got my first pair years ago when I was in the Army and they are by far the most comfortable things you can put on your feet! I have since upgraded to an American made pair, but pretty much the same theory applies. Good protection, ankle support, steel in the cap sole and heel, and waterproof. And REALLY nice to walk in, seeing as that is what they were made for!

what sort of ankle protection is in a combat boot? Isn't it just reinforced leather?

Real_Wolf
4th June 2010, 12:41
I use these and they are excellent in all conditions:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb93/andwend/SIDICANYON_.jpg

They look nice, but the only price I can find of them, at motomail, sits them at $500. Dun think its really worth it that much when I can get a pair of "racing" boots from the 1tonne website for $180

I have Oxford Bone Dry boots. What a joke that name is, if it's raining I might as well stick my feet in the bath before I go out. They leak badly because I had to epoxy parts of the sole back on, I wouldn't recommend these unless your a fish.
Lol

what sort of ankle protection is in a combat boot? Isn't it just reinforced leather?
Was wondering this. Sounds good if there is actual protection, but from what I can see its merely just that it has leather that goes up the leg. Not walking so far with boots on that the REALLY nice to walk in sells it to me

Edit:
http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&prodid=13&sco=&categoryid=6
I think those ones are of the most interest to me so far

Dare
4th June 2010, 13:26
T
http://www.1tonne.co.nz/index.php?page=listingDetails&prodid=13&sco=&categoryid=6
I think those ones are of the most interest to me so far
I was looking at these beauties the other day http://www.oakley.com/elite/assaultboot http://www.oakley.com/catalog/products/s-i-assault-boot-8-inch
But being designed for combat =/= being able to take a slide at 60mph. I'm just guessing here. Still, RRP $185. Fire plus slash plus chemical resistant. For those nasty crashes.

Real_Wolf
4th June 2010, 14:52
While they aren't bad (and as you said aren't made specifically for riding), thats $185 USD, so would be almost twice the price of the current ones linked

YellowDog
4th June 2010, 15:48
They look nice, but the only price I can find of them, at motomail, sits them at $500. Dun think its really worth it that much when I can get a pair of "racing" boots from the 1tonne website for $180

Mine cost a big fat Zero as they are provided by my employer.

So for me, they are the best value around.

I don't like racing boots for riding around town.

Real_Wolf
4th June 2010, 16:31
Oh god, racing boots for wearing round uni would be painful, not the best for walking around. Other boots I listed are much more of a worthwhile idea

Ixion
4th June 2010, 17:10

+1. I am SO over motorcycle boots. Ovepriced, crap quality and leak like a leaky thing.

Those are the ones that put me finally right off motorcycle boots. Absolutely total and utter crap. I have also had to expoxy the soles back on, but now the uppers are breaking in half. Total rubbish.

What you need to do is get up to the Army Surplus place in K Road opposite the billboard of the chick with the gimormous tits, and get a pair of Army Surplus combat boots. Their stock varies, I got new Brit Paratroop boots for $300 and odd, they had Danish Army for about $100 . Mine are totally water proof, solid as a politicians head, and dead comfortable to walk around in all day. Tough leather and special ankle support (paratroops - think about it !).

Dare
4th June 2010, 17:23
What you need to do is get up to the Army Surplus place in K Road opposite the billboard of the chick with the gimormous tits, and get a pair of Army Surplus combat boots.
Thanks for reminding me about that place! Rep for you. EDIT: Haven't spread enough apparently.

jono035
4th June 2010, 18:36
Ahhh, the paratrooper boots are a good thought. Mine have held up quite well over the past year but I only walk out the front door and to the shed followed by walking up 2 flights of stairs and into the lab.

motorbyclist
5th June 2010, 13:58
Not really long distance walking, just able to walk enough such as between classes, etc
i manage quite well in my "racing boots", but they are by no means cheap :p

of course what makes them "racing" is light weight and breathability. The zip isn't waterproof and you do get wet after a while in heavy rain. Man Up.

"combat" boots would do just as well as tramping boots in a slide; pretty well really that leather is probably thicker than normal bike boots anyway!

crash harry
5th June 2010, 15:12
I've got 2 different pairs of Sidi boots - one racing-style pair and one touring style pair. Both are completely waterproof and I've had them for ages. The race boots have been crashed in several times and stood up really well. They aren't cheap - I think the were about $300 a pair, but they have lasted really well through some pretty harsh treatment and they've still got years in them.
I would buy Sidi again for sure.
The touring boots are pretty flexible really quite comfortable to walk in. Not maybe for miles and miles, but I often ride places when I'm meeting friends and more than once I've worn them out to town for the night with no hassles. Bonus is that they prett much look like leather shoes sticking out from under your jeans.
Forget about the racing boots for walking in. They make you walk like a cowboy because your ankles won't bend properly.

Usarka
5th June 2010, 15:32
I'm slightly paranoid about the combination of laces and pegs since i saw someone who couldn't get their foot down at the lights......

Dare
5th June 2010, 15:33
The touring boots are pretty flexible really quite comfortable to walk in. Not maybe for miles and miles, but I often ride places when I'm meeting friends and more than once I've worn them out to town for the night with no hassles. Bonus is that they prett much look like leather shoes sticking out from under your jeans.
/Thread?
Incidentally have been trying to find pants that a.Don't look & sound ridiculous off the bike and b. would stand up to a crash/moderate rain.
Wondering if army surplus has anything.. Might pop up now if they are open, need a gas mask!

Slyer
5th June 2010, 15:49
My Gaerne boots are great for walking around and waterproof too!

jono035
5th June 2010, 20:19
i manage quite well in my "racing boots", but they are by no means cheap :p

of course what makes them "racing" is light weight and breathability. The zip isn't waterproof and you do get wet after a while in heavy rain. Man Up.

"combat" boots would do just as well as tramping boots in a slide; pretty well really that leather is probably thicker than normal bike boots anyway!

My concern isn't just a slide. Having a bit of solid structure there in case of the bike ending up on your foot in whatever situation would be pretty useful. A mate just got out of the hospital after having his bike come down on his foot during a low speed high-side. 2 plates, 14 screws and a bone graft = something to be avoided...

Real_Wolf
6th June 2010, 00:00
My concern isn't just a slide. Having a bit of solid structure there in case of the bike ending up on your foot in whatever situation would be pretty useful. A mate just got out of the hospital after having his bike come down on his foot during a low speed high-side. 2 plates, 14 screws and a bone graft = something to be avoided...

Would the 'top' boots have saved it though? and how common is this in occurence?

Still rather tempted by the 1tonne boots so far, $135 is alot less than $300 that alot of the other ideas are possibly costing, though the army stock boots are very tempting. Anyone know rough prices on them?

jono035
6th June 2010, 00:08
Would the 'top' boots have saved it though? and how common is this in occurence?

Still rather tempted by the 1tonne boots so far, $135 is alot less than $300 that alot of the other ideas are possibly costing, though the army stock boots are very tempting. Anyone know rough prices on them?

No idea, will ask him what boots he was wearing once a little bit of time has gone by. I would imagine that falling off your bike in such a way that your foot ends up between the ground and the bike would be a common enough occurence to want to plan for it. I certainly don't think that expensive boots are going to be a panacea, but I'd sure has hell put more faith in them than standard workboots. The paratrooper boots sound good.

As with anything, it's your ankles, buy what you want but joint injuries can have serious impacts on you for the rest of your life.

rapid van cleef
6th June 2010, 01:50
do NOT wear boots with steel toe caps in for riding a bike. the potential for the steel cap to slice off your toes in a bad crash is huge.

jono035
6th June 2010, 11:03
do NOT wear boots with steel toe caps in for riding a bike. the potential for the steel cap to slice off your toes in a bad crash is huge.

I did some reading a while back into the whole toe-caps-cutting-off-your-toes thing after getting a pair for work and it seemed pretty clear back then that if it was a big enough weight to make the caps deform enough to cut your toes off, chances are they were toast anyway!

scumdog
6th June 2010, 11:14
I bought some harley davidson boots from wgtn motorcycles. They look like work boots.
Steel capped, good ankle protection & very hard wearing + very comfy to walk about in all day.. highly recomended.

3 years old & they still look brand new.

Sorta like him.

Steel-cap boots (cap in-built and covered ) with old ex army (don't ask which army..) gaiters, lasted for yonks, keep the breeze from whistlin' up ma britches and combined with waterproof leggings I have never had wet feetl

And with gaiters off (or even with them on if you can't be buggered) they're ok for walking around in.

Real_Wolf
6th June 2010, 11:45
I did some reading a while back into the whole toe-caps-cutting-off-your-toes thing after getting a pair for work and it seemed pretty clear back then that if it was a big enough weight to make the caps deform enough to cut your toes off, chances are they were toast anyway!

Actually, I remember hearing something, though not necessarily from a reliable source, but it sounds plausible.

it was that should a weight drop with sufficient weight onto your toes that this happens, I can't remember if it was designed or just a side effect, but the slicing off of your toes meant it would be easy to graft them back on than having them completely crushed by the weight which would be significant

Squiggles
6th June 2010, 12:54

Hardly scientific but i believe mythbusters attempted it and takes a helluvalot of weight

motorbyclist
9th June 2010, 18:46
I'm slightly paranoid about the combination of laces and pegs since i saw someone who couldn't get their foot down at the lights......

lol after my first two drops on my L plate i've since always made sure that my feet are untangled before coming to a halt ;)

my higher end boots have the normal toe slider, stiff sole and ankle brace, but also offer shin guards and stupid looking heel thingies (so after flipping over the bonnet of a car you dont smash both heels on the road and end up unable to walk for a period of time)

Hardly scientific but i believe mythbusters attempted it and takes a helluvalot of weight

as much as some numpty in a 3000kg SUV driving over your foot? divide by four and it's still a fair bit of weight....

if you're worried about foot squishing, buy motox boots; they're heavy and awkward for both road riding and walking, but you can kick trees at speed and more :D

jono035
9th June 2010, 20:05
as much as some numpty in a 3000kg SUV driving over your foot? divide by four and it's still a fair bit of weight...

You'd be doing well to get the full weight on your foot, especially with bigger tires. I had my old boss basically park the work truck on my foot while wearing steel caps, didn't notice until I tried to walk away... Swearing ensued...

jono035
13th July 2010, 17:21
As requested by Mr Dodge:

I dropped the bike at 30km/hr on sunday due to a poorly thought out left hand turn into what was a patch of gravel in the centre of a wide, perfectly sealed intersection. Big scuffs on all my cordura (which did it's job perfectly, saving me from what would have been a severe knee, elbow and hand injury).

The boots, however, were water-proof RJays boots with stiff leather but no ankle support. Because of this, a minor drop has broken my ankle in a way that, for a couple of days, looked like it was going to require plates, screws and serious rehab time after a week in hospital.

Take from this what you will, but I will be buying boots with solid ankle supports (racing boot style) and wearing these from now on. I will NEVER wear most of the boots suggested in this thread.

Don't expect this to change anyones mind, but just let me say this: Reduction on a broken ankle with an unstable mortise is done a) in a very violent manner and b) without any form of pain relief. Most painful thing I have EVER experienced.

Edit: Drop was entirely my fault due to making a turn into a patch or road that I hadn't scanned before hand, being on the front brake and not letting off in time when I saw the gravel. Front wheel locked and it lowsided with my ankle still under the bike and it coming down across my knee. Entirely my fault, but doesn't mean I don't wish they hadn't sent someone to sweep up the goddamn road.

motorbyclist
13th July 2010, 18:08
did you go down with the ship or jump clear?

ie did the bike crush the bone or did you do some impressive ankle twisting?

EDIT: is the bike ok?

EDIT EDIT: guts bro - how long you off walking/riding for?

Squiggles
13th July 2010, 18:10
As requested by Mr Dodge:

I wanted a review of the moon-boot.

jono035
13th July 2010, 20:32
did you go down with the ship or jump clear?

ie did the bike crush the bone or did you do some impressive ankle twisting?

EDIT: is the bike ok?

EDIT EDIT: guts bro - how long you off walking/riding for?

Neither I'd say, I think it was more the front wheel went down and I kinda carried on face first. Certainly didn't get any of that 'happened in slow motion' effect going on, it was more like oo look, gravel, I better ease off the front braWHAM ouch bikestillrunningbikestillrunninghitoffswitchhitoff switch whew... fall over because left ankle isn't working anymore.

Wasn't so much a crush as I think the bike pinned my foot and I turned as I was pitched off, twisting the ankle a bit.

Bike is ok, pulverized the mirror and indicator, some pretty big gouges out of the fairings but the magic of MEK will sort that out. Most gutting thing was that it bent the mirror/fairing mounting bar that I remember you mentioning several times. Looks like it'll bend back ok though, was a simple bend at the bottom joint, will hit it with the blowtorch and swing it around, might get it blasted and repainted.

Well it's my left foot so I can still drive (the accord is an auto). 2 weeks in plaster then 4 in fibreglass/moonboot (yeah, yeah, I'll be sure to post a review of that Stephen. Perhaps you can post a review of how it feels up your ass!). Was talking to a hardcase triumph cruiser rider in the hospital who said to just get a piece of rubber and glue it to the heel of the moonboot to give me some way of hooking the shifter up and I'll be good to go...

Shouldn't be any rehab time though, which I'm thankful for, can just step straight out and get straight back on the bike, which I'm already looking forward to.

Dare
13th July 2010, 23:21
Shouldn't be any rehab time though, which I'm thankful for, can just step straight out and get straight back on the bike, which I'm already looking forward to.
Glad to hear it. If pain is a lesson then bikers are at the back of the class firing spit wads at each other.

Danae
14th July 2010, 19:40
Ooooh, I have plain leather boots with no real ankle support I guess...but I can't exactly afford awesum racing boots.

jono035
14th July 2010, 20:22
Ooooh, I have plain leather boots with no real ankle support I guess...but I can't exactly afford awesum racing boots.

Oh, I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's not exactly a life or death issue. As I see it, it could easily be the difference between walking away and 6 weeks in a cast, however.

On a similar note, the guy in the bed opposite to me (who was morphined into oblivion the entire time I was there) broke his left leg in several places and ruptured all the tendons in it as well when riding a 50cc scooter... Caught the belly of it going around a corner and high-sided it.